Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411487 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 11:53:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTiny Little Bastards [Sidescroller Action-RPG]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Tiny Little Bastards [Sidescroller Action-RPG]  (Read 6663 times)
joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 09:57:59 AM »

Beer! Thanks for the comments, everyone!  Beer!

I mean your character is CLEARLY a Dwarf to me :p And the title is composed of tow word out of 3 describing smallness, that's 66%. You can tell me, I won't repeat it.

Isn't every tiny bearded beer-drinking viking a dwarf!? I like this way of thinking!

This looks super cool, loving the weight of the animations. Also loving how the lighting changes the colour of the line work on the characters, makes them really feel like part of the world!

Great work : )

Also if no-one has mentioned it, I've been using Giffing Tool (http://www.giffingtool.com/) for making gifs. Not sure what the framerate will be like but I love being able to quickly trim the start and end!

I used light shaders on top of everything but the GUI! I like the way it influences the whole artwork as well! I'm glad you agree!
And I will take a look at this Giffing Tool! Seems to be good! Thank you for the tip!

TIG - Devlog<br />Twitter<br />Facebook<br />
joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 06:10:58 PM »

Update 5 - Run Cycle and Stamina

Today we finished implementing the Run Cycle (gif bellow) and the Stamina System! To be able to run, perform combos, block or use abilities, the player needs Stamina. The stamina bar will be replenished everytime the player well... stops using it!  Durr...?

Soon I'll write a deeper post about the relationship between stamina and the combat system!

On to the next challenge! Beer!

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 10:34:21 PM »

Cool beards! I wish I could d(g)raw same one Tongue

Do you have more info about the combat? Like, can we do cool combos? Do you have upgrades? Talents? Something? Please? Shrug

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2015, 06:45:18 AM »

Do you have more info about the combat? Like, can we do cool combos? Do you have upgrades? Talents? Something? Please? Shrug

Yes to all! Tonight I'll write about it and explain the whole combat! Beer!

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 08:07:15 PM »

Update 6 - Combat!

Hey guys! Today I will talk a little bit about the Combat in Tiny Little Bastards! We stil don't have all the information needed to write a FULL POST about upgrades, talents and things like this. But at the end of this post I'll discuss them a bit so you can know what we've been thinking about!

Weapons and their behavior:

In Tiny Little Bastards the player will be able to chose a weapon (after unlocking it) in the Weapon Rack to face the challenges of the world. There will be three weapons available: The Axe (and shield); The Hammer; and The Spear. Each of them have unique capabilities, stats and a single battle ability. By choosing a different weapon, the play style must change as well! (to change weapons the player must be at the "hub". It will not be possible to change weapons during missions or dungeons)

The Axe and Shield: Medium attack speed; Short range; Medium damage; - Can Block enemy attacks.
The Spear: High attack speed; Long range; Small damage; - Can use Back-Dash
The Hammer: Low attack speed; Medium Range. High damage - Can use Hammer Stomp (knockback + stun)

Battle Stances and their mechanics:

While in combat, the player will be able to use three battle stances: Blood; Frost and Fire. Many enemies will also have this kind of stance but, differently from the player, they can only have one. Since the stances are independent from the weapons, they can be changed whenever the player wishes (if there's enough mana/stamina).

Every stance has a weakness and a strength. The player must know his weakness and strength to be able to fight better against some kinds of creatures. Strong stance hits will deal a base 200% damage + Upgrades and Talents while weak stance hits deal a base 20% damage.

Blood: Strong against Frost but Weak against Fire.
Frost: Strong against Fire but Weak against Blood.
Fire: Strong against Blood but weak against Frost.

Stamina & Combos:

Every weapon has it's own combos composed by base attacks and strong attacks. Combos can have up to 3 hits with only one of them being a strong hit. For example: X + X + X is a combo of 3 base hits. X + Y + X and X + X + Y are different combos with a strong hit. Enemies will react differently when faced with different combo hits.

To be able to perform combos, the player must first learn the moves from the weapon trainer and have enough Stamina to actually execute the moves. Higher level combos moves require higher amounts of Stamina.

Stamina is also spent when the player uses his abilities and even when getting hit by enemies. Resting will replenish Stamina.

Upgrades and Talents

Almost every aspect of the player will have upgrades. There will be weapon trainers to upgrade the weapons stats, ability trainers to upgrade abilities effect and talents to change stance behavior.

As soon as we have all this upgrades and talents stuff a little bit more defined I will write a post about it!

I hope you like it!

Beer!  On to the next!  Beer!

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »

The Axe and Shield: Medium attack speed; Short range; Medium damage; - Can Block enemy attacks.
The Spear: High attack speed; Long range; Small damage; - Can use Back-Dash
The Hammer: Low attack speed; Medium Range. High damage - Can use Hammer Stomp (knockback + stun)
Do I need to switch constantly, or I can finish the game with only one weapon that I think is more powerful? Because if so, I just skipped 2/3 of games weapons...
But if I need to change them (only at hub, right?) how do I know which one is better for upcoming enemies?

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2015, 12:16:00 AM »

Do I need to switch constantly, or I can finish the game with only one weapon that I think is more powerful? Because if so, I just skipped 2/3 of games weapons...
But if I need to change them (only at hub, right?) how do I know which one is better for upcoming enemies?

Hi, @Patomkin!

Actually you'll acquire each weapon (except for the axe and shield as they're the starters) through missions (compulsory ones) ... and while on a specific weapon mission, you'll have to play with that weapon (ex: to get the spear you must play a whole dungeon with the spear). This will show players each weapon so they can choose what they would like to do.

When you chose a weapon your whole battle changes! So it's like playing something different! Of course you can play the whole game with just one weapon, but since the game has a metroidvania "thing" on it and the weapons and abilities can be used outside battle to reach weird places or break walls/floor...the levels are made to be played more than once with different weapons!

I see the weapons as something similar to "classes" but they're not classes per se. Wouldn't it be fun to "change classes" along the game!? Replay levels in a different way and access different areas depending on the weapon you're using?

Also, we want the game to be something closer to what the player wants than what we want... I mean... The player will have many choices along the way! The path to the end of a dungeon, the weapon, to help someone or not (this changes the story as well!)... we want "choice" to be a strong word in Tiny Little Bastards!

What do you think about it? Wink

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2015, 02:05:04 AM »

Cool stuff! I like the artstyle! Smiley
Fun to see a flowchart of the enemy AI and then seeing it in the gif!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2015, 03:46:31 AM »

It seems to me that this would be a easily funded on kickstarter. Do you guys have any plans towards that?
Other than that, everything looks very neat.
Another question. As a martia artist myself, one thing we know about stances is that they change your reach, will that happen in your project too?

Keep it up!

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2015, 08:23:06 AM »

Cool stuff! I like the artstyle! Smiley
Fun to see a flowchart of the enemy AI and then seeing it in the gif!

Thank you! I like to show technical stuff alongside with in-game behavior!  Wink

It seems to me that this would be a easily funded on kickstarter. Do you guys have any plans towards that?
Other than that, everything looks very neat.
Another question. As a martia artist myself, one thing we know about stances is that they change your reach, will that happen in your project too?

Do you really think so!? Actually we'll probably start our crowdfunding campaign early next month! We'll use IndieGoGo since kickstarter does not accept projects from Brazil!

As for the stances, they're more like elemental damage stances than martial art stances. The player's reach is only affected by the weapon itself. Each "stance" will have a talent tree or something like that! 

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2015, 08:27:06 AM »

Oh I see.

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2015, 08:28:39 AM »

Oh I see.

Is that bad?  Sad

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2015, 08:51:03 AM »

I think so dude.
There is ways to do a kickstarter campaign. Maybe Saulo from behold studio can help you.
I heard he is the nicest guy ever.

Indiegogo will only drop your chances of success imo.

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2015, 08:55:57 AM »

Yeah...

I'll talk to him! Show him the game and see what can be done!

Thanks a lot for this, man!

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2015, 09:24:24 AM »

Yeah...

I'll talk to him! Show him the game and see what can be done!

Thanks a lot for this, man!

Welcome!

Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2015, 08:46:14 AM »

Actually you'll acquire each weapon (except for the axe and shield as they're the starters) through missions (compulsory ones) ... and while on a specific weapon mission, you'll have to play with that weapon (ex: to get the spear you must play a whole dungeon with the spear). This will show players each weapon so they can choose what they would like to do.
What do you think about it?
So that's how it works! Now I just need to play it Tongue

Also, we want the game to be something closer to what the player wants than what we want... I mean... The player will have many choices along the way! The path to the end of a dungeon, the weapon, to help someone or not (this changes the story as well!)... we want "choice" to be a strong word in Tiny Little Bastards!
Yes! Totally agree. I would even dare to say that games without the choices are not really games... or there Are such games that are fun, and I'm wrong? Roll Eyes

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2015, 12:41:16 PM »

Good luck to my fellow BRs, HUE!

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2015, 09:59:46 PM »

Good luck to my fellow BRs, HUE!

Hahahaha Thank you, man!v :beer:v Beer!

joaorequiao
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »

Update 7 - Video: Development Preview 01

Hey guys! I just uploaded a video with a development preview! It's composed of pre alpha footage only and it does not represent the final work quality! I hope you enjoy it!  Wink

On to the next!  Beer!

Development Preview 01

michelmohr
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2015, 12:25:17 PM »

Just watched the video, very good looking!
Only negative thing is that the movement feels very slow, might be because of the character's slow walk animation, or maybe just because you don't show the doublejump at the start.

Good luck with the kickstarting!

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic