Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:46:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallJumpman
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Jumpman  (Read 42798 times)
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 08:57:03 PM »

Wow, this is pretty amazing! I'm up to path 9 and the number of strange and mind-fucking variations is still doing me in. The controls annoy me... but that's part of the challenge and I think the unresponsive controls probably add to the puzzle-solving aspect--you're forced to figure things out the hard way.

Really super work!

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 11:22:30 PM »

Thanks all for the comments!

What about the actual Apple II (C64 FTW!) era game Jumpman?
Hi,

So, the name "Jumpman" was intended as a reference to Donkey Kong. I've actually never played the 1983/Epyx "Jumpman" (though this is maybe kinda odd because there apparently was an honest-to-goodness Apple // version). But I guess that game must be a bigger deal than I thought, because a number of people have mentioned it. (Also something I found out after my game went up is that the C64 version of the Epyx Jumpman is actually on Virtual Console.) I don't know if this is going to be a problem or not.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Peevish
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »

I love the shit controls; most of the levels are so incredibly simple, they'd take 5 seconds to beat with Mario controls. But no, I will die 70 times.
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 02:26:00 AM »

The controls are the good type of retro imo. Restricted, yet responsive.
It reminds me kinda of La Mulana, the first few minutes you hate the control but then new grow to like them in a somewhat masochistic way. :D
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 02:45:46 AM »

I got to path six on my first play, before deciding I should probably be doing something a little less fun on a Saturday morning. The game was considerably longer than I expected it to be, too; I think it's about 15 levels in that game says something like, "Almost there", and you think you can see the last level. When you beat it, though, you realise that the next level just has a dark colour scheme, and that there's actually a lot more pain to come! I don't know if that was intentional, but it was a nice touch.

The slideyness of the controls takes a little getting used to, but I found them to be pretty responsive. There were just a few sections (so far) that required a precision that was just within the constraints of the controls, making it frustrating, but not impossible.

Overall, great work!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
deathbyzen
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 03:13:05 PM »

Hey all! It's my first post here at the TIGForums. I basically registered to say that this game kicks ass. Kudos to the creator.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »

I got to path six on my first play, before deciding I should probably be doing something a little less fun on a Saturday morning. The game was considerably longer than I expected it to be, too; I think it's about 15 levels in that game says something like, "Almost there", and you think you can see the last level. When you beat it, though, you realise that the next level just has a dark colour scheme, and that there's actually a lot more pain to come! I don't know if that was intentional, but it was a nice touch.

The slideyness of the controls takes a little getting used to, but I found them to be pretty responsive. There were just a few sections (so far) that required a precision that was just within the constraints of the controls, making it frustrating, but not impossible.

Overall, great work!

Aw yes, I made a level with lava on the floors which you have to climb, and it is all about jumping, and then the second you land, jump again.

BTW, how can I SHARE my levels? I am making a storyline right now, and I want to see what others think.
aeiowu
Level 10

Greg Wohlwend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 07:37:53 PM »

this game is amazing.

it's my pick for seamus mcnally next year. you heard it here first!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

increpare
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 09:01:11 PM »

i finished it.  it wasn't actually that hard, not really.  but enjoyable almost all the way through, and with a really nice balance of easy and hard levels.

once again, good work Smiley
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 11:06:07 PM »

Awesome stuff there. Pretty much exactly what Stephen said above me. Finished in one play through, clocking in at 77:23 and with 231 lives lost. Will play with editor later.

wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 11:44:10 PM »

Great job on this. I kept coming back to the game every time I quit in frustration for a while, and I reached the end today.
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2009, 03:23:58 AM »

I had a little trouble on one or two levels, but it was mostly pretty easy. Really fun game!  Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2009, 04:08:00 PM »

Very, very nice, though I have yet to beat it.  The only thing it lacks is music (even something simple would be nice; the sound effects along make it feel very empty).

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 05:56:55 PM »

The tiling picture is pretty nice; I made a small prototype from a similar idea a while back.
I only just now went back to look at this and realized who this post was by! The "portile" demo is very neat, is this what provided the inspiration for Mirror Stage?

It's interesting to me to play portile / mirror stage and see how they approach the sort of problem of how to display areas with weird tessellating. That was something that gave me a lot of trouble doing Jumpman-- how to do those sort of weird tilings in such a way that it still presents a consistent picture. It was interesting after getting all that sorted out to run across Mirror Stage and see sort of the opposite approach to the problem-- i.e. don't bother presenting a consistent picture, just let stuff overlay itself as it likes...

Thanks again to all for the comments.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 06:00:23 PM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 05:59:51 PM »

I just wanted to come back here and post about a couple of things related to Jumpman:

1. There is now a 1.0.1 release of Jumpman with some minor bugfixes. This probably only matters to you if you have a 360 gamepad (apparently they didn't work in 1.0).

2. I have now set up a third-party level archive with some level packs that people made in the editor, if you want some additional Jumpman content. The two packs I would probably recommend playing most are "jumppac" and "Mikesta".

Ryan J. Bury
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2009, 03:39:07 PM »

Late response: I just finally got around to tearing my fingers away from Spelunky long enough to play Jumpman, and I love it!  It makes me feel all happy inside to see so many strokes of genius in one little game. Grin

This sort of attention to great game design is exactly what can make the indie scene so exciting.  Great stuff! Smiley

Ryan

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2009, 10:32:35 PM »

45:45

Pretty damn awesome.
I honestly didn't find it that difficult and/or frustrating, but it was certainly engrossing. Those 45 minutes flew by.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2009, 02:54:37 PM »

Thanks all for the comments!

What about the actual Apple II (C64 FTW!) era game Jumpman?
Hi,

So, the name "Jumpman" was intended as a reference to Donkey Kong. I've actually never played the 1983/Epyx "Jumpman" (though this is maybe kinda odd because there apparently was an honest-to-goodness Apple // version). But I guess that game must be a bigger deal than I thought, because a number of people have mentioned it. (Also something I found out after my game went up is that the C64 version of the Epyx Jumpman is actually on Virtual Console.) I don't know if this is going to be a problem or not.

Yeah, it actually might be a problem, since the name "Jumpman" is very, very much already occupied and entrenched in the minds of all who played games in the 80's. In fact, Jumpman is considered as seminal a title as a game really can be. Sweet game, though  SmileyHand Thumbs Up Right

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2009, 06:20:49 PM »

I just tried the Linux binary on my installation of Arch Linux.

I get the following error:
Unable to create OpenGL screen: Couldn't find matching GLX visual

I have some OpenGL stuff installed since the game I'm writing uses it.  I'm also using SDL.  If you want to throw me some debug builds or something, I'll happily test.  I can think of one thing off-hand: I'm using a pretty ancient videocard by today's standards.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2009, 07:04:58 PM »

Razputin, thanks for the feedback, that is very mysterious. I will try to look into that...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic