Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411472 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 11:40:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDoors - Atmospheric logic game RELEASED [Steam]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Doors - Atmospheric logic game RELEASED [Steam]  (Read 6056 times)
keenPenguin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2015, 03:12:23 AM »

As someone who loved Portal, Antichamber and other first person puzzle games, of course I got curious about this one. But judging from the Greenlight trailer and this thread, I see a few problems with this:

Why first person? Why not 2D?

The games you borrow from have lots and lots of personality. Those games have narratives, themes, and each has a few points they bring across very convincingly. I think you have to work on that for your game. The surgically clean chambers, the danger signs, "there will be bacon" - too obvious and too close to Portal, but without any unique twist. Get creative  Smiley

MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »

Hi, you make some good points.  However I think you'll find that there's a bit more to the game than I was able to show in the Greenlight trailer.  Also there's still quite a bit more work to do. 

It's in first person perspective because I think it will make things more interesting.  There are some things that I'm doing with this, that I haven't shown becuase I don't want to spoil it for those who will play the game.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2015, 03:14:58 PM »

I really like this idea, but agree with posters who say it looks a little dull. No light fixtures, no furniture, no decorations other than the simple signs? Getting your hands on some inexpensive / free assets to decorate the facility would drastically improve the quality of the game without requiring you to do any modeling. It would also give players a reason to slow down and admire the details of each room and even replay it when you know the answers to all the puzzles.

Here's an example of a simple first-person puzzle game that uses a relatively tiny number of assets to make the puzzle rooms look much more complex, even though the puzzles are minimal.

I'm on the fence with this one. The concept is good and the proposed price is right, but I'm worried that the experience will feel pretty minimal, which I can already top by buying a logic puzzle book. There's a chance I'd pick this up when it's released, but that it could be changed to a guarantee to buy if the game world felt more varied than just corridors, doors and posters.
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

I do hope to find ways to make the environment more interesting.  Actually I have the ability to do 3d modelling - that's not an issue.  There is still quite a bit of development to be done - and I'm working on this alone, with time constraints.

I'll keep this thread updated when I add more.
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2015, 09:45:30 PM »

A couple of updates for today:

Doors has been receiving great feedback on Greenlight so far.  Currently it's ranking #16 (and rising) out of nearly 1.5 thousand games on Steam Greenlight.  You can still help by voting here:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=454015547

I've been experimenting with a new aesthetic.  Feedback is welcome:
Edit: You may need to scroll or view the image in a new tab, it seems this forum doesn't like large-res images.  Sad

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 09:51:17 PM by MutantGopher » Logged
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 12:43:19 PM »

With a rank of #12 and nearly 3,000 votes, Doors has just been Greenlit 6 days!
Special thanks to everyone who voted.
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2015, 03:51:55 AM »

Congratulations! Do you have an estimated release date?

bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2015, 04:23:11 AM »

Great job, congratulations! The game looks really interesting, I've enjoyed both Portal and Antichamber, hoping that this one will be up there as well! Beer!

MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2015, 07:57:43 AM »

Thanks everyone.  Also keep an eye open for some upcoming updates, as I'm currently re-working a lot of the graphics and level designs, as well as adding more content. 

Congratulations! Do you have an estimated release date?
My estimated release date is roughly between August and October this year.  Ideally I would like to release in August, but really it's going to depend on when the game is really finished. 

Also FYI there is a new site you can visit which is now live, though not 100% finished:
http://doorsgame.com/
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2015, 10:37:01 AM »

It's been a while since the last update, as I've been re-working the art style of most of the game.
Check out the brand new trailer:

MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2015, 08:17:45 AM »

Another image for #screenshotsaturday
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2015, 11:05:28 AM »

Needs more bacon

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2015, 11:11:35 AM »

Is this enough?

MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 02:16:24 PM »

A screenshot from a new environment in development in Doors:

http://doorsgame.com/
https://twitter.com/MutantGopher
Clockwise
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 03:22:56 PM »

I love logic games and first-person puzzlers, so I'll be following this! Smiley

Here is my criticism for you to take or leave:

All of the different elements, like the game's title, atmosphere, goal, gameplay and theme, seem brought together like a patchwork quilt; there just doesn't seem to be any consistency between them for the most part. It seems like you've taken elements from other games you admire and forced them together without much thought for keeping everything in harmony.

Despite this, I'll keep an eye on it! Best of luck.
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »

Thanks for the feedback.
I see what you mean.  Hopefully things will be more clear by the time everything's finished.
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 03:26:37 PM »

I should also mention that some of the screenshots you saw are outdated.  The blank white rooms are no longer a part of the game for the most part.
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 02:38:02 PM »

I'm looking for beta testers!

If you'd like to playtest a beta version, signup here:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17RzPUvsePpp3uVW8BNtPac7n5yx70gLQFFbITQ_4av8/viewform?usp=send_form
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 07, 2015, 10:13:42 AM »

Still looking for some more beta testers:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B5D34u_1TTc3zyW-cv2GgyvzrGJYakRc3SE0F4xEwLA/edit#gid=2057671633
MutantGopher
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2015, 11:01:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic