Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:38:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsCockpit Competition
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Author Topic: Cockpit Competition  (Read 85693 times)
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2009, 09:48:24 AM »

Yes!  I'm in, and I'll even finish it, too!
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »

Uh oh, looks like I misunderstood the compo idea completely. I thought that it would be enough that cockpits are involved in the game, not that the game should actually happen in one. Oh well, I'll make my game thread and see if it's acceptable.

Stargoat
Level 2

Goat of the Stars

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2009, 09:51:59 AM »

Would a text-based game be frowned upon?
increpare
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2009, 09:55:07 AM »

not at all.

they tend not to be as popular though here, but please don't let that dissuade you from making such a game if you think it possibly a worthwhile endeavour.
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 10:03:04 AM »

Text based games are AWESOME and get lots of love, actually.  But not as many people are likely to play it.  So your audience is just gonna be smaller.
Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 10:05:40 AM »

No Cockpit topic icon yet...

Or should we be waiting until the official start to post the thread? Droop
Ina Vegt
Level 1

Girl Game Developer

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 10:07:28 AM »

I got some ideas already.

Underwater Assault
In the year 2056, War is upon the world. Due to the fact that all countries are under protection of a rocket shield, this is not the Mutual Assured Destruction scenario that was expected.

As part of Operation Atlantis, you have been sent by the Government of the United States of America to search out and destroy the ships of the Communist Union of Europe. To accomplish this, you have been assigned a Compact-Stealth Submariner mark 3 and access to the Material Requisition System.

Your mission is of vital importance to Operation Atlantis, and to the future of the world.

Good luck, Sergeant.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 10:22:48 AM »

anyone have the patience to teach me some basic 3D stuff? :D

or is toastie going to release his lua engine awesome thing?

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »

Nice, Ina. Submarine game could be really really great! Grin

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2009, 10:26:29 AM »

I know what I want to make.

Remember the flight simulators of yore? Remember how pretty much every key on the keyboard did something? Remember being able to look "down" and see even /more/ switches in your cockpit?

That ain't got nuttin' compared to this.

The actual "game" will be something simple, like flying in space, maybe shooting stuff.
The challenge will come from trying to actually accomplish anything with the byzantine cockpit interface.

I think this would fit a hard sci-fi space sim really well. Stuff is generally going to be millions of miles away, combat will occur in the space of a few milliseconds, and there will be pretty much zero value in looking out the cockpit window, you will constantly have to rely on instruments to get anything done.

Wondering if that could be pulled off and actually be a) fun but more importantly b) feasible.

Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2009, 10:33:56 AM »

"What do you mean I have to reverse the polarity and vent plasma whenever I want to turn!"  That is so awesome.  Do it.  Hell, be evil and randomize the control panel and effects roguelike-style.

My idea so far:

You're flying a starship.  The kind of starship that normally has a navigator, a weapons officer, an engineer...  Unfortunately you're on your own, so you have to fuss with all the control panels yourself, with only the aid of your swivel chair!  You can look around the bridge, ship status is built into the panels on the walls, and the enemy ship is out a window somewhere!  And for some reason, the control panels are designed like puzzle games.  Simple minigame-style interface, but you have to keep switching between panels to get everything done.

...To me, the distillation of "cockpit" is simply "the HUD exists in-character".
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 10:39:31 AM by Traveller » Logged
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2009, 10:45:30 AM »

I am in, but I will not start on this until March 1st which is the deadline for the game noir compo on poppenkast, which i am also in.

P.S. I was made for this compo.

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
Maisnon!
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 11:14:15 AM »

I'm anxious to see who will be the first one to have a pit filled with roosters.

Or, well the other type of cocks.

Call me what you want, but don't call me in the morning.
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 11:14:54 AM »

P.S. I was made for this compo.

We're all expecting something awesome from you.

Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2009, 11:33:31 AM »

Do sound effects need to be original to the compo game, or are free/public domain sfx (even music) from various sites permissable?
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »

Do sound effects need to be original to the compo game, or are free/public domain sfx (even music) from various sites permissable?

Previous competitions have allowed audio that wasn't made specifically for the game, so I'd say go for it!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2009, 12:05:15 PM »

anyone have the patience to teach me some basic 3D stuff? :D
Things far away are smaller

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Ivan
Owl Country
Level 10

alright, let's see what we can see

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2009, 12:13:31 PM »

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

http://polycode.org/ - Free, cross-platform, open-source engine.
mirosurabu
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2009, 12:37:52 PM »

Anyone recalls

from Atari? Does that qualify as "cockpit game"?

If I get three days to work on a game in next month I may try do something. It's pity that this competition starts now when I can't enter it. Sad

But I'm looking forward to what you guys will come up with. Beer!
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2009, 12:38:15 PM »

A few cockpit ideas...

* "God Simulator": A cockpit that controls environmental effects of anything from a room full of people to a SimEarth-like planet. Watch how your minions are affected. Become drunk with power.

* The cockpit of something that doesn't normally have an internal control panel: eg, a blood cell, a clothes iron, a tectonic plate, a supermarket trolley...

* "Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain" - Platformer about infiltrating a huge building-sized cockpit controlled by a power-drunk dictator who uses it to control a city.

* Reverse-cockpit simulator: You are looking directly onto the front of a starship cockpit much like in classic Star Trek episodes, where the crew is looking out at "you". It is your job to bombard the starship with asteroids, enemy fire, made-up sci-fi gobbledegook bombs, etc., and watch the little starship crew get flung all over the cockpit while dry ice steam wafts in from vents and the captain makes increasingly manly poses. I'm not sure what the goal would be yet (besides lulz), but it'd basically be a tamagotchi-like game.

Anyway, I've gotta come up with something that can be done in Flash.

I'm anxious to see who will be the first one to have a pit filled with roosters.

Or, well the other type of cocks.

You mean....THESE? *GASP of shock*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic