Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 06:54:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionCockpit Collaborations
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Cockpit Collaborations  (Read 18300 times)
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 01:12:40 AM »

I'm so tempted at pulling the old

archetype out of the dryer.

Currently brainstorming for a project
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 02:14:18 AM »

I don't recall saying I had no idea what to do; I just commented that I was probably not going to have time to do anything in 3D.
This is what I think is bad with the compo, it's really hard to figure out some way it can work in 2d. Gotta be 3d or fake 3d Sad
Gr.Viper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 05:07:47 AM »

2D cockpits have been used in sims for ages. Flight, submarines, trains, even tanks I think... Separate screens for left/right/forward/backward views or a panoramic scrollable 2D were also used quite often to compensate for lack of real 3D.

Now in his mid-forties and still unusual Hubert had learnt many important things, when he was young... ...most importantly, that sanity is a compromise.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 06:36:15 AM »

Mikademus, I'm hoping to learn Ogre3D for this compo. If I need any help I will be sure to ask you.

I'm currently using OGRE for a few projects, so I'll be happy to help you with any questions or problems you may have. OGRE is a great framework, but it has a somewhat high-ish threshold to climb.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 06:45:30 AM »

Mikademus, after trying out Ogre it seems very complicated, I'm currently looking into Irrlicht, hopefully I'll have some more luck, I've tried out the tutorials, Irrlicht seems a lot simpler.
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 08:36:01 AM »

I'd agree that OGRE is a bit more complicated, but the plugins out there are very very powerful. Use something like Navi or Hikari and, voila, you are rendering a Flash object onto textures!

3D modelling is not hard to do if you restrict yourself to very basic stuff, and especially if you choose to forgo textures. I like using Wings3D, it is very minimal and just does what I want it to. After you get comfortable with extruding, beveling, intersecting lines and connecting vertices, you can make all sorts of low-poly stuff.

I am hoping someone will want to do 2D via Pyglet, and make use of its multi-window / multi-screen support. For those of us with dual monitors, it could lead to a DS-like experience, and would be pretty fitting for this compo. One screen is the outside word, the other is the cockpit controls.

Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2009, 08:53:30 AM »

I agree Nihilocrat. The very rough and ready programmer art models I have so far were made simply by starting with a cube and then extruding and moving vertices around. That DS style idea sounds really cool.
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2009, 11:33:47 AM »

Just because it says cockpit doesn't necessarily mean 3D guys... >_>

Don't tell me you have never played a 2D racer, space shooter, or mech game that had a cockpit hud! Plus think outside the box: If you get creative, almost any experience or idea can have a cockpit view.
Bu buh BUT I WANT TO DO TEH DOOM GRAPIX!!! heh heh

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 11:41:38 AM »

I'm surprised nobody's doing a "GRAND THEFT MECHA" game yet- complete with a radio that occasionally hosts Indie game character interviews, and random chip-tunes.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »

I'm surprised nobody's doing a "GRAND THEFT MECHA" game yet- complete with a radio that occasionally hosts Indie game character interviews, and random chip-tunes.
PLEASE tell me you're going make that!!!

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2009, 11:54:33 AM »

Ah-hahaha... but then I'd feel obligated to ask for a bunch of people's permissions to pretend to interview their characters!

But yeah, throwing that idea out there if anyone wants it. And if anyone wants my help with it after they pick it up, I'm up for that too, though I already started spriting and thinking of stuff for my own thing.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2009, 12:03:31 PM »

Ah-hahaha... but then I'd feel obligated to ask for a bunch of people's permissions to pretend to interview their characters!

But yeah, throwing that idea out there if anyone wants it. And if anyone wants my help with it after they pick it up, I'm up for that too, though I already started spriting and thinking of stuff for my own thing.
Well you can do more than one game. You could get someone else to actually make the game with your support. Grand theft Mecha is an easy as hell sell pitch. heh heh And PL:EASE do all the interviews yourself!

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2009, 05:11:13 PM »

Mikademus, after trying out Ogre it seems very complicated, I'm currently looking into Irrlicht, hopefully I'll have some more luck, I've tried out the tutorials, Irrlicht seems a lot simpler.

Irrlicht is much simpler to get up and to use than OGRE. The drawbacks of Irrlicht is that is has a more restrictive back-end design and that it makes doing certain low-level stuff (like blending multiple texture stages) impossible and that there are some output inconsistencies between OpenGL and  Direct3D renderers.

If you have time to learn the system without it eating up your game development time I'd recommend OGRE, but I doubt you'll run into the restrictions of Irrlicht so you will be productive faster in that system. Also, Irrlicht natively imports .3DS, .MAX and other 3D model formats, while OGRE only supports its own .mesh format, wherefore you must convert existing 3D resources into that format (there are Blender converters etc).

As an additional benefit, Irrlicht has a very active IRC channel, while the OGRE one though well-populated is deadly silent.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2009, 01:10:19 AM »

This is the best idea ever! Asking for permission is not very indie though, the indier alternative is to just stay anonymus so they don't know who to sue.

Also paint drawn textures is indie as hell.
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2009, 01:39:57 AM »

This is the best idea ever! Asking for permission is not very indie though, the indier alternative is to just stay anonymus so they don't know who to sue.

Also paint drawn textures is indie as hell.

1) Well, this IS the Collab Thread. If anyone lets me ride on their coding coattails, I'll do everything else (except maybe the music, I'm not very good with Musagi yet).

2) Yes, they are- except I'm not using MS Paint and my game isn't planned as being 3D- mostly due to the fact that my craptastic TabletPC cannot run Maya 5 (it can barely run Firefox and Photoshop at the same time...), so, uh... Ahem! Shrug

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2009, 09:01:59 AM »

Question:

If I have an idea, but no means to create it, can I still make a thread, but just say 'I need some way to actually MAKE THIS, though.  Embarrassed ', or should I stick around in here?
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2009, 09:06:02 AM »

Question:

If I have an idea, but no means to create it, can I still make a thread, but just say 'I need some way to actually MAKE THIS, though.  Embarrassed ', or should I stick around in here?

I have an idea, but it would slow down my Trilby spriting. Hrm.

Choices.

Edit: I have a couple of ideas, but should I really make a topic if all I'm probably gonna put in them are concept art and sprites? I don't think I have time to program anything fancy with school on my heels.
You should. Who knows, maybe somebody would help out.

professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2009, 09:07:23 AM »

Question:

what's the idea Wink
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2009, 10:50:06 AM »

Well... basically, you are a program. NOT a computer program. Something I want to be a bit of a surprise. You are infiltrating... something. But for good reasons, because you are trying to fight something bad. And you are being let in. The gameplay would be very Rez inspired, the idea completely is. If I made a thread... I would post some concept art, I guess, along with some more detail after a bit. But, I suck at art, I think. So, that's why I cannot be the artist.

That's not all of it, but it's all I want to give out.

Argh, nevermind. That was a retarded idea, to not tell you! Mean of me, in fact. Here's the whole thing (Not in the style I wish to present it in a thread, of course.):

You are a mental construct, called 0RZ, and you are sent into the mind of a person. See, in this dystopian future, everyone has made their minds a bit... cybernetic. (Think GitS). Mental Constructs are like the new computer programs, and computers are bio-technological. You infiltrate a human mind, for the cause of good, to fight a mysterious new entity, a revolutionary Mental Construct which destroys minds, classified 'E-RAZ', and you are a specially made, and the very first, program which can fight these beings, an Archetype. Nicknamed Arc.

I will release better gameplay ideas and concepts and such later, in a thread, if I should. If not, I will just update this post.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:55:02 AM by Inanimate » Logged
philnelson
Level 0

future doom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2009, 11:34:27 PM »

Programmer by trade, though not a very good one. Learning Love2D right now, so if anyone is looking for a Love2d collaborator I would be down with that. Also have writing and (very limited) chiptune skills.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic