Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:43:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSo what can you procedurally generate?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: So what can you procedurally generate?  (Read 16946 times)
TonyLi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »

Hi TonyLi welcome to Tigs Board, I'll soon buy and experiment with your asset and implement idea I had! Continue the good work!
Thanks! I've kept an eye on the forums for a while but haven't had time to post anything. (Busy programming Quest Machine! Wink) The demo scene artwork was done by an artist I hired from the Portfolio forum about a year ago.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »

I'm trying to generate some continents, one or two thousand km on a side, for a top-down flight sim. The current system generates a plausible original shape using perlin noise, adapted to give some discontinuities (faults and rifts) and some remains of old mountains. Then I run several million years of fluvial erosion and mountain growth.

You can try the current version: https://dood.al/test/surface_transport.html

WOW. That looks fantastic. I wonder how useful something like that would be for other types of games, like open world games? Obviously all the secondary systems for such a thing would still take significant effort, but one can dream.
WiremanC3
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2017, 10:26:43 AM »

Customized robot-frogs height map algorithm and added some stuff  Hand Pencil

Wow, this is incredible. I'm currently working on starting a tabletop RPG based on the Myst games, and as such I will need to generate a shit-ton of islands like this. Would you be able to do some sort of tutorial for it? Also did you make this is GML? Fantastic thread man.
Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 28, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »

(Guess I'm slightly necroing this thread, fun topic though!)

As a dev I really like the idea of my game being able to suprise me, so I keep playing with procedural level generation.

This basically just slaps a bunch of predefined rooms and corridors together in ever-branching paths.  Of course you can see the repitition cause there's only like 8 pieces so far, and it doesn't connect back on itself (yet!!), but  I like how this can build multi-level structures. 

My last generator was able to loop back on itself, but it was a perfectly flat single level, and the room were only different in terms of being 2x2 instead of 3x5 or whatever.  Not bad, but I like how much room this gives me to hand-craft stuff, while still keeping players on their toes and keeping them from just memorizing their way to mastery.
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 28, 2017, 03:07:54 PM »

I'll necro this as well. Love proc gens. And being aweful as an artist, I made a routine which draw me a lot of space ships Smiley

I can even make them in different sizes

Valar05
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2017, 04:53:26 AM »

I made a routine which draw me a lot of space ships Smiley

Looking good!  I can see it now that I'm looking for it, but I wouldn't have realized they were generated otherwise.  That must be a lot of different spaceship parts!
PetSkull
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2017, 05:44:25 AM »

Actually, not that many Smiley

(Disregard the checkered background)

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic