Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 01:16:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSo what can you procedurally generate?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: So what can you procedurally generate?  (Read 16938 times)
Leaghorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2016, 01:40:23 PM »

It's also possible to procedurally generate electric beams.

Some time ago I used electric beams on some Ludum Dare game

But it was just animated sprite generated in photoshop so its repetitive and has limited use.

Here's a little tutorial on how to generate it precedurally using Catmull Rom algorithm:
http://www.geekchamp.com/articles/electric-effect-on-windows-phone-7-using-xna

Does anybody have some more tutorials on procedural effects like that?

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2016, 01:55:18 PM »

Really neat, Leaghorn! What LD was that for?

I guess I could post this here just because. Not much, but my first ever proper attempt at some more "proper" procedural generation.

Rooms in a house, connected by doors. Using a BSP dungeon generation algorithm but without the corridors, just linking every room directly through the wall.

Hoping to play more with this stuff in the future. Been doing some reading. Perhaps I'll get a chance during this Ludum Dare. Depends on what sort of game we come up with after seeing the winning theme.

Leaghorn
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2016, 03:37:22 PM »

@Prinsessa LudumDare 32

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2016, 09:57:03 PM »

@Leaghorn
It still looks good.
That's actually a pretty good tutorial to introduce randomized effects to people, added to the first post!  Wink

@Prinsessa
That's pretty fun, you could totally make each room generate their own little setups Smiley
I want to see more!
edit: Also another good read, roguebasin has always been full of great tutorials.

@LuisAnton
That's so rad to look at from the players view.
With the current player-to-planet size ratio, I could easily imagine each cell holding entire cities/colonies for an RTS or civilization simulator Kiss
What's the plan haha!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:07:49 PM by BomberTREE » Logged
LuisAnton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2016, 10:33:00 PM »

@BomberTREE Noooo! hehe, no, the player is not that big. It's the planetoids that are small - something like Mario Galaxy, or The Little Prince (but bigger) Grin The plan is... I guess we'll start a devlog and see where it goes.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2016, 02:06:42 PM »

@LuisAnton Ohh I get it now, I'll definitely need to wait and see Tongue
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2016, 11:46:14 PM »

Made a procedurally generated thing Smiley
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:00:21 AM by BomberTREE » Logged
rogual
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: May 16, 2016, 08:48:22 AM »

Got a side project which is a side-on platforming roguelike. The interesting challenge here is making sure there aren't any pits that the player can get stuck in.

The generator knows what moves and jumps the player can make, and will put climbable vines if it detects unreachable areas.

This isn't perfect though, so I've started to implement a "search" feature that cheats — when you press S, it checks if you're in an unwinnable spot and has a chance of saying, oh yeah, there was totally a secret door there all along.

My current project is Blackshift — Now in Early Access (Beta)
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2016, 12:30:26 AM »

@rogual
Oh heck yeah!! That sounds like a lot of fun to design  Smiley
Glad to hear you didn't rely on a climb command for a fix!
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 17, 2017, 03:50:19 PM »

Necroin' this thread because A: thread is good and B: I took a stab at the beginnings of a system to generate obstacles around the player in (yet) another game prototype and it looks kinda cool in it's current state...

It's of course not working properly yet but I was happily surprised by the patterns it produced and couldn't resist sharing.

Fun facts: Usually I do a bit of research when diving into things I'm lacking knowledge in...this time I just dove in, also the code leading up to this crashed my computer four separate times by gobbling up all the available ram.

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2017, 02:13:54 PM »

This is only a small part of a much bigger project, but I'm having fun randomly cramming objects into a room while checking that it's still possible to get from entrance to exit.

I made a write up of how to check that you aren't blocking the path:

http://www.boristhebrave.com/2017/07/08/fast-traversal-queries-of-procedurally-generated-rooms/
Artsicle
« Reply #71 on: July 11, 2017, 04:23:55 PM »

I can procedurally generate ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
quantumpotato
Quantum Potato
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »

Bomber, I wanted to play your Frog game but I couldn't find a link?

Procedurally generate AI from player inputs: www.QuantumPilot.me

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2017, 07:19:24 AM »

Found a neat way to generate random paths:

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2017, 01:51:55 PM »

Select two random points and then linked them to corners?

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2017, 02:07:35 PM »

No, it generates paths between arbitrary many points, it's not hard coded. I don't think I've seen the technique written about before. Details are on my blog:

http://www.boristhebrave.com/2017/07/15/random-path-algorithm/

It's nice compared with a lot of pathing algorithms as it can generate paths that double back on themselves, and handles connecting three or more points together in a natural way.
BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 04, 2017, 10:00:05 AM »

BACK FROM THE GRAVE, thanks for waking up this thread weeks ago NoLocality

Wrote a tool to breed automaton rules and discover magic

@NoLocality
I've never seen anyone write a generator than physically drops things from the air as it goes, have you gotten it working right?

@BorisTheBrave
Dope, your dungeon & path gifs do a GREAT job and explaining what your technique does. Thanks for the write ups and for pointing out Disjoint-set data structures!

Quote from: Artsicle
I can procedurally generate ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
You can't do shit with that attitude (:

@quantumpotato
The files are lost somewhere on my currently dead desktop, sorry WTF
So is it the AI's patterns that are being generated, or behaviors?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:16:50 AM by BomberTREE » Logged
NoLocality
Level 1

AssetsAssetsAssetsAssetsAssets...

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2017, 10:22:18 AM »

@NoLocality
I've never seen anyone write a generator than physically drops things from the air as it goes, have you gotten it working right?

Haha no, I hopped back on my dino-project after tinkering around a bit.  I tend to ADD off on odd little things before remembering I have something else to finish lol.

The view was actually from below the map and those pink rectangles were side-long cylinders being spawned for some randomized obstacles around the player...

...I was going for a simple endless-hover-avoid-obstacles type thing, was going for mobile most likely.

The idea was that "seed" objects would spawn around the player past their view, if the player was even closer the "seed" would spawn obstacles/ramps/powerups/things and then spawn four more seeds at east/west/south/north and consider itself "spent", finally all seeds and spawned content would despawn if the player was too far away.

It "kinda" works for a bit then poops out or breaks if the player collides with anything like so...

...note the flickering pink rectangles outside of the "circle" in the "spawn-zone" and how they either vanish/go wonky/or overextend without laying down obstacles.

Maybe I'll get back to it some day but my uneducated approach of logic within logic within logic etc' is probably going to get unnecessarily complicated real quick.  I just thought the patterns produced when viewed from below looked cool.

@All I continue to dig the various methods and hypnotic results ppl!  Coffee

P.S.

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 04, 2017, 01:00:14 PM »

my uneducated approach of logic within logic within logic
WTF It's a leaping point, once you begin exploring more efficient ideas and algorithms you'll be doing perfectly well enough for modern hardware!

One day.. one day
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2017, 02:27:41 AM »

Guess I never posted about it here. It's not much, but I did some procedural planet generation for my last LD game (not this one). Just different biomes and not much more but involved graphics programming and such too, so it was fun.

https://prinsessa.itch.io/blomst

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic