Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:28:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSprout - Devthread (build update 6-16)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Sprout - Devthread (build update 6-16)  (Read 13347 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2009, 10:31:16 AM »

starting my devthread YAY.

arrows to move
A to jump
S to "use magic planting power"

hit S in water to suck up water, Hit S to then use your magic. try it on the purple mushroom. 

any comments are greatly appreciated. how does the mushroom look? and especially how does the animation look?

should have another demo level up soon. i am trying to design a lot of different plants to interact with to create more elaborate puzzles. I am looking at mario vs donkey kong series for examples. so I am thinking a small puzzle maybe 2-4 screens big for each level.

Couple questions:
1. if it takes about 1 to 2 minutes to do a level, how many levels should I aim for.
2. I was thinking about adding in bonus levels, that can be unlocked. I need some ideas on how to unlock them. I am toying between collectibles which are a problem since you need to run around the entire level to finish it anyways and time, but it seems once you complete a level, you can just go into it again and complete it super fast, so what do you guys think?

Newest Build:
currently a tech demo as of now.

(I will update this so the newest build will always be here as well as in the lastest post I make.)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 09:29:21 PM by JasonPickering » Logged

AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 01:15:07 PM »

I have to say, this is one of the few games I have been following on TIG because I love the concept.

1. Anything over 10 levels would be a good start, you might want to think about how they link together, how the player can access the different levels? Is there a map showing the different levels? multiple pathways? etc etc. Either way you will never have enough Smiley

2. Collect X number of objects to unlock an area. Jumping Skill based bonus areas - reach a difficult area. Hidden areas, secret doors etc. Time based bonus areas, complete the level within a certain time, or collect X objects within a certain time.

Goodluck.

Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 01:40:55 PM »

Is the character the rock in the water.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »

Pablo: yeah he's the rock. if you play the demo file it will make more sense.

AndyWiltshireNZ: I am thinking about having an overworld map, possible looking at making a start and end point and then multiple pathways as you go from start to finish. I am thinking that you might get an area with multiple paths and by spending the "Flowers" that you create it opens new pathways. so the player may meet a fork in the road and choose either the left or right side. one might cost 10 points and the other might cost 15. if you dont have the 15 you can then go back to an unbeaten level to get more points or just take the 10 path. this causes a lot of complications. so its all up in the air.

Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2009, 02:07:47 PM »

How do you get to the end of the level?
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2009, 02:23:00 PM »

Pablo: sorry, this is just a tech demo, its basically where I can dump all my test objects into (I will add a note so everyone knows). I am making another flower that when you activate it becomes a bridge, so that is how you would get across that large patch at the end. does the character still seem like a rock?

Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »

Wow this was surprisingly very interesting. I love the pop of the plant growing.

I think running out of water should have more of an impact then just turning your character green. I mean, you can still fertilize the ground underneath you so it looses the feeling of importance.

Btw a bug I noticed: moving towards the left of the screen has a faster animation then moving to the right. This gave me an idea you could use for your character, maybe it could move faster on green land? And move sluggishly on normal land. (When it runs out of water)

Or of course you could make him eventually die when running out of water, it's your game.  Gentleman
just throwing out some suggestions.  Smiley
Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 02:55:55 PM »

No, not anymore.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 05:30:23 PM »

nitro crate:

I actually had that originally, where the player was given a level of water and then using your little aura, and just time, lowered your water level, and if it reached zero you died. I liked that idea because it kept you moving, but I could never find a good hud, and I really like minimalistic huds if possible. so I switched to the carrying one water charge. which I think plays into the puzzle element better. I have been playing with an idea similar to your movement being that when your character was filled with water, he was much slower and couldnt jump as high, given you a feeling of being full of water. and I may test that out. (also I will check the left movement.)

do you guys like the idea of a water level? or is it not that much of a bother. and also right now you can use as much water as you want, how do you guys feel about. being given a certain number of water charges per level. (I am thinking like toki tori)

Candlejack
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2009, 09:22:12 PM »

I think you should make it basically De Blob in 2D with flowers instead of colorless buildings and water instead of paint.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »

Ahhh, yes, if this was equal to De Blob, instant love from me. And so far, it is!
Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 09:40:40 AM »

A water level seems to difficult. Unless there are underwater plants.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 01:37:28 PM »

wow thanks guys. still working on this. so far I added a bubble plant that can be used to store a water charge. it seemed like a good idea, but now I am not to sure. I have been playing a lot of different games all of the puzzle variety. I am looking at the mario vs donkey kong series now. I am creating a rose that after a blast switches the giant roots it has blocking off areas. its basically the equivelant of a door lever. I am hoping to use this as a main puzzle feature, with the addition of the other plants. my goal now is at least 30 puzzles now but I would like to have much more, as the puzzles dont last very long.

I was working on creating a thing where you got larger and slower, so you could hold more then 1 water charge, but this was really getting to much like "de blob" so I backed off from that. I am already close with my "blob" like character.

I am planning on starting level design once I get the rose door done. my goal is to make levels and slowly add items, so probably 10 levels with just platforming, then ten with the doors, then slowly adding. I am also working on some new enemies. they basically move back and forth, so you will need to dodge and out run them. and I have a test version with very sloppy code, for an enemy that is a big block of mud. when you hit him with your little plant power, he becomes covered with flowers, and turns from an enemy into a platform. I am hoping to use this where you will need to get him into position and then hit him. so you can continue on the level.

in the large scope of things, I plan on releasing this free, then creating several (maybe 10) cd versions all professional arted up. and then release them as basically artist prints each one being numbered and signed. most of which will probably go to friends, family, and anyone who helped a whole bunch. I also want to take a blind box approach, where I randomly select someone to get a special version, with different art. basically the same approach Kidrobot takes with munnys. but thats all very far in the future.

wow thats a lot of stuff. I will try to have some art in my next post.

Iamthejuggler
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 11:41:19 AM »

Just wanted to say that i just tried the build posted, and it is adorable. It's an extremely good concept, and so far looks like you are heading in a great direction. Can't wait to see how you tackle making this game. Making the mechanic into a full game sounds pretty challenging, but sounds like you have good ideas. Good luck Smiley

Couple of ideas off the top of my head. Platforms that require the special ability to activate, but decrease in size over time, so you can introduce time challenges if you want. Also maybe moving enemies/friendly npcs that can be temporarily grown into platforms. You'd have to choose the right spot to transform them to progress ... maybe? Just thinking out loud.

Oh and the water looked great, which is a tricky thing to pull off.
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »

Yeah, the water does look great. But, that's kind of bad when looking at the character's sprites. I thought the game was lagging at first because of the low frame animation. I'd definitely smooth out his animations.

Other than that, it still looks great.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 08:38:05 PM »

Iamthejuggler:
I have actually already have an enemy that turns into a platform just need much better art.

letsap:
yeah, I had originally had very low grade art. i was influenced by "Jed" to create a low spec thing, but its slowly grown out of control. after creating the water I definitely think i need to redo some art. I am fighting with the character now

here is the walk cycle so far.

what do you guys make all your animated Gifs in?

Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2009, 02:09:59 PM »

I have been playing a lot of different games all of the puzzle variety.
If you want it to be a puzzle you should not only have various objects to interact with, but there should also be situations that demand a use of an object or several objects. Plus, if you really want to get fancy with it, you could make it so that every thing could be linked in a way. By that I mean use one object to get to another, to get to another, to get to another, etc. Until you finish the level.
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2009, 02:30:42 PM »

yeah I have been really looking at creating an obstacle and then creating an object to overcome that.

so for an example:

you start a level and first you blast a mushroom so you can use that to get up to high platform. then you run over and blast one of the bubble plants (basically an interconnected storage space). after that you go and blast one of the "door plants" this opens up the other side of the level, but blocks off the side you were originally on where the water is. so you run over to the bubble plant on this side, and suck it up to get a water blast, then you have to use it on another mushroom allowing you to get to the final area.

this is basically the idea I have. I am trying to have lots of different plants each one with different uses. maybe I will post a list of all my objects and their different uses.

ChevyRay
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 04:11:29 PM »

I like the animations you have, especially when that purple mushroom thing pops up. This is a sweet concept Smiley

A couple things (haven't really read the topic, sorry, so might be repeats):

• Are you running this at 60FPS? If not, maybe jack it up to that (you'll have to tweak the numbers to get the game playing correctly again, but everything will be a lot smoother.)

• His animation only speeds up when you're walking left, and not when you're walking right.

• If the character is going to be a blob, I'd suggest emphasizing his malleability a bit more. For example, when he jumps up, have him stretch out more, and at the peak of his jump, gather himself before stretching out once again into a stretch for falling. When he lands, have him sort of hit the ground with a "splat", spreading out, then gathering himself together.

• Wasn't a fan of the jet animation; it seemed a bit artificial. I'd suggest actually make it a short animation where he quickly drains out, and as he's doing so, actually spray water particles in all directions from his body. You could still use the same collision mask for the jet power, but it'd probably look nicer.

• Oh, and I couldn't see the mushroom thing after I made the grass grow, because the grass covered it. So the first time I played I only made it grow by accident.

And now, for random idea suggestions:

Different types of substances:

• Blue liquid is water, can use to water plants, put out flames, and assist other thirsty things, maybe living creatures.

• Green liquid is sticky, while soaked in green liquid, you can stick to walls and ceilings and climb up them. You can also squirt them onto the ground to have moving things get stuck on them to stop them from moving.

• White mist is gas, you can soak it up, and your character becomes really light, and gravity's pull is lessened on him; so as a result, not only can you jump higher and fall slower, but you can sit on top of water without sinking.

• Red, bubbling liquid is magma; when you soak it up, you become steaming hot. Not only can you evaporate water on contact, but you can light things on fire, or melt through certain floors and walls just by jumping into them.

• Oh, and don't soak Yellow liquid, haven't your parents ever told you that?

Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2009, 05:24:05 PM »

Excelent!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Grin Hand Thumbs Up Right
Can`t wait for this game dude. Get cracking.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 05:32:33 PM by Pablo » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic