Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 07:24:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSprout - Devthread (build update 6-16)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Sprout - Devthread (build update 6-16)  (Read 13394 times)
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:09 PM »

wow guys lots of stuff.

well I have been slowly contemplating switching from 16 pixel sprites to 32 pixel frames. today i took that leap.

original x 2

new

this is just a test of course so i still have a lot of work.

once i get this all sorted out i will move on to the plants and then start expanding the game out and looking at all the suggestions you guys have.

also those gifs only animate once. no idea why.

trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2009, 02:10:08 AM »

Hi,
just to say I've tried due to the cute screenshot
and I can't wait to play more of this  Grin

this feels TOTALLY right !

EDIT:

btw what is it developped in? SDL ?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2009, 02:38:51 AM by trabitboy » Logged

medieval
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2009, 03:52:11 AM »

Please keep the low resolution, it's WAY cuter and fits this game better.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2009, 04:17:30 AM »

If you go with a higher resolution (or just non-pixelated) remember to use anti-aliasing  Coffee

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »

I have been thinking and I am going with the fake low pixel art. I will keep all my art up resed at double size, because its making it easier to get more fluid animations, but I am going to go back to the original art style.

trabitboy: this is made in Gamemaker Pro.

CBentley
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »

Hey I like the game. I like the graphics as is and the jumping is real good. I just wanted to ask what graphics libary did you use and how many lines of code just for the small demo?

thanks,
   Chris
JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2009, 12:54:21 PM »

its all made in gamemaker. which is kind of all interior so i dont really need a graphic library or code. If it isnt make a senes check out some Gamemaker tutorials in the tutorial section and it will make much more sense. I am not very good at coding yet, so i hope I answered my question.

I really want to become a better coder though. Iphone development is calling my name.

and here is a gamemaker link
http://www.yoyogames.com/make

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2009, 10:31:53 PM »

new ART!!!

up-rezed the art. the animation is much better but not sure if I lost some of the original charm. Everything else has double pixels but that will probably change. I still tried to keep large blocks of color on the main character.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=88b249a0d83b7012e5c3dee5769931ece04e75f6e8ebb871

Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 06:06:32 AM »

Looks awesome man. But I noticed that his shadowed dark spots move to which ever direction he is facing. I sudgest that you make his lighting a different entity so that the same side of him is overshadowed
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2009, 06:16:08 AM »

hi,
I think I like the previous art more.
the mix of resolution in the new one seems strange to me !

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2009, 12:01:03 PM »

yeah I understand. I am stuck in a bit of a tight spot. I have been up resing everything to double size, and I am getting much better animation out of the blob, but the overall art doesnt feel the same. I will try and upload a new version tongiht with new art for everything on screen, and then I can make a descion after some feedback. right now I am leaning towards my original art, but then I'll need to go back to the drawing board to see if i can get great fluid animation for my blob out of a 16 by 16 square.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2009, 11:08:56 PM »

well here is the much promised update.

here is the new art. top screen up resed bottom screen original. I need to make a choice soon.

HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2009, 01:26:58 PM »

I think that I like the chunky style better.

One thing that you may want to change is the size of the purple mushroom. After you grow flowers around it it becomes almost impossible to find. Cool game so far anyway  Well, hello there!
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2009, 02:38:02 PM »

well here is the much promised update.

here is the new art. top screen up resed bottom screen original. I need to make a choice soon.
The new art would work if there weren't certain key elements that remind me clearly of the older art (in particular, the wave-y parts where the grass meet the blocks, and the main character's eyes).

I like the new flowers a lot, though, and the background is less distracting and looks farther away... I don't know.

I think you might want to stick with the old art, maybe, unless you revamps the things you didn't change in the current new art mock-up.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Pablo
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2009, 02:43:52 PM »

Not sure which one I like more but its really coming along quite well. Please PM me when you finish this game I want to play it.
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2009, 09:12:18 AM »

chunky is so much cuter IMHO  Gentleman

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2009, 04:16:45 PM »

well I think thats pretty much decided then. back to the low spec stuff. I am massivly behind schedule so now is the time to kick into high gear. hoping to post some stuff soon then.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2009, 10:05:00 PM »

new update:

I have switched a lot of the art. The character now becomes larger when he sucks up water. he moves slower and can not jump as high. also if he walks on a brown block it crumbles and breaks (HE SO FAT).

I am going with ChevyRays idea. the player will be have different states, much like the early Wario games, but instead of different liquids, it depends on how you interact with the environment.

if you are green and jump into a hot coal pit you become a fire guy, but if you do it while full of water you become air. if you jump into water while on fire, you go back to being regular. basically, you need to use these to get through the puzzles to get through the levels. also enemies will cause problems, fire guys will burn you unless you hit them with your water blast. (if you are water and they hit you the enemy dies, but you become steam.)

heres what i have so far. just plant and water modes right now. i need something for a fire pit but am having trouble with the art. I cant decide if I want lava, fire, or just coals.

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=32a3bb795fbaaa97bda4076e811714c8e04e75f6e8ebb871

let me know what ya think.

AaronAardvark
Level 1

Formerly RazputinOleander

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 09:39:08 AM »

I really like the demo you've put together so far.
  • The graphics are fantastic with all the 'little' animations.
  • The controls are spot-on.

Here are some issues I noticed:
  • I get errors if I hit 'w':
for object Debugger:

Error in code at line 1:
   with (obj_enemy_1)

at position 7: Unknown variable obj_enemy_1

• If I hit 'q' at the start, he turns blue.
  • After sucking up water with 's', movement becomes jittery and slow.  I presume the slowness is supposed to be there, but the jitteriness seems odd.

I'm sure these are already known, but I can't help being a know-it-all.
It looks and feels awesome, though.

trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2009, 02:38:39 AM »

yes the scrolling has become jerky with this release;
new features are cool, but I can't find the previous "water explosion"?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic