Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 05:08:10 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeProject Kafka - My assets, need you to criticize !
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Kafka - My assets, need you to criticize !  (Read 1949 times)
alfoux
Level 0

Independant French Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2015, 02:11:31 AM »

Hello everybody,

I'm working on a game which is half a point and click and half a visual novel. So I've decided at first to do it in a pixel art way but I've decided recently to change because I'm not very good with pixels. So I've designed all my sprites in a vectoriel way. Do you like theses pictures ? No ? Why ? I really need you because I don't know if it works and if not why I've to change.

Thanks

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
SeanNoonan
Level 3

For England?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 06:20:03 AM »

These look like they'd be animated - visual novels are generally static, no?

DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 08:22:27 AM »

I was going to say the same thing - I always feel vector items are best for cartoony animations. If its a traditional P&C usually only a handful of assets ever move (almost all static). A VN virtually nothing is animated.

VNs rely HEAVILY on extremely good art quality and direction for success. P&C focus more on strong thematic art direction. (See Wadjet Eye Games for example of "ok" art but amazing art direction creating a great P&C)

Im a little concerned you're heading into the trap of neither being true Smiley
mrandyjoe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 05:08:55 PM »

These look like they'd be animated - visual novels are generally static, no?

I'm guessing they will be? At least slightly, if it's also a point and click adventure?

I think your art is good, but the style looks a bit like a Flash game. Which isn't terrible necessarily - look at The Behemoth. They started from a Flash background and all of their artwork still retains that style for the most part. I think we'd need to see more before making too many judgement calls there.

As far as actual art critique goes, I would suggest some work on that boy's arms. His arms look like they're made of taffy and when he yawns, it seems like the one arm stretches.
Suicid3Panda
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2015, 05:21:27 AM »

I like and dislike the art... here's why.  One totally, adorable!  Love it! The issues I have is that everything is dull and brown. Now with that said, the art is clearly going for a theme.  You certainly have style here, and again, it's a plus!  All in all, it's hard for me to judge character art by looking only at the character art. If you had half naked anime girls, many people would immediately praise the character design; however, if people found out that those characters were meant for a gritty, third person shooter, suddenly the characters would be terrible.

To summarize, I like it a lot! I just don't care for browns and grays.  If browns and grays are necessary to your game, then I believe you nailed it! If not, I may only suggest an alternate palette.
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 05:38:05 AM »

I like the style Hand Clap. But I would add some half-transparent textures - at least for the backgrounds.

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2015, 07:52:29 AM »

Thank you for your messages. Yes, the character will be slightly animated like a breathing movement.

For the brown and gray, it's a part of the game. I mean, Kafka is in a depressed world with a lot of violence and this world will become darker, or greyer, if you failed your struggles with people, for example after a dialog if someone take your money.

French Indie Developper working on Kafka - Episode 1 : Ravachol. A visual novel/point and click game based on Franz Kafka life. http://raoulgames.wordpress.com/
Jameswebrown
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 05:23:33 AM »

I think the characters are a good starting point. Considering that you're making a visual novel type thing where the player focus isn't going to be on exciting game mechanics I would consider outsourcing the artwork, maybe to a friend or someone on here. That will allow you to focus on the story telling aspect and it means that someone else will be able to put as much effort into the artwork.
alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 09:54:17 AM »

Hello everybody,

Some news about the game. I've redraw some characters in a more realistic way. What do you think ?

« Last Edit: August 19, 2015, 08:08:20 PM by alfoux » Logged

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »

[img width = 700]

alfoux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 08:09:29 PM »

Could you give me the right code for resize my pictures on Tigsource ?

With Wordpress I can but here, when I'm posting a picture I just have

Thanks, I have so many pictures to resize....

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic