Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 02:17:43 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOverclocked (Out Now!)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Overclocked (Out Now!)  (Read 19074 times)
Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2016, 07:33:04 PM »

I'm really enjoying how smooth the animations look! Kudos!

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 09, 2016, 10:18:05 PM »

I'm really enjoying how smooth the animations look! Kudos!

Thanks a ton!  Smiley

-----

Here's a quick look at one of the game's challenge rooms. These are outside of the main story and are far more difficult!

This level will be available in the demo, and I'm looking forward to seeing if people can conquer it.

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »

Tiny gif today (not sure why though, but alas).

You know it's a bank because of all the gold.

Tangleworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2016, 07:24:06 PM »

Hello again! We haven't updated for the entire month of October, but we're still working on the game bit by bit.

I wrote a parallax object generator so the levels have an auto-generated background, and made some tiled background objects to add some texture and detail to the world. We're also adding more dynamic starts (such as the player dropping in from the sky) to help the story flow.

Here's a more calm scene showing the parallax clouds!

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2016, 04:42:05 PM »

Working on polishing up some pieces of the demo in preparation for it's release!

The city levels now have more decorative tiles and complex building layouts.

Each challenge level has its own unique pedestal and icon!

We've been doing a ton of music and SFX work lately. This is basically the last big task between us and the public beta. After that, we should be good to go. Exciting times!  Smiley

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2017, 11:08:36 PM »

Hard at work today finishing up the demo release trailer, Greenlight page, and a couple other spots! The demo isn't quite ready yet, but we're hoping to have it out pretty soon.

It's been pretty overwhelming trying to get half a dozen different places prepped for launch, but now that things are mostly settled it's a really rewarding feeling. Hoping that everyone else feels the same way  Smiley

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2017, 02:38:43 PM »

Hi everyone! Justin here, I've been working on the sound design for the game. Here's a quick video showing how it sounds right now.

Public demo should be out soon!

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2017, 09:09:08 AM »

The Overclocked pre-alpha demo releases today! Download it here!

-----

Offering up to two hours of gameplay, the Overclocked demo features:
- 20 levels spanning two chapters
- 3 extra-difficult challenge levels
- The introduction to a gripping story of self-discovery

If you like what you see, consider voting for us on Steam Greenlight (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=822804009). Every vote means a great deal to us!

Thanks, and enjoy the demo.

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »

Continuing on with development! Here's a cute little hopper bot for screenshot saturday!

-----

If you're interested in the game, why not Check out the demo?

Dave_C
Level 0

Retrophile

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2017, 11:04:42 PM »

commenting to follow this game and so I remember to download the demo when I git home! looks great.

Tangleworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2017, 01:40:33 PM »

Thanks so much, Dave_C!

Continuing on with development, here's the aesthetic for episode 2.

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 29, 2017, 09:04:49 AM »

Poor little Hopper, doomed to be repeatedly trashed.

-----

If you like what you see, vote for us on Steam Greenlight!

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2017, 02:34:21 PM »

Amber, stop. You're scaring the birds.

bynine
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »

this game looks great! animations are nice and smooth, good graphical style, gameplay looks fun. one sticking point: the running anim looks super weird right now judging from the latest gif you posted

https://bynine.itch.io/ - check out my games here!
Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2017, 02:45:35 PM »

Thanks for the feedback! The running animation might look a little odd because Amber accelerates at the beginning of the gif and decelerates at the end, so it's a bit of an inconsistent speed.

----

We've spent a good deal of time this week working on the Episode 2 boss (which we may show a bit of coming up) and fixing some issues that came with the transition from GameMaker: Studio 1.4 to 2. Moving forward, I'm giving Episode 2 the musical treatment and we'll be polishing the stages as a whole.

thefoolishbrave
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2017, 12:09:46 PM »

Hi Guys! Nice work so far! The animations are really nice Smiley

I took time out to play the alpha demo and took notes on things that I think could be improved.
I think you have some hurdles to overcome on the game's lore.

The main issue I had with playing this game is that the main character felt so... weak.
The main character is suppose to be a super human that was modded in order to take on other super humans, so why does she blow up up instantly when touching something rolling around on wheels (or a normal bank robber, yes he had drones but the bank robber himself was stated to be a normal human)? Games like Abe's Oddysee had one hit deaths, but he was a weak prisoner facing buff guards with guns so it made sense.

I'm confused about why a silly jab can do more to a shield than a full on dash, the jab, look like an ordinary jab and doesn't even need to charge up, if anything, I'd have dashes be instant and the shield break require charging which leads into my final lore/gameplay feedback

The core interaction of this game is the dash, I think this is a huge problem, you are spending half the playtime of the level holding the button to aim a dash, this might be fun at first, but an entire game who's core mechanic is a charge move seems a bit exhausting.

Obviously this are all opinions, but I think there is some reasonable degree of legitimacy to all the points, it feels like the lore can be slightly contradictory!

Other than that I think you guys are doing a nice job! Smiley

Tangleworm
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2017, 04:48:53 PM »

Thanks, thefoolishbrave! Your feedback is greatly appreciated. There is a lore reason that the enemies in the game are so deadly; we're still editing the script, so we'll look into better ways to communicate that!

As for the dashes, the charge-up mechanic is kind of core to the game, so it's unlikely to change, but if it's feeling slow for you we can try to take that into account too. How does it feel to jab an enemy first, then dash into them while they're stunned?

In terms of updates: the boss of episode 2 is coming along well. Hopefully we'll have more to show this Screenshot Saturday. Here's a particle effect I made for the fight.

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 10, 2017, 07:32:13 PM »

Another teaser from the same fight as we posted above!

-----

In other news, we made it through Greenlight in the final batch of approvals before Direct comes in, which is exciting!

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 17, 2017, 08:43:02 AM »

The city is full of danger and birds.

Magnesium Ninja
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: June 24, 2017, 07:37:39 PM »

We've been struggling for a little while with trying to figure out how to properly convey to players that enemies are dangerous at specific times, depending on the enemy type/state. We'd tried electrical particles to imply that touching directly is a bad idea, but players still had difficulty understanding what the conditions for this dangerous state were.

Recently, we came to the realization that the answer wasn't actually all that complicated: Instead of relying on ambiguous logic or non-specific particles, why not just make the enemies look dangerous when they actually were?

Here's an example of a change we made:

Previously, the Patroller enemy happily ambled along, ran into you, and killed you. Why? Who knows, perhaps you stubbed your toe so hard that you exploded. Now, massive sawblades explode from the Patroller's face when it's in an aggressive state. The intent is much clearer.

We've gone through all of the existing enemies and updated the ones that felt confusing of problematic. Overall, the change feels extremely worthwhile!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic