Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:11:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesFallout 4 Countdown
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Fallout 4 Countdown  (Read 9577 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 10, 2015, 08:32:18 AM »

NOT-REALLY-A-SPOILER SINCE IT HAPPENS RIGHT AWAY AND WAS IN THE TRAILERS ANYWAY: Ticking into a suit of power armor and manfighting a death claw in the first hour of the game makes me feel like this game blew its load too early. I got out of the power armor and left it at my growing village because I felt it made the game too easy. Discovering that the game is plainly balanced to try to make you keep it.

you do realize that power armor has batteries that can run out and that you'll have to find/buy/craft new batteries, right?
Canned Turkey
« Reply #61 on: November 10, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »

Putting a timer on an OP mechanic makes it a hassle, but it's still OP.
Starsrift made a good point by saying they blew their load early, but I think they did it more from a game theme standpoint.
The fallout games are supposed to be survival action, and the power suit takes away from that.

It's like if the player had been given a flashlight in bioshock.

What would have been awesome was make the suit worthless in the beginning, and then let you upgrade it with whatever level up points you get.
That way it could be optional, but still kick-ass.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 10:56:45 AM by Canned Turkey » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 10, 2015, 11:25:17 AM »

The fallout games are supposed to be survival action

actually not really?
Canned Turkey
« Reply #63 on: November 10, 2015, 12:01:46 PM »

I mean thematically.
Gameplay wise it's just an RPG like elderscrolls.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 10, 2015, 12:39:07 PM »

Welp

FO1 and 3 are thematically about surviving. 2, and 4 are more about rebuilding society  (NV is about political power struggles between states in a world that has already partially been rebuilt).

I think the design rationale behind giving you the power armor this early is this: this is a bethesda game, meaning there is a substantial amount of players who will probably not complete the main questline and be content to just explore the sandbox. This is a way of giving these players easy access to the power armor, should they desire to use it.

Also the first 2 fallouts are nothing like elder scrolls Tongue
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »

Btw: the bioware dialog wheel in this game sucks. Your dialog choices are so vague that picking them often feels like a crapshoot (esp "sarcastic", wtf).
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2015, 01:10:33 PM »

Also its 2k15 and bethsoft still can't make a seamless world. HOW BOUT THAT
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2015, 08:00:28 PM »

NOT-REALLY-A-SPOILER SINCE IT HAPPENS RIGHT AWAY AND WAS IN THE TRAILERS ANYWAY: Ticking into a suit of power armor and manfighting a death claw in the first hour of the game makes me feel like this game blew its load too early. I got out of the power armor and left it at my growing village because I felt it made the game too easy. Discovering that the game is plainly balanced to try to make you keep it.

you do realize that power armor has batteries that can run out and that you'll have to find/buy/craft new batteries, right?

But it only turns off sprinting, the initially-useless-as-hell VATS (thanks to new character system) and power attacks.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2015, 08:27:05 PM »

Xenoblade x is bigger, has better power armor, and has no problem with seamless open world on x, y and z

Noir

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2015, 11:45:43 PM »

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 11, 2015, 02:44:07 AM »

Survival was only a thing they added in New Vegas, otherwise all games are pretty standart crpg.
Although i think whole survival aspect looked kinda weird in the world that was designed around quests-driven rpg. But i didnt like vegas that much, i think its just stalker with broken systems and that make it look complex but without dynamic world. Seriously, if they removed dialogs, it would not have any impact on quest design.
Thats probably the problem with F4 scoring and beth games in general: it appealed to more casual console people who never played crpgs and all open world they played was gta-clones, so they got easily wooed by something that is more complex than halo. Some non-hardcore gamists i see on tweeter have weird reverence to fallout3, as if it was fallout2.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2015, 03:05:52 AM »

New Vegas has pretty good writing which is something stalker doesn't have. also what you're saying about quest design is bullshit. Is there any game where you couldn't remove dialog and keep the quest design the same?

It's understandable that you didn't like NV if you were trying to play it like stalker tho. It's obvious that obsidian's main concern was getting the story planned for the original interplay fallout 3 into a game. It's really not an open world game at its heart (and definitely not a shooter lol) and i don't think obsidian would have made it "open world" if they weren't forced to use bethsoft's systems and conventions. So the game often feels hamstrung in that sense, but it's still very good considering.

Thats probably the problem with F4 scoring and beth games in general: it appealed to more casual console people who never played crpgs and all open world they played was gta-clones, so they got easily wooed by something that is more complex than halo. Some non-hardcore gamists i see on tweeter have weird reverence to fallout3, as if it was fallout2.

actually

i have played lots of tr00 kvlt crpgs and i enjoy beth games. now what.

fallout 3 is not very good tho, yes
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2015, 03:08:33 AM »

So am i really the only one who doesn't hate this game? Wat a heck.
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2015, 03:19:31 AM »

So am i really the only one who doesn't hate this game? Wat a heck.

I don't hate the game. I really like parts of it and really dislike others. I'll probably sink a couple hundred hours in.

Possibly the first Fallout game I killed Yao Guai before level 9. And as I was looting the corpse, immediately got sandwiched by a pair of Supermutants fighting a quartet of Raiders. Thanks, Dogmeat.

The more of it I play, the more I feel that it's like an Ode to Fallout. Hit all the notes for nostalgia, do some interesting things. Kind of a by-the-numbers remix. I'd be very happy if this is the last Fallout game. I'm not sure what systems they could further cut out for Fallout 5 - maybe character levels and experience entirely and make it a straight shooter?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:26:53 AM by starsrift » Logged

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 11, 2015, 03:56:35 AM »

The more of it I play, the more I feel that it's like an Ode to Fallout. Hit all the notes for nostalgia, do some interesting things. Kind of a by-the-numbers remix. I'd be very happy if this is the last Fallout game. I'm not sure what systems they could further cut out for Fallout 5 - maybe character levels and experience entirely and make it a straight shooter?

But at the same time it has a more complex crafting system than any of the previous games. Actually they didnt cut out that much as far as complexity. The skills and etc are still there, they've just been merged into perks, which yes is a dumb system but not necessarily less "complex".

I think it's actually a step forward  for bethsoft in some respects, mainly writing art direction and combat mechanics (this is the only beth game with non-awful combat). There's also an actual legit use for the random junk you find. I also feel like the world/dungeon design is a step up from skyrim.

Agreed about it being a nostalgia remix, but that's ok. Tbh i am secretly hoping for another obsidian fallout even if its unlikely at this point.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 11, 2015, 06:02:12 AM »

Xenoblade x is bigger, has better power armor, and has no problem with seamless open world on x, y and z

Noir

Xenoblade isnt seamless either you weeb :V
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 11, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »

dogmeat constantly barks at nothing

this makes him a good simulation of a real dog
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 11, 2015, 12:07:57 PM »

Noir

Xenoblade isnt seamless either you weeb :V
Xenoblade X is

@serious

I would like to have your explanation of the merging of skill and perk (I can't play the game)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 11, 2015, 12:30:21 PM »

there are no more skills and everything is a perk now. that means on a levelup you now get to choose between e.g. taking less rads from irradiated food and doing more damage with your gun. the combination with bethesda's trademark enemy scaling makes this problematic bc you basically have to pick damage perks whenever they become available. as a result the game also has fewer "fun" perks. it's a problem that also exists in skyrim but its worse here due to lack of skills.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 11, 2015, 12:57:02 PM »

Wait what's the difference between skills and perks?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic