Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:43:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignHow many different mechanics can you handle in a game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How many different mechanics can you handle in a game?  (Read 1412 times)
DKoding
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2015, 02:26:33 AM »

I am currently in the process of creating a 2D statless action RPG. The game engine I have created is very versatile, it currently contains 2d physics, lighting and particle effects, quests, weapon upgrades, both for sidescrolling and top down action.

Just to see what the engine could do, I have created a lot of different avatars and control schemes, for example: A sidescrolling vehicle simulation using accelerating/braking, a top down tank simulation, a spaceship using newtonian controls, war planes using direct controls, a platformer with double jumps and wall jumps... the list continues.

During development I realized that this allowed for a lot of good and varied storytelling, and dreamed up a lot of scenarios where you first had to invade a planet, drop a space buggy and drive over dangerous terrain, invade a beach with a top down view and explore a cavern using the side scrolling view.

So - here is the question: How many mechanics do you think is viable to put into the same game? GTA V does it well, and so do some other games, but I am also targeting mobile and with just touch controls you are a lot more limited. Would you find it annoying/confusing having to switch between different control schemes during the course of a mobile game?

And - would you play a game like this on mobile, or should I just skip that platform for now and create the game for keyboard/mouse/controller input?
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 01:07:07 PM »

That's a good questions actually. But usually you are in the mood for one thing at a time, not all of them. When people feel in the mood for a sidescroller and jump around they will pick just that. If they want to play something with uniform movement they will pick a top down game etc.

But mobile games have to be simple to be attractive, ideally a simple set of mechanics with a twist and nice flow.

I personally wouldn't mind a game with that sort of variation, if it does all of it right.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2015, 05:35:04 AM »

Your control schemes should not appreciably change, even if the game's 'mode' does.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2015, 10:31:46 AM »

Your control schemes should not appreciably change, even if the game's 'mode' does.

So, the same buttons do the same kinds of things?

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »

same buttons should always do the same kinds of things. only break this rule when it should be broken.

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2015, 09:56:45 AM »

I'm a big fan of these sorts of games! for exactly the reason you said: gives the progression an epic scope. And if you can have the narrative, enemies, friend npcs, whatever, follow you through these widely varied mechanics it creates a really unique atmosphere of rivalry and adventure. Even dumb mini games like the FF7 ones achieve this effect. Anyway just lending my enthusiasm for the style  Hand Thumbs Up Right

jazzmaster9
Level 0

Avid Game Designer.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 06:02:10 AM »

IMO. The amount of features and mechanics you can put will depend on the scale of your game. Putting too much or too little can affect the game in a negative way (but not always), it can become overloaded with features or not enough. It's a matter of proportion.

But this is just personal opinion based on the games I developed.

lobstersteve
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 03:55:57 PM »

I don't think different playstyles are a problem if they follow somewhat similar rules. Like having a shmup section in a jump'n'run. They arrow keys still let you control the player, but the gravity is gone. Just as water levels in mario change up the formula a little, but you still get it immediatly. I actually played super mario world lately and really liked how short the sections are that let you adapt some certain mechanic. Changing up the behaviour of something after the first encounter..like: here's a moving platform, the next moving platform already spins clockwise instead of going from left to right. The new rayman games let you make jumps 20 times, before giving you something new.
I also don't think different playstyles in an RPG are a problem. They spice up the somewhat monotone gameplay that's fighting enemies and make the world feel more alive. (Who doesn't like mini-games in zelda?)
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2015, 04:02:54 PM »

(Who doesn't like mini-games in zelda?)
*The raising of hands intensifies dramatically*

kd.hebbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 06:40:48 AM »

I agree with Starsift. When you play GTA the running and driving are similar enough in controls that if you know one you can do the other. As long as it doesn't handle like QWOP (That hilarious running game) I think you're good.

1 of Paper Equals 4 of Coin
mike96
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 04:50:13 AM »

Nice. very informative.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic