Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:40:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionSpace Voyage
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Space Voyage  (Read 3891 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« on: February 20, 2009, 03:32:06 PM »

Seeing that everyone is doing it, I figured I could just as well open up a thread already, too. Title is still pretty much WIP as I suck with names.

Premise is the following:
You are taking a hike through the woods when suddenly a bright object comes crushing done from the skies right into the middle of the forest. As you investigate you find what looks to be an Alien vessel. There seems to be an entry hatch but there is no sign of life. As you slowly enter the vessel, the hatch closes behind you and there is no light except for a flashing button. Your curiosity overcomes you, and as you press the button you see a myriad of lights coming alive all around you as the the vessel perceptibly lifts off. You can only watch in terror as you can see Earth getting smaller and smaller in the viewport of the vessel until it disappears in a flash of light and you find yourself in the orbit of a strange planet.

Now you are sitting there, with a countless number of buttons, switches, levers and monitors all showing information completely alien to you. How could you possibly find the way back home?

So in essence, that is the premise. You are in a spaceship and have to figure out the controls that enable you to fly home again. However, that goal is entirely optional, there is so much more to discover in this cockpit than just the flying controls. I basically want to make it a "cockpit roguelike", although the cockpit won't be randomly generated each time. The fun will not lie in getting home but in finding out what all the buttons and switches and levers in the cockpit do and how to make the vessel react with its environment.

I intend to make the game in Flash and either Sandy3D or Papervision3D (still torn). I also have no idea how far I will get with this. I have never 3D modeled before and I have never done an actual 3D game before either. Maybe I get all of what I've planned done, maybe none of it. I see this as challenge to myself. No matter the outcome of this, I will have learned something. Seeing as I also really like the idea, I will see this through to the finish way past the competition.

The game is to feature rather lowres 3D graphics, naturally, as Flash utilizes a software renderer. Since I'm not aiming for X3 in terms of graphics it should work though. If everything works out as planned, you can freely move around the vessel in WASD motion with mouselook and press buttons with the cursor. Similar to how Penumbra works. Or maybe Noctis.

The whole game will take place inside the vessel, which in turn will always be circling a stellar body.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2009, 04:08:01 PM by Andreas Kämper » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »

And of course, the first button I'll press will activate the doomsday laser that will vaporize the planet I'm orbiting.

Evil

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »

Sounds very cool. cockpit roguelike, awesome.

Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2009, 04:07:49 PM »

And of course, the first button I'll press will activate the doomsday laser that will vaporize the planet I'm orbiting.

Evil

Among other things. Seeing that planets are the only things that are there besides the vessel they are the main thing the vessel will interact with. You may find Earth but you may accidentally hit the "nuke" button before you hit the "land" button. Well, hello there!
Solved
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 06:41:13 AM »

Sounds really cool. Can't wait to see what sort of stuff you come up with
hamburger
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:41:04 AM »

Hey Andreas, sounds like lots of fun. If you decide you want any coding help, you let me know, m'kay? I'm experienced in AS3, but I haven't done any 3D work in Flash yet, and this would be a good excuse to learn one of those packages. I probably won't have time to do a game of my own for this competition, but I could at least lend a hand.
Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2009, 01:26:06 AM »

The one I'm eying the most currently is Alternativa3D. It may be commercial, but it's free for, well, free stuff and I don't intend to make money off this.
Of all engines it's not exactly the best documented, but it definitely seems to be pretty powerful compared to the others and it has a handy camera controller that gives me instant FPS controls and collision detection, which is probably going to save me a lot of headaches in the long run.

The problems I'm currently looking into are how to properly sync up the positions of a console model and the several buttons on levers on it (which I reckon have to be separate entities to be interactive) and how to actually make these buttons interactive. If I get these two out of the way the only thing that'd stop me from doing this would be the limitations of Flash.

I think I'll just ask on the Alternativa3D forums about both these questions.

Of course every help would be appreciated, but right now I'm not really sure how you could help out Concerned
Don Andy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2009, 01:20:15 AM »

I may have to put this on ice. I haven't really got to work on it at all in March yet, since I was pretty busy with my flat (I moved in a few weeks ago, and for some reason I'm still not done moving in) and other important stuff.

I'm still going to try to make something, but so far it looks pretty bleak. Really, really unfortunate timing.

Next compo I'm not going to make a thread till I have at least one build of the game done. Concerned
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic