Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:32:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)General thread for quick questions
Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: General thread for quick questions  (Read 135331 times)
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: June 28, 2017, 09:41:13 AM »

Yeah. I've relatively little experience with networking so whatever you'd recommend, if TCP is a bad choice. I've only ever done a little bit of TCP/IP and RPC stuff.

Nah TCP is great for that.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: June 28, 2017, 05:51:32 PM »

Yeah TCP would be my only choice between game and tools. Who wants to deal with a lost packet when everything is local (ok I'm assuming everything is local :X)

also libuv is apparently the backend for nodejs so it's certainly been tested.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:29 PM »

For some reason it's super difficult to find a full up-to-date list of not only what game controllers SDL 2 has built-in support/profiles for but also on what systems they work. I'm trying to find info on the Steam controller. There's a recent commit adding support for it "on Linux and iOS", but I don't know about Windows or Mac tho it seems weird iOS would be added before them. Anybody know where to find this sort of info?

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1123 on: June 29, 2017, 01:59:24 PM »

I don't have info, but I can say that one dude Sam doesn't he work at Valve? Pretty sure those guys will pump out support for their Steam-ey things into SDL very consistently. But unfortunately I don't know specifics. I'd suggest to just try it out and see what you can get.
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1124 on: June 29, 2017, 03:55:40 PM »

Yeah. I've relatively little experience with networking so whatever you'd recommend, if TCP is a bad choice. I've only ever done a little bit of TCP/IP and RPC stuff.
Just to clarify. Every tool you build/use has to either choose TCP or UDP to interface networking, which is a part of the operating system. In practice there is not really that much you can do to affect internet traffic/quality of service. In short, if you want to ensure that your sent packet successfully arrives, use TCP (but it introduces more overhead than UDP). If you don't care about occasional packet loss that much, use UDP.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1125 on: June 29, 2017, 04:08:53 PM »

Ah, thanks for clearing that up.

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: June 30, 2017, 01:42:33 AM »

For some reason it's super difficult to find a full up-to-date list of not only what game controllers SDL 2 has built-in support/profiles for but also on what systems they work. I'm trying to find info on the Steam controller. There's a recent commit adding support for it "on Linux and iOS", but I don't know about Windows or Mac tho it seems weird iOS would be added before them. Anybody know where to find this sort of info?

IDK how actively he's involved in SDL atm but icculus aka Ryan Gordon is pretty accessible via mail, could just ask him.
Anyways I know as much as that the Steam controller partly registers as a mouse device. Pretty much any controller that you can think of should be halfway supported on any system afaik.

On the TCP/UDP issue let me add that UDP is usually what you use for game protocols - even if you need/want reliability for some messages, Glenn Fiedler's articles (gafferongames) give good insight on why and how.
But for tools you very certainly fit the exact requirements that TCP has been built for.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: June 30, 2017, 03:55:43 AM »

Yeah, I'm definitely taking the slight overhead over lost packages for something like that. Will see if I dare mail this person, thanks!

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1128 on: June 30, 2017, 04:35:27 AM »

As for the steam controller, there is no support for it in sdl as it looks like a keyboard and mouse. You have to use steamworks for that.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: June 30, 2017, 05:48:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm definitely taking the slight overhead over lost packages for something like that. Will see if I dare mail this person, thanks!

My flatmate had email convos with him before he used to be pretty cool to talk to I think.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: June 30, 2017, 04:16:39 PM »

As for the steam controller, there is no support for it in sdl as it looks like a keyboard and mouse. You have to use steamworks for that.

The Steam controller appears as a keyboard and mouse to your computer? Seems weird, but I get why it would be that way. I'll be able to experiment with that at least, since I ordered two steam controllers a while ago.

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: June 30, 2017, 05:17:30 PM »

For those interested in networking protocols specifically for the world of game development this is a great website

http://ithare.com/category/network-programming/

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 01, 2017, 12:09:26 AM »

The Steam controller appears as a keyboard and mouse to your computer? Seems weird, but I get why it would be that way. I'll be able to experiment with that at least, since I ordered two steam controllers a while ago.

It's because of the trackpads mostly I guess. They're supposed to model mouse like control after all.
It being locked to steamworks is pretty disappointing though.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: July 21, 2017, 11:59:49 AM »

How would one go about determining the technical specs for one's game? Like, my game is a pretty simplistic puzzle game running on a high-end gaming laptop, but I'm pretty sure most people don't need the specs I have.
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1134 on: July 22, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »

Well the way I'm doing it is to track my memory usage, and place hard-limits, from project conception. This can be super hard to do with pre-made engines, but for my own code there's a hard 2GB RAM limit and that number can be adjusted. There's an LRU cache for swapping in and out assets in an async streaming manner. Similar idea for GPU memory.

Specs for min CPU and net bandwidth are probably much easier to come up with. Just set something you recommend the player have to enjoy the game. Same idea for power of the GPU. I myself actually bought some low end machines with really cheap hardware, and can test my stuff on there whenever needed.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 22, 2017, 11:36:10 AM »

Is it enough to slap on a mutex to make logging threadsafe? Huh?

JWki
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 22, 2017, 12:51:17 PM »

Is it enough to slap on a mutex to make logging threadsafe? Huh?

Yeah should be.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 22, 2017, 01:09:29 PM »

Seems like it did the trick. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Without mutex:

With one:

ferreiradaselva
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 25, 2017, 11:49:58 AM »

Ok, I ported the monogame math API (matrices, quaternions, vectors) to my engine. But, I was wondering, what's the best way to represent the object position/rotation/scale (that works for both 2D and 3D)?

Would this suffice?
Code:
struct ctransform {
    cvector3 pos;
    cvector3 scale;
    cquaternion rotation;
};

Then, in the rendering, I would make 3 matrices from those and multiply the end result.

tanner bananer
Level 1

aspiring train conductor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1139 on: July 25, 2017, 12:53:24 PM »

in unity when i'm using licecap to get gifs of my game, when my cursor is hidden, it's still showing up on the gif in the end. it is a custom mouse if that makes any difference.

Pages: 1 ... 55 56 [57] 58 59 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic