Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:25:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)General thread for quick questions
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: General thread for quick questions  (Read 135488 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: December 01, 2015, 12:22:05 PM »

ok thanks it works, I'm following an online course and have no answer when trying to trouble shoot the anomaly ...

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 04, 2015, 06:04:19 AM »

What virtual machine software would you recommend that runs on OS X?

I used to have a sort of neat compilation setup where I'd compile for OS X on my Mac and for Linux and Windows on my Linux PC, but that one was stolen like two years ago now, so I thought I'd recreate that environment on the Mac instead, and I'm thinking why bootcamp and have to log on and off when I could just compile it in the VM and not have to leave my Mac environment?

Unless, of course, you believe it'd be awfully slow to compile on a VM?

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 04, 2015, 08:31:39 AM »

Most people use either Virtual Box or VMWare. I use Virtual Box myself. Virtualization is fast enough for most things these days, since CPUs support it in hardware.
ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #423 on: December 04, 2015, 11:45:27 AM »

VirtualBox is how I build all of my Linux code, and it's perfectly speedy for it. OpenGL rendering and audio output don't seem to work properly, so it's not practical for testing the games built with it, but compilation works fine. I'm doing it on Windows, but I imagine it would work just as well on OS X.

qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #424 on: December 04, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »

I use VirtualBox with Linux and it works great. I setup the device to use 1 core and not much hardware, so I mostly do it just to compile, run, valgrind, etc. For full on testing I have an actual machine with Linux installed (just a preference), but in my experience the VirtualBox OS works perfectly fine and was admirably easy to get working without prior knowledge of VMs or Linux.
Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 06, 2015, 12:54:19 PM »

If I need simple platforming physics (ex: classic MegaMan) but I don't want to code it all from scratch, are there any good physics engines for Haxe that could do the job without having to fight too hard against the physics being "too realistic?" Any opinions on Nape?
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 06, 2015, 04:26:35 PM »

If I need simple platforming physics (ex: classic MegaMan) but I don't want to code it all from scratch, are there any good physics engines for Haxe that could do the job without having to fight too hard against the physics being "too realistic?" Any opinions on Nape?

Haxeflixel

Photon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 06, 2015, 05:19:29 PM »

Haxeflixel
I hadn't thought of that, though if I'm not mistaken that's more of a general-purpose game solution than just a physics engine. I'm picking up a lot of other stuff than physics if I use that, yes?
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 06, 2015, 07:13:01 PM »

hxCollision does SAT collision.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 07, 2015, 04:43:49 PM »

Haxeflixel
I hadn't thought of that, though if I'm not mistaken that's more of a general-purpose game solution than just a physics engine. I'm picking up a lot of other stuff than physics if I use that, yes?

Ah yes that's true. You could most likely pull it out and adjust it for your purposes though. I think ultimately the function just operates on a couple AABB's so fixing up the parameters shouldn't be too hard.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 09, 2015, 06:05:36 AM »

I remember hearing about and seeing this game engine / IDE (like Unity) a few years ago, but I can't for the life of me seem to find it again.

Its main idea was that you could work online and chat with each other and see changes other people made immediately without having to synchronise stuff manually (I think). I remember the interface being sort of beige.

Does anyone know what engine I mean and if it still exists?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 06:24:11 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 09, 2015, 06:22:29 AM »

Whatever that is, it sounds pretty cool.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 09, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »

Yeah. :c

Also thanks to everybody who suggested VirtualBox. Works like a charm so far, tho I haven't tried compiling anything yet. It sits in fullscreen mode on a desktop space of its own that I can just pop into, running Ubuntu. Very integrated. Really cool. And even my oddball magic trackpad with its unorthodox input methods maps perfectly: I can click with two fingers to right click and drag two fingers along it to scroll, even in Ubuntu. So seamless. So nice.

QUESTION!

Haven't used Linux in a while now and I depended on an old setup even then. So. C++14 support these days. Do I get it right out of the box if I apt-get g++? Or is it even installed already with that support? Also I need MinGW with C++14. Does it exist? And is there any more modern IDE than Code::Blocks these days for Linux that's better? Or has C::B gotten better since I last used it, for that matter?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:02:23 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 09, 2015, 10:00:24 AM »

I like KDevelop when I want an IDE in linux. It uses a CMake file as a project file which is pretty cool.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 09, 2015, 10:06:09 AM »

Does it support multiple targets so that I can compile for Windows and Linux alike with minimal efforts from the same project?

It was relatively easy in Code::Blocks, but could've been simpler. The compiler is global so I had to go and browse for MinGW executables instead of GCC ones and vice versa, having to switch each time, being unable to set it up individually for different targets or even projects.

And well, can I tell it to use MinGW instead of GCC at all?

Also do I have to touch makefiles at all or can I use it like Xcode and Code::Blocks? I don't want to work with them.

(reading docs right now but thought I'd ask here in case I get an answer before I can find it myself)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 10:25:08 AM by Prinsessa » Logged

Cheesegrater
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #435 on: December 09, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »

Haven't used Linux in a while now and I depended on an old setup even then. So. C++14 support these days. Do I get it right out of the box if I apt-get g++?

Yes, but g++ defaults to 98. You'll need to add a option for it: 'g++ -std=c++14'. I'm not familiar with the IDE you're talking about, presumably it has a setting for it somewhere.

Also I need MinGW with C++14. Does it exist?

No. MinGW is notoriously slow with updates. There are a few forks of MinGW that move faster, you should look at those.
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #436 on: December 09, 2015, 11:10:38 AM »

Is this what I need?

http://mingw-w64.org/doku.php

Can't figure out whether it supports C++14 tho...

InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: December 09, 2015, 11:26:26 AM »

Does it support multiple targets so that I can compile for Windows and Linux alike with minimal efforts from the same project?

It was relatively easy in Code::Blocks, but could've been simpler. The compiler is global so I had to go and browse for MinGW executables instead of GCC ones and vice versa, having to switch each time, being unable to set it up individually for different targets or even projects.

And well, can I tell it to use MinGW instead of GCC at all?

Also do I have to touch makefiles at all or can I use it like Xcode and Code::Blocks? I don't want to work with them.

(reading docs right now but thought I'd ask here in case I get an answer before I can find it myself)

By virtue of the fact that KDevelop uses CMake files implies that there is some level of portability but it IS C++ so there's always going to be some degree of pain Smiley

I believe KDevelop has some support for maintaining your make file such as when you add a new code file it creates the entries for you but every time I used it I would have to get in there myself. Mind you, most of the projects I did there had language bindings via SWIG which is mainly why I was doing a lot of it by hand. If you don't use something like that you could probably get away with having the IDE do most of the work for you.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #438 on: December 09, 2015, 11:32:58 AM »

Might have a look at it. It's not that Code::Blocks is awful but it just feels a bit old and outdated since there is so much stuff in Visual Studio and Xcode, so in the "worst" case I guess I'll just use that since I know how to.

EDIT:
KDevelop's integrated git stuff looks appealing, tho... Yeah, yeah, I know I said I'd never use git again after I lost a lot of stuff, but I more or less have to if I'm to make this work out well... Gonna make a manual copy of my project and then try to reset my repositories and TRY to start committing regularly...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 12:31:50 PM by Prinsessa » Logged

Loop Gain
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #439 on: December 09, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »

Is this what I need?

http://mingw-w64.org/doku.php

Can't figure out whether it supports C++14 tho...

I use MinGW-w64 4.9.2 at work and if I recall correctly support for C++14 is extensive but incomplete.

It's not that Code::Blocks is awful but it just feels a bit old and outdated since there is so much stuff in Visual Studio and Xcode, so in the "worst" case I guess I'll just use that since I know how to.

Are you using ones of the recent nightly builds of Code::Blocks? They come out quite regularly. Admittedly, C::B's UI still looks a bit dated, but it remains my C++ IDE of choice (incidentally, setting up MinGW-w64 in C::B is quick and easy).
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 69
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic