Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:38:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)General thread for quick questions
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 69
Print
Author Topic: General thread for quick questions  (Read 135417 times)
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #880 on: October 16, 2016, 12:38:33 PM »

Not at all! c: I actually felt the same way, heh. Didn't mean to assume anybody was a beginner either, just didn't know one way or the other, so I didn't want to risk confusion just in case, that's all. p:

Unfortunately can't help you with this particular issue as I don't even really know what a half edge is, but I hope someone will come along who does. I guess all I can say is that when faced with circular reference problems, one might want to try and come up with a different design if possible.

GGfpc
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #881 on: October 16, 2016, 02:10:30 PM »

Im trying to remake Tiny Striker and I have no idea how the shots work. I've managed to find all the points the user touches and smooth the curve but how do I make it continue past the shot point and how do they prevent curves that are impossible in real life?

Here's a link to the game

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fatfish.striker&hl=pt_PT

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #882 on: October 16, 2016, 02:47:20 PM »

@princessa
You still know much more than me in the hardcore coding convention (yep I don't know the stuff about "ref"). I'm more focused on hi level "features" that are language agnostic.

It's not my design, it's a very broadly used format in 3D manipulation of "manifold" objects ... I only know about it because most implementation of quickhull (the algo I'm implementing for convex hull).

But there is some plot twist:

2: UVs discontinuity threw off the validation code I have been building to visualize feature. All Uv (duplicate the vertices)

1: I don't need to translate arbitrary meshes into half edges Cry I'm doing procedural stuff I can build directly in half edges  Tired

Hey I wrote code that will be useful anyway  Toast Right

cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #883 on: October 20, 2016, 09:30:03 PM »

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this. I'm kind of an idiot when it comes to the technical side of things, but basically, I want to make a game with vector art.

I know that you can rasterize vector art and import it into engines, and that Unity has extensions on the asset store that will import them as meshes. (I don't actually know what a mesh is, but I'm not sure that's important.) My question is, do any games engines natively support vector assets? One of the main benefits of vector art is the ability for it to scale, but if you rasterize it, you lose that. I'm sure that if you export assets at a large enough size it wouldn't matter, but rasterizing each individual asset is frustrating to me when I think about the possibility of just plopping in vector files and having it be supported. I'm probably getting ahead of myself, but with 4k resolutions looming, vector art (which I already have some experience with) seems more and more appealing, but from what I can tell Game Maker, Unity, Godot, Clickteam Fusion don't support it as is.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #884 on: October 20, 2016, 10:34:37 PM »

A mesh is vector art anyway, but the kind of vector you are talking about is like "flash" which is basically a vector engine. What you want is to do mesh stuff and learn about vertex art.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #885 on: October 22, 2016, 01:51:39 PM »

Alternatively, check the Unity Asset Store for vector packages, of which there are several.

LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #886 on: October 23, 2016, 02:15:00 AM »

Quick Question: I want to use 4096x4096 texture pages in Game Maker: Studio. While I know most machines can handle that these days, what devices can't? Just like to know in case I happen to make other versions and I'm not sure which ones can or can't. Thanks!

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #887 on: October 23, 2016, 03:21:37 AM »

I want to use 4096x4096 texture pages in Game Maker: Studio. While I know most machines can handle that these days, what devices can't?

You can find 148 desktop chipsets that don't support it here. And when you want to look up mobile chipsets this site has got you covered. And here is a table containing the information for iPhone / iPad Smiley
LucasMaxBros
Level 2

My body is ready.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #888 on: October 23, 2016, 03:49:15 AM »

Thanks, pal!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #889 on: October 23, 2016, 09:12:00 AM »

random seed = x*1000 + y
It has a clear pattern when trying to fill spatial hash index by x,y

Someone know a solution?

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #890 on: October 24, 2016, 07:45:50 AM »

You mention random seed, which makes me think you're seeing a pattern from a poor RNG, but also spatial hash, which makes me think you're using a hashing algorithm. Which is it? Those are very different things with different implications. A clear pattern from a hashing algorithm might not be a problem.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #891 on: October 24, 2016, 08:13:00 AM »

The random generator is working well when used in sequence (ie use one seed then generate n number).
But if I use n SEED in sequence, there is a pattern.

The spatial hash is simply a hash of coordinate into coarser coordinate, of the type X = x/hashSize, I use this hashed coordinate to create a seed (basically mixing X and Y in a single number).

So this, in theory, allow me to have the same seed for the same hashed position, which in turn is used to generate a sequence of random number use for positioning entity. So any time I return to this cell (the hashed coarse position), I would have the same placement.

Problem is that
- across n number from seed s it's random
- across n seed from number s, it's not

Basically seed have a pattern among them, and using a sequential hash (where the hash is of the type n+1) to generate seed, lead to pattern as the sequence of all seed correlate across them.

Problem is that random generator are sequence base, you can't query the nth number of one seed unless you go through all of them.

edit basically try that:
pseudo code:

Code:
while (n){
         seed(n+1);
         plot random(x), random(y);
}

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #892 on: October 24, 2016, 10:05:26 AM »

Certain random number generators work better if they're permuted a few times after seeding. What does it look like if you stir it by generating and discarding 100 or so random numbers after each time you seed?

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #893 on: October 24, 2016, 05:24:51 PM »

seed by local position hash

(look similar with 100 permutation)

one seed (global dependence, not good for local generation)

ThemsAllTook
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #894 on: October 24, 2016, 09:15:33 PM »

Weird. It looks like the PRNG you're using might not be up to this particular task. Maybe you need a different algorithm? Here's the one I use, though there's no telling whether it would do any better without actually trying it: http://ludobloom.com/svn/StemLibProjects/utilities/tags/1.5.0/source/utilities/Random.c http://ludobloom.com/svn/StemLibProjects/utilities/tags/1.5.0/source/utilities/Random.h

DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #895 on: October 25, 2016, 09:06:37 AM »

I don't know a whole lot about PRNGs and use a pretty crummy one myself (linear congruential generator) but I've heard the Mersenne Twister is pretty good. If you have a need for speed at the cost of quality, Xorshift is a passable PRNG.

You can see a list of PRNGs here.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 25, 2016, 09:32:21 AM »

Thanks for the reference, I have found this article, and they have a long ass random generator, I'm prototyping in blitz3D too (but had similar result with other engines)

http://blog.runevision.com/2015/01/primer-on-repeatable-random-numbers.html

I'll try to implement different type of generator and report result in the pcg thread

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 25, 2016, 03:31:33 PM »

Actually, a Mersenne twister is what we use in school for rng, seeded by a random device. And our prof says it's good, so give it a try!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 25, 2016, 04:59:07 PM »

Actually, a Mersenne twister is what we use in school for rng, seeded by a random device. And our prof says it's good, so give it a try!

Multiple Mersenne Twister instances that differ only in seed value (but not other parameters) are not generally appropriate for Monte-Carlo simulations that require independent random number generators, though there exists a method for choosing multiple sets of parameter values
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mersenne_Twister
 Cry

DragonDePlatino
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #899 on: October 25, 2016, 05:40:14 PM »

Come to the dark side and try a linear congruential generator! Who needs any semblance of quality when you've got raw speeed! Evil

Code:
static unsigned int seed;

void seed(int newseed)
{
seed = newseed;
}

int roll(void)
{
seed = (seed * 214013 + 2531011) % 2147483648;
return seed >> 16;
}
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 05:59:58 PM by DragonDePlatino » Logged