Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:46:44 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTower of Heaven - [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Tower of Heaven - [FINISHED]  (Read 20706 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 08:08:14 PM »

this is epic. Keep going with this epicness.

godsavant
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2009, 02:20:32 PM »

New Version is ready! I've changed the download link in the OP, so go check out the changes we've made!

UPDATES:

-Altered intermission rooms.

-An entirely new level, complete with vine graphics!

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY...

-At the request of almost all of our testers, controls have been changed! The Z key  is Jump, and X is interact, select, and scroll through text. No more mashing the spacebar!

Is the new control scheme more intuitive? I know it makes the "can't walk left" level hard as hell... Embarrassed
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2009, 06:27:37 PM »

Very cool, man!  I had no trouble with the "can't walk left" level using the new control scheme.

Some suggestions: the only thing I don't like is having to press "Q" to save at each level.  Would there be any reason I wouldn't want to save?  If not, autosave would be preferable.  Also, a separate key for the rules seems unnecessary - couldn't that be bundled in the menu?  Actually, the action key seems slightly superfluous, too, since it's only used for entering doors and advancing text, which could be done with up/down and jump, respectively.

Love the idea and the overall vibe, though.  The intermission room was AWESOME - would love to see more of those.  The levels were nice and challenging, too.  Can't wait for more beastly rules!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »

Just tried it, very nice. Difficulty is perfectly dosed IMO Gentleman
You guys should always add screenshots to your game threads, I tend to totally overlook games when they don't have screenshots.
Now finish it.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
godsavant
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2009, 07:43:41 PM »

Yep, here's Flashy's original idea for the intermission rooms.

Quite striking.

Just tried it, very nice. Difficulty is perfectly dosed IMO Gentleman
You guys should always add screenshots to your game threads, I tend to totally overlook games when they don't have screenshots.

Thanks, and yeah, I only know how to take screenshots on Macs, not on my Vista laptop.

Some suggestions: the only thing I don't like is having to press "Q" to save at each level.  Would there be any reason I wouldn't want to save?  If not, autosave would be preferable.  Also, a separate key for the rules seems unnecessary - couldn't that be bundled in the menu?  Actually, the action key seems slightly superfluous, too, since it's only used for entering doors and advancing text, which could be done with up/down and jump, respectively.

Great ideas, aski should be reading over this, as well.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2009, 06:41:31 AM »

I think you just hold Ctrl + Prt Scr, which is right above insert on my keyboard. None too sure about your laptop.
Dook
Level 0

Wombat!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 02:51:16 AM »

I really like this game. Having the rules of the game change as you play simply by God telling you what you can't do reminds me of childhood games such as the 'floor is made of lava'. There's no reason we can't go left other than the rules say so (well the lightning bolt obviously but there's no thing on screen preventing us from moving in certain directions or touching the sides).

Very well done! I'm sure there's more to do with this simple concept  Smiley
Nitro Crate
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »

I like how the first thing you touch is grass on the level where he says you can't touch living things.  Durr...?
godsavant
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 01:09:31 PM »

I like how the first thing you touch is grass on the level where he says you can't touch living things.  Durr...?

Yep, we've already fixed that in the upcoming version, but I don't think it's a big enough change to warrant another announcement.
Annabelle Kennedy
Awesomesauce
Level 8

♥Android Love♥

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2009, 01:42:43 PM »

this is really cool i saw it was updated and i played it again.. there was only one new level.. ): Z buttom for jump works great now makes a difference.  I will second the notions of him being really really picky on when he can and cant jump.  In most games theres a 1 or 2 frame buffer time that allows you to jump just as you walk off the platform which feels more natural. i think.
godsavant
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 02:07:29 PM »

this is really cool i saw it was updated and i played it again.. there was only one new level.. ): Z buttom for jump works great now makes a difference.  I will second the notions of him being really really picky on when he can and cant jump.  In most games theres a 1 or 2 frame buffer time that allows you to jump just as you walk off the platform which feels more natural. i think.

I never noticed that in games!  ^_^;

If aski still visits, he'll probably test it out, but another problem seems to be that the intermediate-shaded shadows on the blocks are often mistaken for solid objects when players are trying to inchworm their way onto the edge. So many problems are coming from my graphics...Sad

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2009, 04:41:52 PM »

I've played through the end of the demo, and I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the game so far. It feels pretty good, and the level design seems really well thought through. I don't ordinarily like 'frustration' games, but I find this one appealing.

I hope you finish this, I'd very much like to play through the end. Cheers!

(Note: While typing this, I found myself worrying about moving the cursor to the left.)
Griff
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2009, 06:43:05 PM »

Really cool game, I like the idea and the art is great!

Here are some of my thoughts:

-As others have said, I hate those hidden spikes.  Maybe you can see a difference, but when you are making a quick jump where you have to perfectly watch where you land, you don't have time to see the difference.  Every time one of those hidden spikes killed me I had to force myself not to quit only because I wanted to see more of the game.  They feel very cheap.  Maybe if the blocks they come out of were more obvious.  Or just remove them.

-In the level where you get the tablet, I feel like you should make it so there is only the one block that kills you, instead of having the three on the platform and then the one you jump up to (if that makes sense).  I died so many times just trying to get the timing right.  I feel it would alleviate some frustration if you made those three bricks on the lower platform not fry you, especially since you are still learning the mechanics of the game.

-The bouncy plant, on the same level as above, I had no idea what it was going to do.  First I tried avoiding it and died.  Next I jumped on it and then got stabbed in the head.  Since the player has no idea what the plant does, maybe you should at least remove the spike above it to give the player a chance to learn.  Or have the plant earlier in the level or in a previous level.

-I really like the art style.  It reminds me of a gameboy game with the colors! 

-I like how new rules keep getting added as you progress.  It keeps the levels fresh and exciting.

-I like the idea of climbing the tower, very cool.  It would be really neat if every level when you look out those windows you could see that you are getting higher and higher!

Anyway, it was really cool and overall I liked it.  Look forward to seeing more!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 08:34:46 AM by Griff » Logged

godsavant
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2009, 04:25:24 PM »

Really cool game, I like the idea and the art is great!

-As others have said, I hate those hidden spikes.  Maybe you can see a difference, but when you are making a quick jump where you have to perfectly watch where you land, you don't have time to see the difference.  Every time one of those hidden spikes killed me I had to force myself not to quit only because I wanted to see more of the game.  They feel very cheap.  Maybe if the blocks they come out of were more obvious.  Or just remove them.

Thank you. As far as the spike blocks, I've gone as far as I'm willing to go with those. If there's a way to tell where they are, it becomes the fault of the player if they fall for it.

-In the level where you get the tablet, I feel like you should make it so there is only the one block that kills you, instead of having the three on the platform and then the one you jump up to (if that makes sense).  I died so many times just trying to get the timing right.  I feel it would alleviate some frustration if you made those three bricks on the lower platform not fry you, especially since you are still learning the mechanics of the game.

The three blocks just force you to jump from farther back; removing them or deactivating them would make it far too easy, considering that jumping over hazards is not a unique "mechanic" to this game. The sooner people realize the lethality of those blocks, the better, right (particularly since not everyone is going to look at their rulebook when they first acquire it)?

-The bouncy plant, on the same level as above, I had no idea what it was going to do.  First I tried avoiding it and died.  Next I jumped on it and then got stabbed in the head.  Since the player has no idea what the plant does, maybe you should at least remove the spike above it to give the player a chance to learn.  Or have the plant earlier in the level or in a previous level.

IT'S A FAN. Angry Angry Angry Angry

But thank you for the feedback, I guess I could add some 'windlines' over the fan to make it more apparent.

Also, just finished this promo piece, I thought you guys might want to have a look:

« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 05:38:11 PM by godsavant » Logged
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2009, 04:47:52 PM »

that promo piece looks really fantastic, godsavant

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2009, 11:03:48 PM »

It crashed when I pressed "w" in the room right after you spoiler.  Sad
Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of  Step Event
for object obj_showrules:

Error in code at line 8:

if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_right) and i < maxrules then i += 1;

at position 46: Unknown variable maxrules

A little frustrating at times (mostly the hidden spikes), but overall very fun.

rapidwingo
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 04:03:21 PM »

I actually like how unrewarding the game is in these cases. It forces an aspect of trial and error. Some people may be annoyed by having to play the level over and over, but in this case, it is part of the game design.

The second the I got the tablet and rules were added a level of potential was added.
The limited color palette calls for efficient use of color and you used the colors really well.
Also, the music is phenomenal. I could listen to it on repeat all day.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:06:33 PM by rapidwingo » Logged

JoeInky
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »

This is a really good game, i love the style and the ideas, hopefully the levels will get more difficult.

one thing i noticed though, in the room where it says you cannot touch living things, youre standing in a patch of grass <.<
godsavant
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2009, 10:24:27 AM »

This is a really good game, i love the style and the ideas, hopefully the levels will get more difficult.

one thing i noticed though, in the room where it says you cannot touch living things, youre standing in a patch of grass <.<

Yep, we've already fixed that in the upcoming version, but I don't think it's a big enough change to warrant another announcement.

And thanks to everybody for their criticisms, opinions and compliments, particularly on my art and flashy's music.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 11:05:07 AM by godsavant » Logged
godsavant
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 06:06:33 PM »

Everyone said they wanted a gameplay video, so

, although it's not the most flattering thing...Thanks again to NecroVMX, we suffered with you.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic