Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 02:34:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTower of Heaven - [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Tower of Heaven - [FINISHED]  (Read 20678 times)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2009, 12:00:13 PM »

Finally played this last night. Love the art, particularly the dithering in the backgrounds and the jumping animation.

What I especially enjoyed was how everything in the game - the mechanics, the art, the music, the length - went toward making a very satisfying, closed experience. Often one-screen platformers feel daunting to me, simply because there is an attempt to exhaust every possible combination of challenges, but Tower of Heaven was nicely edited to deliver a good feeling of accomplishment without stagnating.

|
godsavant
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2009, 12:03:18 PM »

is there a mac version?

Sadly, no. Wait for GM8.
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2009, 12:35:08 PM »

One thing I suggest is having a 3rd background tune.

Cause the music switches the further on you go.
But on the last level when you go out the window it switches back to the first tune

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2009, 05:32:19 PM »

One thing I suggest is having a 3rd background tune.

Cause the music switches the further on you go.
But on the last level when you go out the window it switches back to the first tune

There already are 3 level songs. The first level does not share the same music as the final level. You must be talking about the early demo versions, because I hadn't composed the other songs at the time and they used the final stage's music for the demo levels.

It.. sounded.. the same to me
 Embarrassed sorry haha

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »

Well, the songs all share the same central melody. The first song I composed for the game was the ending theme, and all the other songs were remixes based around that melody. Wonder if I should set up a download for a high quality version of the soundtrack sometime...

YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2009, 09:45:38 PM »

I still have that zoomed in glitch. It was fixed in Indie brawl by changing quality from 1 to 0, but I don't know what the equivalent of that is here.

Could you fix it please? Beg
Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2009, 02:50:01 AM »

Perhaps it's a bit of a plot hole or perhaps it's just something important I've missed because I've not yet quite finished the game. But after The book of laws shatters surely the yellow blocks should be safe to touch again?

godsavant
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2009, 07:35:43 AM »

Perhaps it's a bit of a plot hole or perhaps it's just something important I've missed because I've not yet quite finished the game. But after The book of laws shatters surely the yellow blocks should be safe to touch again?

Facepalm

YES THE YELLOW BLOCKS WERE NOT MEANT TO BE PART OF THE RULES.

Jesus, I should just put that in the OP....
Pixels
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »

I finally finished the game as well now and I really enjoyed it! I want this game on my NDS  Hand Thumbs Up Left
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2009, 10:09:28 PM »

I still have that zoomed in glitch. It was fixed in Indie brawl by changing quality from 1 to 0, but I don't know what the equivalent of that is here.

Could you at least respond to me about my problem? Cry
godsavant
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2009, 10:17:50 PM »

Aaw, now you make me feel bad... Sad

I messaged aski about the problem a while ago, but I haven't heard anything about it since. I'll remind him, but honestly, I think there's a lot more wrong with your computer than a few indie games running awkwardly. Concerned
godsavant
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2009, 08:34:07 AM »

Figured it out. Alright, your problem, again, is drawing surfaces; in Indie Brawl, you fixed the problem by turning surfaces off (i.e. quality=0). However, the same cannot be done for Tower of Heaven, since the game needs surfaces to run, else it crashes.

But since we love you so much, aski is trying to make an alternate non-surface version for unfortunate fans such as you.  Wink I'm guessing it might run blurry on some computers, but hey, that's the price you pay.  Shrug
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 31, 2009, 10:55:26 AM »

I blame Vista!

And thanks for trying at least!
godsavant
« Reply #73 on: August 31, 2009, 12:43:09 PM »

New download up in Announcements! You can now change the quality to 0 in the .txt file.
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2009, 03:31:42 PM »

SWEET! Thanks!
oxygene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2009, 07:02:18 PM »

I downloaded and tried to play it, but the colours were skewiff... i.e. on the second screen all I got was black and green..... so couldn't play it.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2009, 07:31:23 PM »

I downloaded and tried to play it, but the colours were skewiff... i.e. on the second screen all I got was black and green..... so couldn't play it.
I'll quote from the readme. This is the ONLY thing under the help section -

"
Problem - My screen is zooming up to the top left corner of the screen or there are black boxes around all the images!
Answer - Open the included file "quality.txt" and change the value from 1 to 0. This will lower the graphics quality, but will allow you to play the game.
"
oxygene
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2009, 07:34:54 PM »

Seems odd with Twin Nvidia 9800 GTS SLI video cards that I'd have to turn the quality down... anyway its not my style of game...
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2009, 07:54:16 PM »

Seems odd with Twin Nvidia 9800 GTS SLI video cards that I'd have to turn the quality down... anyway its not my style of game...
Turning down the quality doesn't actually do much to the quality, it just makes a couple of sprites a little bit blurry (not very noticeable).

Anyways, try out the game anyways, trust me, you'll like it.
godsavant
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2009, 08:21:59 PM »

Turning down the quality doesn't actually do much to the quality, it just makes a couple of sprites a little bit blurry (not very noticeable).

Anyways, try out the game anyways, trust me, you'll like it.

Yes, I'm afraid aski admitted there was little he could do without that tradeoff. But unless you're recording video, it shouldn't be that much of a problem.

The thing I'm more worried about is technical trouble the surface tweaking could cause. Be sure to message me with any bug reports you find in lower quality.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic