Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:21:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHypno-Joe - Mario Bros meets Dr. Mario and Bubble Bobble
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hypno-Joe - Mario Bros meets Dr. Mario and Bubble Bobble  (Read 5308 times)
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« on: June 05, 2015, 06:49:15 PM »

Well I didn't really want to start posting even a devlog until I had something interesting to show.  Came up with an idea to combine a platformer and a match-3 -- emphasis on platformer (and yeah I know about super puzzle platformer deluxe and this isn't very much like that if you can consider it like it at all).

Really want some feedback, but didn't feel it's finished enough to be in the playtesting forum.  So this character about this brain with eyes legs and feet but no arms or hands was something I came up with one night joking with a friend through aim and I made some doodles.  You can see the character in my avatar.  I didn't really have a game for it, so when I started this game, I figured I could use him for this, and it was a pretty good fit.

Keep in mind that it's merely an almost complete prototype.  None of the art work is there, there's no sound, right now it only plays with flash in browser (I plan on porting it to mobile devices and possibly html5 ).  So it's played like this, since you can't fight, you can only hypnotize your enemies by looking them in the eye and hitting your 'x' button.  Once you do that you'll be carrying them and then you must drop them into the box in the bottom.  You must arrange them in rows, columns, or diagonals to remove them and gain score.  So that's pretty much the gist of it.  I don't have any set goal right yet, and you don't get extra score for combos.  You do have 3 lives.  Blue matches are worth the least, green matches are worth more, and red matches are worth the most.  Likewise row matches are worth the least, columns are worth more, and diagonals are worth the most.  So to maximize your score you want to make diagonal, red enemy matches.  There are a few notes here, that is, when you drop them you essentially sort of toss them to the left or right of you, so you can't get them in the exact position you have to sort of line up your shots...  I plan to have pick-ups/power-ups, bonus rounds, some other little goodies.  You'll have a ton of levels, and you'll have scoring goals.  Also I'm able to adjust the frequency of each color of baddie, so I will be tweaking them.

One important thing here though, is that you must look the enemy in the eyes, or hypnosis won't work, and you can't carry a baddie, this is a fundamental component of the game.  Yes I could make it easier but it wouldn't be the same game if you could just zap them and run over them.

I just want to know if there are any major bugs.  Thanks for your time.

Anyways you can play it here -- Click the screenshot to play in flash/browser:

Dev size: Click here
Native size (smaller than the main link above in the image): Click here
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:29:27 AM by Uhfgood » Logged

Suicid3Panda
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 05:03:49 AM »

Hey!  So as far as major bugs, I really didn't notice anything immediately.  Of course, the simpler the game, the less room for bugs.  The ONE bug that I thought might come up is "what happens if the box fills with no match 3?  Is it game over?  I think if you add some animations and stuff like that, the bugs will really start to rear their heads. Also, I understand that you have to hypnotize them face to face, but why do you have to pick them up face to face?
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2015, 11:56:24 AM »

Thanks for the feedback.  You automatically pick them up when you hypnotize them so you're not doing both.  Hmm... Yes I didn't think of filling up the box with no matching, that's certainly possible.  Basically the enemies sit on the platform when it fills up a column.  I will have to give that some thought.  I had some thought earlier about letting them get out some how, now I'm going going to have to do that.  Thanks for that.  After addressing that problem I'm planning on giving them a little extra personality by having the green ones drop down occasionally and the red ones jump.  Then I will have you work towards a goal to end the level.  We'll see where to go from there.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 11:46:25 AM »

I've updated a bit, to temporarily take care of the situation that Suicid3Panda proposed.  It will now randomly remove a block when the box is filled which either results in an opening, or allows more matches.  I will use some variation of this in the final game but for now, this will do.

I've also gave each enemy a little personality by adding a falling capability to the green ones and a jumping capability to the red ones.  The blue ones work as before.  Next up is a level goal.

The visuals haven't changed at all and neither has the location so I'm just copying this over -

Click the screenshot to play in flash/browser:

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:29:15 AM »

Another update.  Several bugs quashed. Now has a goal of a number of matches before the level (the game) is over.  It isn't a big update but it was a lot of work today with bug fixes and little tweaks.  It doesn't really look any different other than "combos" saying "matches" instead, but I went ahead and took another screenshot any way.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 06:01:00 AM »

Okay major update.  Fixed some bugs, probably introduced a few others.  The big change here is it now has levels.  2 to be exact, and not that all exciting, but it is the next step.  Let me know of any bugs you encounter.  I did take a new screenshot with the new "level 2"

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2015, 11:32:04 AM »

Okay squashed more bugs and the new thing here is a menu, level screen, game over screen, in game menu, instructions.

So let me know what you think, still a lot of work to do.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 05:51:17 PM »

Okay big news, but not in the way of actual development progress.  I decided to add in an html5 version.  I'm using haxeflixel and it's html5 is still somewhat experimental, it uses bitfive-openfl on the back end.  What that means I really have no idea, but as such there may be some bugs.  So first I'm going to link you to the swf as-per-normal and then link you to the html5 version.  So if there's some reason you can't do flash, maybe you can play it here.  'M' to pull up the menu in the game, this will also pause the game.

Here's the HTML 5 version:

HTML5 Dev size: Click here
HTML5 Native size (smaller than the main link above in the image): Click here

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2015, 01:35:50 PM »

A change in the way you control the enemy.  Instead of picking them up you drag them.  You do this by pressing x like normal and moving left and right, however, you lose the enemy if you drop down, and have to re-acquire him by hitting x again.  Drop him by hitting x yet again when you're over the box.

Let me know if this slows down game play.

Here's the HTML 5 version:

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2015, 11:51:08 AM »

So this is essentially the same as the last update, except I fixed a lot of bugs and dragging works properly now.  You must be facing them to hypnotize them.  Sometimes you'll lose control either they drop down or you do and you have to reacquire them by hitting 'x' again.  Let me know if this slows down game play.

Here's the HTML 5 version Here

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2015, 04:59:27 PM »

This is really cool! Is their direction when dropping random? That can definitely effect gameplay a lot. It's good, but at the same time annoying, and kind of makes them feel a little 'dumb'. Perhaps you could have different types, some that always try to approach you (maybe they could attack you) and others that always flee. Although, despite saying that, I like the randomness because you never know whether you will be getting it, or whether they are going to get you. Of course this is just a prototype, but still, food for thought. You could even have ones that are random, but will attempt to jump over you.

Another thing, when I picked them up, I wanted to drop down a layer, and it didn't quite feel right with it offset me. I think I would prefer the player holding it over their head.

Good game, and nice blend of mechanics! It is surely a fun game.

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2015, 05:32:33 PM »

The blue ones just move until they hit invisible switches that tell them to change direction, or hit the wall tiles.  The green ones will drop down occasionally through the floor, and the red ones will jump up.  I opted to keep my scope small, so those 3 separate behaviors should be enough for this game.

You lose control of them when you drop down or they drop down, and have to regain it by hitting x again when you're facing them.

I will probably try another control method next, but thanks for the feedback

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2015, 12:00:12 PM »

Now is the final enemy control method, and if this isn't any good I may go back to the old "picking up" mechanic.  Simple thing here, use 'x' to hypnotize as before, and then manually move the enemy to the drop box, you can jump and also drop down a platform.  You can hit 'x' again to release the enemy, or you can alternately hit the down arrow to drop him into the box.

Here's the HTML 5 version Here

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2015, 01:00:38 PM »

I slowed down player movement, and fixed several bugs, but otherwise it's the same as above.  If any of you would, please test it out and let me know about any bugs (I'm sure there are many).

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 06:30:56 AM »

So we're back to the original method of pick-up and go, however this time, you have to stun (hypnotize) the enemy first before you can pick them up.  However, if they're still hypnotized, you can still automatically pick them up again.  You still have to be facing them -- I haven't decided if I want to keep it that way or not.

Quick note on the various versions.  Dev version means the size I chose to develop the game in, which is double it's native resolution.  Native is essentially the actual pixel resolution of the game itself (which is 384x480).  The version that's linked through the gif and the first "html5" link are actually 1.5x native resolution just in case you have a smaller monitor such as a laptop monitor.

Click the image to play (small / 1.5x) flash version:

Here's the (small / 1.5x) HTML 5 version Here

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2015, 03:56:40 PM »

Okay this time, I've fixed numerous bugs, and it now has a bonus level, which means you have to make as many matches as you can before the timer runs out.  Also I've added extra lives based on a certain amount of points.  Starts out at 100, and then increases by 100 each time you earn an extra life.

I've noticed some slow down in the bonus level, from what I don't know at this point.  There's probably other kinds of bugs, please if you play this, give me some feedback.  What you like, or don't like about it, what is frustrating, if there are any things you see as major bugs.  Please leave some feedback.

Quick note on the various versions.  Dev version means the size I chose to develop the game in, which is double it's native resolution.  Native is essentially the actual pixel resolution of the game itself (which is 384x480).  The version that's linked through the gif and the first "html5" link are actually 1.5x native resolution just in case you have a smaller monitor such as a laptop monitor.

Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2015, 01:12:22 AM »

Gentleman I like the new level place! I like the idea of a bigger 'puzzle' area and timer mode is a great addition.  Hand Clap I'm certainly preferring that wobble above the head to previous 'holding' modes,

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2015, 07:56:00 AM »

Gentleman I like the new level place! I like the idea of a bigger 'puzzle' area and timer mode is a great addition.  Hand Clap I'm certainly preferring that wobble above the head to previous 'holding' modes,

Cool thanks for the feedback.  The level with the bigger area and timer is a bonus level, in which you must get as many matches as possible before it runs out.  You don't actually die during that level.  While right now it's the last level, it won't be in the near future, so it gives you a chance to really rack up the points before going on to the next regular level.

Yeah the levitation seemed to be the favorite, only now it's a two step process.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »

Okay so basically I've done a bunch of refactoring and added a few things.  Now there's a freeze token which will if ran over freeze all enemies on screen for a certain period of time.  I only added it on the first 2 levels as I was testing, this should be in all levels in the future however.  I've also decided to reward the player for hypnotizing enemies while they're in "angry" mode.  It will randomly drop tokens for you to run over and grab some sweet bonus points.  There's an element of chance here so you won't get a token every time you hypnotize them in angry mode.  I've also weighted it favorably towards the red enemies, to encourage you to go after them.  300 points for red ones, 200 for green, and 100 for blue.

Also I've changed how I move the enemies when they hit the switch-points (invisible markers telling it where to jump, drop or change direction), I've now instituted a pattern so that savvy players will be able to predict how they move.  I might have to tweak this a bit, because I've made 8 steps for the blues, 12 for the greens and 16 for the reds.  It's intended to be more challenging to figure out the reds pattern vs green and blue.  16 and 12 might be a bit too much, I'm not sure, but will have to test it in the future.  Since I've done that, the blues now are able to drop, the greens jump, and the reds now do both.  horizontal (left/right) and vertical (jump/drop) are different patterns, however, so it might just feel like the old random method.

Uhfgood
Level 1

225 lbs of awesome!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 06:43:44 AM »

Core functionality complete.  Okay there may be still a few tweaks.  Probably more than a few bugs, but I finally added everything I wanted and then some.  I've added what I call a "zapper" which is a field that sits above the pit, where if you touch it you die.  This should dissuade players from 'camping' over the pit.  I've added a run button which is of course the same as the other actions, you can hold down 'x' to run.  I've also added a few "pre-boxed" enemies so that will get you started in the right direction.  You probably already saw the freeze token, which will freeze all enemies on screen for a certain period of time, only one to a level.

So essentially this is all the game will have in it.  After testing and tweaking for a while, I'll start working on adding placeholder animations, and all the other "content" type of stuff.  I might have a complete polished game before actually adding levels.  Haven't decided on that for sure yet.  So a lot done and still a lot yet to do.  Let me know what you think.

As per usual:

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic