Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:52:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWhat do you do with an idea?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What do you do with an idea?  (Read 2191 times)
arxbombus
TIGBaby

View Profile
« on: June 07, 2015, 06:12:41 AM »

Hey guys,

I'm just on here to ask what you do with a great idea for a game but absolutely no knowledge or skill with programming and a little bit of artistry?

Please help!
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 07:00:04 AM »

Anybody can be an idea guy and there is 99% chance your idea is not great at all.

Edit:

well.... either you start learnin via easy access program learning tools: Construct 2, Gamemaker , Clickteam ...

or you find programmers and artists who might trust you which is as stupid as going in the street and asking random people to lend you money because you have an awesome business plan that will make 1 dollar into 100 dollars.
diegzumillo
Level 10

This avatar is so old I still have a some hair

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 10:30:49 AM »

If you have a bit of art skill you could start by making some concept art, mockups, maybe even start doing game content like animated models/sprites and stuff like that. Then use that work to see if you can find collaborators.

DanglinBob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 07:32:53 AM »

Ideas are worth nothing. Literally nothing Smiley If your idea is super amazing, go get the skills to make it real. Unfortunately, odds are by the time you have the skills you'll realize the moment has passed (or realize it wasn't as great an idea as you thought).

Still, if this is your springboard to seriously get into game development, make it happen. You'll never be able to prove all us negative folks wrong otherwise Wink
woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:11:04 AM »

Dream about it, expand it, write it down, draw it.

You could give people money to make it.
You could learn to make it yourself.
You could make it public so that someone might make it, and you get to play it.

Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 07:46:21 AM »

Since you're new to game dev, I recommend something like Scratch http://scratch.mit.edu or maybe even Stencyl, if you like Flash games. If you're going after a more programming language, I'd recommend BASIC or maybe even Java.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 08:29:09 AM »

When I get an idea, I write it down as a design document. I state what game mechanics is pulls from other games. Then I describe in detail the mechanics that will separate this game from its peers. I sometimes give a brief description of how the user will play the game and the types of decisions they will be making.

If it is a plot heavy idea I make an outline of the story. Then I break down the acts into mission instances or environment flags depending on the sort of game play I am trying to deliver.

I also make a list of programming classes and art assets that will be necessary to bring this idea into reality.

After I spend a few hours to a day on a preliminary design document I file it away in my Design Document folder on Google drive and never look at it again. Writing a comprehensive design document is cathartic, but really is only 1% of the work needed to make a video game. I just don't have the time and energy to do the other 99%.  Cry

If it is an idea that I don't have the appropriate talent for (like an art heavy idea), I dump it in the Pitch Your Game Topic Thread: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=5131.0 and hope it inspires someone else. Other times I program a prototype and see if the game mechanics I dreamed off are all that fun in reality. The answer is most often no.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:37:49 AM by Wilson Saunders » Logged

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
ostrich160
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2015, 05:32:36 AM »

You learn to create it.

Ideas are worthless, anyone can come up with good game ideas. My dad has never played a game in his life, he's got some great ideas. Its easy.
That being said, some games are slightly less worthless than others. If its extremely easy to make, and yet still fun, it has more value. So if your big idea is 'an MMORPG where you...', its worthless worthless.
It doesnt mean it'd make a bad game, but ideas are worthless.

What I do personally is write it down on a massive document.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 06:40:45 PM »

I will answer the question in a direct manner:

"What do I do with an awesome idea?"

Get the technical skills required to make that idea a reality. In the case of a game this means learning programming, animation, sound design, level design and a plethora of other things. Basically work hard and do the thing!

ash87
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 01:49:01 PM »

I mean, I'm in the same boat: I just decided to try game making as a hobby... Just... you know, make something.

Gamemaker and Unity are free downloads, and the sheer number of tutorials means that you should be able to muddle through the technical stuff.
Ashedragon
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 08:43:13 PM »

I forced myself to learn. Really all there was to it, haha.

LtRin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 09:06:48 AM »

Dream about it, expand it, write it down, draw it.

You could give people money to make it.
You could learn to make it yourself.
You could make it public so that someone might make it, and you get to play it.

This is one of the answers I found to be pretty honest and direct with options. 
You could also pitch the idea to someone with the means to provide funding and then hire a team of programmers and direct them on how the game should look, play, BE.
As a handful of the responses mentioned, you need some sort of concrete presentation (animation, mock ups, etc...) to make this a viable avenue of creating your game.

Game on Smiley
coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 03:29:44 AM »

I've made games for about 5 years now. Ideas don't mean a thing. What really matters is developing your own taste and ability to execute and be productive. If you think it's about having a great idea, then you are wrong.
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2015, 04:53:16 AM »

You learn to make the idea into a game! :D

Download Game Maker and start doing tutorialsWink

hexstonepatriot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »

You truly do just have to start making stuff. I was stuck where you were for a really long time. Trust these forums, they really do know what they are talking about Wink
sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 01:21:03 PM »

Ideas... Write them down briefly and either ditch them in your ideas box for future reference or start doing something to make it more than just an idea. Most game ideas are flawless, only during development the flaws start to become apparent. This also happens with the visual aspect so if you cant code just start making some art and you will already be able to tell if it just feels wrong or if theres actually potential.

G-Factor
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 04:27:33 AM »

There are so many fantastic game making tools these days that if you think you have a great idea, you definitely should learn how to make it yourself. Maybe 10 years ago before Unity/Unreal you were out of luck if you couldn't program. But nowadays, these tools shield you from the really technical side of game development. I'd suggest starting with a simple game engine (GameMaker maybe? Although I've never used it) and slowly build up your skills. If you dedicate time to your craft you'd be surprised how quickly you become proficient at it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic