Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1323208 Posts in 59600 Topics- by 50767 Members - Latest Member: RobertHamm

November 25, 2017, 01:46:22 am

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFamily Man - Demo testers required
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Family Man - Demo testers required  (Read 12725 times)
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: June 08, 2015, 02:42:38 pm »

VOTE FOR THIS ON GREENLIGHT: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=476562080

Trailer:

My next project is 3D first person game based on the life of a family man pushed to the limits of his own morality for the sake of his family. Think Breaking Bad, meets Papers Please, meets Hitman.

Goals

The goal for me on this project is to make a more original experience than my previous project, and also to create an emotional response from the player. This project will also be massively challenging for me as a single developer, the last game I produced, Polarity was an enormous undertaking for one person, Family Man will be even larger in scale.

Core Gameplay

I already have the core game loop planned, essentially your family bills keep going up and it's your choice as the player as to how you get enough money to keep your family going. Illegal activities earn more and give you more free time in the day to spend with your family, however they take a moral toll meaning you can't sleep at night. The less sleep you get the poorer your performance the next day, and so the cycle continues. There are RPG elements including a full dialogue system & combat. Committing crimes will affect the neighborhood and will be reflected in the lives of the other characters.

Story

There's a rough story that plays out, but in the devlog I will be skirting around the key plot points, I don't want to spoil anything.

Characters

This is another big challenge, I've never made a character centric game before, the writing will be expansive including the players family, people at work and various characters you meet around the town.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 08:00:57 am by Bluebutton » Logged

qwetro
Level 0

Werner Zhang

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:32:53 pm »

Breaking Bad is awesome, I guess your story would be touching as well, I'm expecting. Keep going  Smiley

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:59:28 am »

Breaking Bad is awesome, I guess your story would be touching as well, I'm expecting. Keep going  Smiley

I certainly hope so, that's the goal although rather than observing a character change over time I'm hoping the player will too.

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 02:41:25 pm »

Some good progress today, I've implemented a first pass system to open doors/drawers/cuboards etc and a first pass inventory/looting system. I also know if the player is stealing an item or just picking it up.

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 06:08:48 pm »

I want to play this so fucking bad.
Let me be a beta tester :D

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 11:54:16 am »

Haha thanks! You'll get your wish I'll be releasing a demo at some point.

ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 01:01:45 pm »

Glad to know that :D

csg
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 03:29:47 pm »

hey, looks good!

I like your clean and simple artstyle, good choice. Are you working with Unity?

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2015, 03:55:08 am »

hey, looks good!

I like your clean and simple artstyle, good choice. Are you working with Unity?

I am indeed working in Unity. The artstyle is inspired by the Simple asset series by Synty, I'm using a combination of their stuff and original work to create the style.

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2015, 08:18:49 am »

More progress, once you lose you're job working at the Burger bar is one way to make money.

Surprisingly difficult to make those burgers flip in a satisfying way....

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2015, 08:58:54 am »

Digging the concept, sounds like it could get pretty intense! Will there be instances where if you cross the wrong person, they'll start to go after your family?

Those are some sweet burger flips. You could probably reuse them for a Denny's type restaurant where you have to make pancakes too.

bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2015, 09:05:31 am »

FLIP

THOSE

BURGERS

following

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2015, 11:32:52 am »

Digging the concept, sounds like it could get pretty intense! Will there be instances where if you cross the wrong person, they'll start to go after your family?

Those are some sweet burger flips. You could probably reuse them for a Denny's type restaurant where you have to make pancakes too.

Maybe? I haven't decided if I'm willing to cross that line. You'll definitely get into some terrible situations as a character if you tick off the wrong people, there will probably be branching story points where you can get killed too.

FLIP

THOSE

BURGERS

following

Burger flipping mini-game, confirmed!

Nate_G
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2015, 01:19:53 pm »

Dang, was liking this right up to the burgers and then I was totally won over. Gameplay sounds like it could be really intersting, and I'm digging the look.

icefishing v, a noise-based ambient game: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=28630.30
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2015, 03:08:35 pm »

Dang, was liking this right up to the burgers and then I was totally won over. Gameplay sounds like it could be really intersting, and I'm digging the look.

Thanks! Sounds like I need more burgers if they're winning people over.

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2015, 04:10:29 pm »

Having some real fun with this character.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2015, 08:52:15 pm »

I really love this concept. And the style looks good as well.

I was really enamored with Papers Please with it being more of an emotional experience. I think there is so much room to grow in that direction too.

I like the burger flipping too! It would be interesting if there were some emotional satisfaction meter or indication of the character while performing various jobs. Like this job pays well but its boring and unfulfilling, this illegal activity pays better but it increases anxiety.  Could there be some equilibrium achieved between emotional dissatisfaction vs financial payout?

Idk I am rambling, but I love it so far. Smiley

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Curio Quest * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

https://ashtonmorris.bandcamp.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2015, 07:19:21 am »

I really love this concept. And the style looks good as well.

I was really enamored with Papers Please with it being more of an emotional experience. I think there is so much room to grow in that direction too.

I like the burger flipping too! It would be interesting if there were some emotional satisfaction meter or indication of the character while performing various jobs. Like this job pays well but its boring and unfulfilling, this illegal activity pays better but it increases anxiety.  Could there be some equilibrium achieved between emotional dissatisfaction vs financial payout?

Idk I am rambling, but I love it so far. Smiley

Actually yeah that was my first thought, though it may be that the currency is time. Working at a burger place may pay the bills but you won't spend enough time with your family and they will leave. Doing something illegal may pay the same and give you more time to spend with them. Glad you like the concept.

ashtonmorris
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2015, 11:01:32 am »

Yeah I like that. Also it would be interesting if some of the illegal stuff started small. Like a customer gives you too much money and you have the choice to give him the proper change back or pocket it. In that way the morality could slowly erode.

Ashton Morris - Composer & Sound Designer

Goliath * Wings of Vi * Lemma * Curio Quest * Star Command Galaxies

http://www.ashtonmorris.com

https://ashtonmorris.bandcamp.com

Twitter: https://twitter.com/ashtonmorris
ernanir
Level 2

Hello World

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2015, 02:57:42 pm »

American Beauty can be a great inspiration for this type of story.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic