Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1308856 Posts in 58572 Topics- by 49695 Members - Latest Member: Deshe1982

August 16, 2017, 05:55:36 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFamily Man - Demo testers required
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Family Man - Demo testers required  (Read 12007 times)
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2016, 10:38:55 pm »

JAIL

This last week I added the concept of jail to the game, if a policeman witnesses you committing a crime he tells you to pay a fine, you don't pay it he tries to knock you out. If he succeeds you wake up in prison.

First crime, you're in there for 1 game time day, second 2, third 3.

I've also just about finished the first pass quest integration so there are now deadlines on quests that can be completed/failed.

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2016, 02:44:59 pm »

Let's burger.

The Burger bar job is finished, at least for now. I got a little caught up in this and ended up polishing it to beyond what I would call first pass. It actually turned out to be pretty fun! Got plenty more ideas for it but need to leave it for now.

Other updates, actually a ton of stuff has gone in, just need to find the time to document it in GIFS. Character routines now work so they have daily rituals, the day depends on their routines.

First pass day/night cycle is in here:

Which actually works with the timings of the rest of the world/characters/routine.

Getting there and ever closer to that elusive demo!

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2017, 03:45:40 pm »

Arise! Dead thread.

Whoa, it has been a while. I've been tied up with a few other projects but now they are out of the way and Family Man is back in focus. Opening the project after a year and a Unity upgrade was pretty depressing, nothing worked and it took me a while to get things back up and running. Everything was so much more broken than I remembered leaving it.

I've decided to change tactics and instead of implementing all the systems to a very baseline level I'm going to work on the systems separately until I'm happy that they are what I would call alpha complete and then move on. Originally I had planned to get everything just barely working so I could shape the game at a high level if required but then no part of it feels representative. So far it seems to be working.

Currently I'm focusing on the combat system, it's come a long way, I'll be sharing new screens and gifs soon.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2017, 03:47:53 am »

Hurrah, glad to see it's still going! Coffee

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2017, 01:23:38 pm »

So, as promised.

First the animations:

Old Brawling:

New:

Old baseball bat

New

A new move - The kick

All of the players attacks interact with the world, and the enemies. The new kick is a critical element of combat in that is can be used to knock-back enemies who are too close and doing damage.

Personally I think the new anims have much more punch (literally) to them and they also make it feel so much more responsive. I also fixed the dodgy collision system so it's totally reliable now.

Next up...charge attacks.

JayArKid
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 25, 2017, 01:46:33 pm »

Can't wait for this, especially like the new punch animations, like how the fists go more into the environment in front of the player, nice touch, also the bat swing animation has a good amount of sway after the swing, nice man keep t up Smiley
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2017, 01:43:46 pm »

Still combat system ongoing. Attacking charge attacks turned out to be a significant rewrite (of course). So that's in progress. In the mean-time though I added knockback to the enemies when kicked:

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 27, 2017, 04:40:51 pm »

Hands Hands

This has been bothering me for ages, so I took a stab at making the arms much more final as they felt really prototype up until now. I'm pleased with the results but would be interested in hearing peoples thoughts. I also added slow-mo on charge attacks but it got lost in the .gif process Sad

I don't know why that chair in the distance goes nuts, but I like it.

io3 creations
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: May 28, 2017, 11:46:04 am »

Because it's a bouncy chair! Cheesy   

It does look fun bun is it a glitch or is that expected reaction?  i.e. do other objects also behave the same way?

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: May 28, 2017, 11:12:26 pm »

Because it's a bouncy chair! Cheesy   

It does look fun bun is it a glitch or is that expected reaction?  i.e. do other objects also behave the same way?

It's a glitch, I haven't set up the objects mass so I think during the fight it's getting some crazy amount of force applied.

oxrock
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #130 on: May 28, 2017, 11:31:04 pm »

The game seems like a lot of fun and I love the way it looks, I'm a voxel man myself  Gentleman
Looking forward to seeing this develop further!

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: May 29, 2017, 05:59:13 am »

Thanks for the feedback, although there won't be any actual voxels!

Plenty more to come.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #132 on: May 30, 2017, 03:47:40 am »

The player's arms look really punchy and responsive to hit with but when the player is being hit by the other character it seems like they are hitting a brick wall. Maybe a little knockback/shake/tilt as the player is hit? Other than that looking really nice!

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: May 30, 2017, 03:06:32 pm »

The player's arms look really punchy and responsive to hit with but when the player is being hit by the other character it seems like they are hitting a brick wall. Maybe a little knockback/shake/tilt as the player is hit? Other than that looking really nice!

I Couldn't agree more:

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #134 on: May 30, 2017, 11:12:41 pm »

Nice!

DrHogan
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #135 on: May 30, 2017, 11:20:56 pm »

Very very promising, if it plays as well as it looks, it might be a quite interesting one this one, keeping my eyes on it Wink I agree with the comments on the visual feedback on the fight, might need a bit more oomph there.

Dr.Hogan-Lead Developer at H&R Games
------------------------------------------------------
Empires in ruins
Krisjet
Level 0

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #136 on: May 31, 2017, 12:59:30 am »

The concept is very intriguing, I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone else try to do a Breaking Bad style story in a game before. My guess is it's a more challenging medium to make it work in, since not only does the player have to accept what the protagonist is doing, but you also have to actually take part in it, but I imagine it would be even more powerful when it works. Good luck, very interested in how this one turns out!

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: May 31, 2017, 09:05:07 am »

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I made a new baseball bat asset and created new anims for its attacks,

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:27:46 am by Bluebutton » Logged

Battlefrog
Level 0

Broc W.

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 01, 2017, 03:54:33 pm »

I love this devlog.

Keep going!  Beer!
Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: June 07, 2017, 01:14:01 pm »

So some new updates.

Stamina System
This required some iteration but it's in now. You lose stamina by attacking, it recharges slowly over time when not attacking. If you are a holding for a power hit and run out of stamina it turns into a normal attack automatically. Enemies will not chip away at your stamina, they will affect your health. Your stamina slowly drains if you are constantly blocking to prevent players from just turtling up the whole time. There is also a "tired" anim if you try to attack when out of stamina, I could've done without this from a scope perspective but not having the feedback just felt wrong.

Power Attacks
Boy oh boy. This one was a doozy, originally my plan was to have the player hold the attack to "charge" an attack and releasing it at the right time on the stamina bar (like the active reload in Gears of War) would execute the attack. Sounded good so I implemented that, the problem was that all anybody did was focus on the bottom left of the screen any time they considered it, completely distracting them from the actual fighting, moving, blocking etc. So I had to come up with another solution that kept the focus in the combat and the action. One option was to do something in the charge anim, a shake or something that indicated it was the right time, I experimented with that but it was in the peripheral vision, easily missed and hard to communicate. Ultimately this is the solution I went with:

I'm going to be doing some playtesting with new players in the next week so next I need to get a health system working in there and improve the AI a bit.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic