Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1395286 Posts in 67250 Topics- by 60313 Members - Latest Member: alterego35

September 19, 2021, 07:21:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopHow to improve the backgrounds?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to improve the backgrounds?  (Read 1259 times)
Saithir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 11, 2015, 12:35:49 AM »

Hey, I'm having some problems with drawing the backgrounds for my adventure game, so I'm here to ask you for some feedback.

Disclaimer - I'm a much better programmer than artist, but you probably can guess it easily from the images. Wink

The main issue I have is the dividing walls. I want to convey that this whole area is two rooms and blocked from the right, but currently it looks off (especially the window). I don't want to change the perspective, because a) I like this "cutaway" look, b) it would require me to draw everything from the start and I'm not good enough for it Smiley

Second one, just the walls without anything:

Anyway, any feedback would be great Smiley

woodsmoke
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 01:36:11 AM »

The desk and the bricks are quite pretty Hand Clap Smiley

Maybe put a picture/certificate on the wall, and add floor skirting.
What is the function of the left room? Put some object in there accordingly. Copy room? Coffee room? Meeting room?
The windows have no frame/border on the outside. Also I would remove the lighter light-blue from the windows. Maybe reuse it for simple reflection effect on the glass. Safety rails?

I'm not an advanced pixelartist, so that's all I got.

Saithir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 02:29:28 AM »

The desk and the bricks are quite pretty Hand Clap Smiley

Thanks Smiley I like them as well, this worked out quite good for my skill Wink

Maybe put a picture/certificate on the wall, and add floor skirting.
What is the function of the left room? Put some object in there accordingly. Copy room? Coffee room? Meeting room?

Yeah, that all will be added Soon(tm), I just needed to have some mechanics done, so I've paused the drawing to work on that instead. There will be a flag and some logo emblem on the wall, and I'm not sure about the left room. It's there just so the player can walk through, so I guess I'll put something there so it doesn't look so empty, but it's not supposed to be important at all Smiley

The windows have no frame/border on the outside. Also I would remove the lighter light-blue from the windows. Maybe reuse it for simple reflection effect on the glass. Safety rails?

Hm, I'll try to do the reflections somehow. This is too mostly unfinished, as I needed a quick background to put in unity, so there's supposed to be more stuff in these two rooms of course. Smiley

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 07:15:29 AM »

colors are the main problem
general rule is that they should not be realy saturated in background. Just bring the wall and wooden objects together in terms of brightnes, maybe itll connect better
also maybe add some noise or random pixels to the texture, thatl make it look more complicated.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »

Another way is to look at "area transition", details (dirt, shadow, wear) tend to accumulate at "transition".

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic