Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:44:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCOLUMNAE: A Past Under Construction (nonlinear steampunk point&click)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: COLUMNAE: A Past Under Construction (nonlinear steampunk point&click)  (Read 25223 times)
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: July 10, 2016, 02:28:07 PM »

@PetterBegmar Thanks!

Some thoughts on the first 3 days of our Kickstarter Campaign

The most important things that happened in th last few days:

Money: We have reached 10% in less than 24h, which is awesome. Then, it slowed down, and we didn't really get to 20% in the firs 48h, but it was still fine. Today, it's been a VERY slow day regarding pledges. We are at 22% right now. I'm concerned a little, but I heard weekends are usually not that good for Kickstarter, so I try to stay calm Smiley

Many A True Nerd and many other not so famous Youtubers are doing Let's Play videos of our game, and it helps a lot to watch people play the demo and see what they like, don't like and what is too hard or easy for them. I also wish my computer could be able to run COLUMNAE as smoothly... and with screen capture software enabled on top! Just to record some gameplay for the part of our explanatory video, I had to go to a friends place to use his computer... and even then I could not really pull full HD. But I guess we just have crappy computers, as no one complained yet about performance.  

I have a feeling the press is pretty much ignoring us. Sites and communities focused on adventures have been very helpful, but other than that, we got almost nothing. As RPS wrote about us when we only had a teaser, I believed they would write again now that we have playable demo. But no luck so far, they (and others who wrote about us) are apparently not noticing or ignoring our repeated attempts to get their attention.

Here's our new video in HD on youtube. It's more or less the old teaser on the beginning with 2 more minutes of explanatory video. If you want to skip to the new part, it starts on 1:39. Here's the link: youtu.be/pbst_ILJ8KQ

We have also put COLUMNAE on Steam Greenlight about 8 hours ago. Here's the current situation if you are interested. To be honest I have no idea if these should be considered good or bad, but it might be useful to someone maybe.

That's about it for now. If you want to help us you can give us some advice on what to do next here, play our demo and give us feedback, share our Kickstarter campaign (or pledge!), and vote for us on Greenlight etc.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:52:58 PM by jovan.vesic » Logged

site  |  devlog  |  twitter  |  facebook | indieDB
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2016, 08:45:47 PM »

We have an Update about characters. I will paste the content here for future generations :) But here's the link to the original.

Characters (Part I, updated)

(1) She’s a young, talented, independent and rebellious girl, living in a society where it is still debated if women should be allowed to vote or not. Her mother is a madam in Pleasure House, an establishment connected to “The Three Gentlemen” and rumored to have close ties with smugglers from the Cliffs. She never learnt who her father is (but she doesn’t even care!), doesn’t have any friends of her age and considers both of the political entities ruling over Columnae (the United Protectorates and the Democratic Republic) to be perpetrators of an inherently unfair capitalistic society.

(2) His father was an entrepreneur and, at the time of his death, an owner of a considerably successful edible compounds processing plant. The father hoped for the business to continue after his death, but his only son didn’t share his enthusiasm for “exploiting the workers”, and soon sold the factory to some tycoon to pursue an “bohemian lifestyle”. The wealth acquired this way allowed him to live a comfortable life, study philosophy and literature, experiment with photography and phonography, and enjoy opium and alcohol for a decade. During this period he made friends with an enthusiastic pilot and a poet-theorist. These dreamers soon opened a private club that came to be known as “The Three Gentlemen”. They are suspected of being involved in spreading a new religious teaching which is rapidly gaining popularity in Columnae, especially amongst poorer people.

(3) An all-around journalist, designer, editor and pressman of “The Columnist”, the most influential newspaper in the Democratic Republic. While he claims to be a big proponent of press freedom, and has undoubtedly published some bold stories in the past, sources of his income are not as transparent as he would like them to appear. Others have accused him of deliberately avoiding certain themes and watering down The Columnist’s content which had been known for its investigative journalism and focus on politics, but has recently started favouring fashion articles and lowbrow entertainment with popular “Gentleman of the month” centrefolds and unavoidable “Etaoin shrdlu” limericks. 

(4) This scientist is recognized as a genius in both the United Protectorates and the Democratic Republic. He’s a devoted researcher and admirer of Machina, and the inventor of Marvellous Flying Capsule - a contraption which is supposed to launch an individual into air and land him safely into Deus from above. Several people have reportedly already commissioned a capsule, were launched successfully and haven’t returned - which is taken as a proof that the concept works perfectly. He was recently recruited by the government of the Democratic Republic to be a part of an independent team researching the reasons behind the gas shortages.

(5) First Consul, Princeps Senatus and Honorary Chairman of the Democratic Republic is primus inter pares among the three Lords of Democracy. Mind you, it’s only a temporary position while the things are rough, and even while in effect the position is rotated between the three of the Lords. He’s working hard on “restoring the constitution of the Republic”, but the opposition in the Lower House would have us believe he’s working harder on finding a way to get filthy rich.

(6) Mr Tywinson is the owner of several factories among which is an edible compounds processing plant that he has cheaply bought years ago from a spoiled kid who inherited it but didn’t have what it takes to run it properly. He earned a fortune by being close to the political elite of the Democratic Republic, but it has left him without friends among archons of United Protectorates. This has proven to be an uncomfortable position now that the only option to get gas is to smuggle it from them.

(7) Perhaps he cannot move without his wheelchair, but he could make half of Columnae move with just a few words. Despite being an undisputed ruler of the United Protectorates, he allows his vassals (“archons”) to individually set their own local laws in the columns they directly control, and sometimes even tolerates fightings between them. The only things they are never allowed to question are his supremacy over them, and an unwritten code of honor. His residence is among the uppermost buildings in Columnae (because “clean air helps his lung condition”), and is the only one with an actual garden and orchard. Much like his plants, he is constantly being attended by one or more of the young boys living with him.

(8) Everybody refer to her as “Oil Baroness” but no one dares call her that in her face. She’s the first individual known to successfully found a permanent settlement on the surface of wastelands after the apocalypse. Still under construction, this Greenhouse Dome is pretty far away from Columnae, built above rich oil reserves. It has the quickest expanding population of those looking for a steady job and long-term security for their families. In a very short time, this lady of unknown origin has managed to become one of the major players in the region and to secure the service of notorious air pirates from the Cliffs as her own mercenary army.

(9) A ruthless air pirate, a cunning smuggler, an aging charmer and a cold-hearted mercenary. He was born in the Cliffs - the only other settlement beside Columnae known to have survived the Apocalypse. As a young pilot, he became one of the pioneering smugglers of oil, opium and other goods that could not be found and are prohibited in Columnae. Later he became involved with the Baroness, and moved to Greenhouse Dome as a leader of her mercenary air force. He couldn’t care less for mysteries of Deus, but will never refuse a glass of Deus Rum.

(10) This elderly mystic and “keeper of the ancient knowledge” considers herself to be a spiritual leader of the Cliffs and claims to know the “real story” of how Machina, Columnae and Deus were built, what they really are, why some of the builders were banished halfway through the building process, and what does all of this have to do with the people living on the Cliffs. Perhaps even more intriguing is her conviction that a messiah was born in Columnae and is going to set all the old wrongs right. She’s mostly ignored by common folks in the Cliffs, but strangely, some of her beliefs seem to be modified and implemented in learnings of a new cult which is lately flourishing in Columnae.

(11) Living in the Cliffs as a hermit for many years now, he was born in Columnae and worked as a mechanic in █████ ████████ until ██████ and ██████ him ██████. However, he found the official excuses to be completely unbelievable and ███████ from ███████ of ███████ ████. After a series of █████████ and ███████ he was █████████████████ by ████████ in an attempt to █████████ him ███████████. He managed to ██████ but his belief that ███████ is ███████ was now completely shattered, and ███████████████. Alas!

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: July 13, 2016, 05:58:19 PM »

Fake IndieGoGo Campaign

Ok, so a really strange thing just happened! Our friend pointed us to a fake crowdfunding campaign of our game a couple of hours ago! The real campaign is on the Kickstarter, but this one was launched on IndieGoGo. Here's a screenshot:

Their page linked to all of our real social media addresses, had all of our pictures, video and part of the text. It even linked to our itch page for demo download! The rewards were different (their "200USD for your name in credits" reward sounds a little too much for me btw) and there were only three of them.

The second part of the text was also different and I find it very interesting that they decided to change it. Some interesting parts:

Moonburnt Studio is a small team of passionate and talented developers and while we're able to operate on the revenue we earn from the sales of our others projects, it's only enough to continue funding our core business, the development of video games. With our transition into full-time development, we'll need help from you, the fans and members of the crowdfunding community to get us off to a great start. We want to make this game with the fans, and it’s important to us to remain independent for that reason. Ultimately, this game is for you. We want to ensure your voice is heard and we deliver on what you want. We've done the math, and with $1500 we're confident we can complete the project which is already in its final phase and thus power deliver a game (and rewards!) that every fan will love - but with additional funds, we're prepared to increase the scope of the game and include some great stretch goals that will enhance everyone's experience.

Wow, I really wish the bolded parts were true!  Who, Me?

We are hoping to exceed our goal in order to bring you a more exciting experience. When our stretch goals are reached, prepare yourself for what is to come including cross-platform integration, new locations, challenges, and multilingual support.

This part is kind of scary to me, because it means someone REALLY researched our project. They mention things that are not part of our main goal, and also DON'T mention things that would not be logical to add to a point&click adventure, and that one would expect to be mentioned (for example multiplayer).

FINANCIAL RISK: Games are very expensive to make. We’ve worked on several big-budget games and have senior developers onboard to help budget the project properly. We have frontloaded a great deal of development using our own funds, taking on the risk ourselves. It wasn’t easy, but we’re driven to see our vision of COLUMNAE complete and in your hands. Now, with a pre-alpha demo, we need your help to get us to the finish line!

We never worked on big-budget game, we never even published a game before! Person who wrote this recognised this truth is not a good for marketing and decided to change it. Oh my!

SCHEDULE RISK: One of the biggest risks with any project is the completion timeline. Early on in a project, estimates are far less accurate than later. Fortunately, we’re starting this campaign at the 25% mark in development, so our estimates are more accurate than usual. Still, game development can be unpredictable at certain stages, and we understand that. Our goal is to do our very best to complete the game as outlined by our funding and stretch goals. Should the schedule need to change, our backers will be the first to know and we’ll be as transparent as possible. We’re in this together.

This is almost creepy. Our estimate is indeed that around 20-30% of the work for this game is done. But as far as I remember we only mentioned it in one reply to a backer and on this board (see the icon of the topic)!

FUN RISK: Making a entertaining and dynamic game is the ultimate goal, but it’s more of an art than a science. Often times a feature may not be as entertaining as we’d like, and requires more iteration. Luckily, we’re working with some amazing developers that have shipped critically acclaimed AAA titles to help ensure we’ll make the game dynamic and engaging. During several phases in the project, we’ll be conducting limited focus tests for every level and every feature. Through rigorous focus testing and iteration, we’ll be able to optimally tune the game and maximize the fun. We know you care a great deal about our game, and we do too. Your support will help ensure COLUMNAE is as fantastic as it can possibly be!

This again.

So we notified IndieGoGo, and it was promptly taken down (for which I am really greatful, I feared it would be a few-days "investigation" from their part to be honest!)... but not before we warned people about it on social media and posted an update about it on our own campaign.

Now here's the weird part. Now that everything ended, I actually kinda fear some people might think we made it ourselves to get some attention. I admit I was really suspicious when reading that recent last-minute pledge credit card story about that other  game because the story itself did really good job of promoting their game. And even then I felt guilty that my first thought was they did it themselves on purpose... but I was still suspicious! Fortunately this was not as big deal so we gained no press attention (it's also weird to say I'm glad the press didn't write about us, because at the moment we actually REALLY need it).

Others said this is a sign that somebody recognised we have a nice looking campaign with a potental, so I guess I should be flattered? Shrug

Thoughts?

PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2016, 01:58:58 PM »

Wow that is so crazy.. I guess Indiegogo should quality/scam check campaign before allowing them to launch. (A simple Google search would have been enough, right?) Anyway I'm glad it's solved and I don't think anyone will truly believe you had anything to do with it.

Twitter: @pbergmar
jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2016, 03:05:00 AM »

@PetterBergmar Well, in the meantime I realized it's for the best not to mention it at all anymore and leave it as one of those unpleasant internet things that just... happen!

If anybody is interested, we now have a Twitch channel, several days ago Jelena started drawing a scene that we hope to finish and make into a playable room available before our Kickstarter campaign ends. Here's the first part: https://www.twitch.tv/moonburntstudio/v/79420585

(Also, 9 more hours to have a recording of your voice in COLUMNAE)

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2016, 11:54:33 AM »

Greenlit on Steam! Smiley
(If anyone is interested in specific stats etc, feel free to ask)

Our Kickstarter is still active btw, you would do us a great favour if you would mention our game to friends who might like COLUMNAE.

jovan.vesic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2016, 10:27:09 AM »

Four more days until the end of our Kickstarter campaign!
Another (free) way to help COLUMNAE get made: tell one friend about our game and support our Thunderclap campaign.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic