Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:40:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMirage of Dragon
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Mirage of Dragon  (Read 6915 times)
SimonFelix
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2016, 01:58:52 AM »

Damn, I really love the art direction, great job!  Gentleman
I'm looking forward to seeing some gameplay.

darrenagar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2016, 04:37:32 AM »

Don't know what to say - it seems there is no interest in my work here or anywhere else on the internet, so here's some stuff I was working on this month with no comments

This seems to be the state of Gaming today, we're spoilt for choice, which is a good thing for games, bad for great Devs that are trying to get visibility amongst the mountain of toss. don't take it as indication that you're work isn't interesting. This looks immeasurably gorgeous! and the concept looks to be something quite unique, I for one am intrigued Smiley

It is quite sad that developers cannot simply spend our effort on making great games, getting eyes on it is where the battle really lies, as if making a game isn't consuming enough!?

just to re-iterate. your game has style, beauty and unique premise. Keep at it!   

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2016, 09:51:16 AM »

i'm really intrigued and interested by your project, and been following it since its creation.
you art is beautiful.

Maybe you should try making some gifs, as from the screenshots alone, it's a bit hard to understand the gameplay and that might be one of the reason you're not getting the attention your game deserves.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2016, 10:03:09 AM »

Echoing others above, the new art looks really lovely to me! I continue to very much enjoy the art-style. ^_^

As the poster just above suggests, gameplay GIFs may help to better convey the experience of playing your game--and thus perhaps generate more interest--than static images, however lovely.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »

SimonFelix, thanks! Toast Left I'll have a micro demo by the end of January, but as I said before I'll show it some time later - when I'll be sure it's getting close to its final state.

b∀ kkusa, thanks! Toast Left
Maybe you should try making some gifs, as from the screenshots alone, it's a bit hard to understand the gameplay and that might be one of the reason you're not getting the attention your game deserves.
MoD is only 2 months in development, so even these "screenshots" are in fact concept arts. My problem is I'm doing it in a wrong order. I like to start with the most challenging part and in case of this project it's the backgrounds - there are many and they are quite detailed Epileptic . Now I have all the environment concepts so January will be the "demo month" (even though I would prefer to continue working on the backgrounds and beat it for good Evil...).

darrenagar, thank you! Toast Left I agree with what you say - video game industry is tough and cruel. I always have a feeling of fighting a colossus and I hate this feeling... as a gamer I had silly but totally beautiful dreams about my career, community, the future of video games as a form of art. Now I just want to disappear from the internet, but I'm too deep in it to actually do this. Very sad to realize my dreams were crushed one by one.
(To express all these feelings I have started working on Mirage of Dragon. Its story is entirely symbolic.

Thaumaturge, thank you! Beer! I need to google on "how to make gifs" one of these days (honestly I don't know  Smiley ).

By the way, I have made a new logo - it's much more readable for sure:

Don't know if it's final, but I have a feeling I'm getting closer to the right mood Smiley

Also, I have started to make some preparations for the first demo, including the opening video (the one you'll see before title screen). Here's version 1 (not final):

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 11:18:27 AM »

I'm sorry to read that you've had so much trouble. :/

As to the new logo, I do think that it's much improved! ^_^ (It's actually legible now, for one. ;P)

I'm glad to read that we'll (hopefully) see a demo, and some gameplay footage, soon.

As to GIFs, the method that you use may depend somewhat on your platform, game-development tools, and perhaps other constraints. My own approach is perhaps a little over-complicated: I record using OBS, then use Blender as an editor, render out a video from that, and finally convert to GIF with FFmpeg, I believe.

The opening video is intriguing, and rather lovely, I think. If I may, it might be worth having a proof-reader look over your text--I think that I spotted a few grammatical issues.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 06:01:29 PM »

I record using OBS, then use Blender as an editor, render out a video from that, and finally convert to GIF with FFmpeg, I believe.
I'm using both OBS and Blender, so the one that's missing is FFmpeg. Never heard of it. Thanks for telling me - I'll try it.

If I may, it might be worth having a proof-reader look over your text--I think that I spotted a few grammatical issues.
Oh yes, my eastern-European English sucks Big Laff . I too think the text here is somehow wrong - I just don't know why.

The latest version is this:

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2016, 10:53:17 AM »

I'm using both OBS and Blender, so the one that's missing is FFmpeg. Never heard of it. Thanks for telling me - I'll try it.

Fair enough! ^_^

What operating system do you use? If you use Linux and decide to go with FFmpeg, I have a script that might make conversions a little easier; if not, it might be feasible to convert it to whatever scripting language your operating system uses, if any.

Oh yes, my eastern-European English sucks Big Laff . I too think the text here is somehow wrong - I just don't know why.

Fair enough!

One thing that might be worth watching out for is the tense in which you're writing--in the image that you've just posted, you seem to primarily be writing in the past tense, but occasionally use the present. Switching tense like this tends to read poorly, I believe (unless you have a particular reason for doing so, and do so well). For example, your first sentence starts off in the past tense ("At first I wasn't sure ..."), but ends in the present ("... what I see").

I imagine that the thing to do is to look for someone proficient in English, and who is willing to proofread for you. If a professional proofreader is infeasible, perhaps try looking for help in a writing forum, such as the TIGSource writing sub-forum, the TV Tropes "Writer's Block" sub-forum, or the "Absolute Write" forum.

Jux
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 28, 2016, 12:30:01 PM »

Artstyle is amazing.

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »

Artstyle is amazing.
Thanks! Beer!

What operating system do you use? If you use Linux and decide to go with FFmpeg, I have a script that might make conversions a little easier; if not, it might be feasible to convert it to whatever scripting language your operating system uses, if any.
I'm a Windows nazi  Cheesy.

One thing that might be worth watching out for is the tense in which you're writing--in the image that you've just posted, you seem to primarily be writing in the past tense, but occasionally use the present. Switching tense like this tends to read poorly, I believe (unless you have a particular reason for doing so, and do so well). For example, your first sentence starts off in the past tense ("At first I wasn't sure ..."), but ends in the present ("... what I see").
Never thought about it this way. Thanks for telling me Beer! - I'll keep it in mind.

I imagine that the thing to do is to look for someone proficient in English, and who is willing to proofread for you. If a professional proofreader is infeasible, perhaps try looking for help in a writing forum, such as the TIGSource writing sub-forum, the TV Tropes "Writer's Block" sub-forum, or the "Absolute Write" forum.
Yes, it would be best this way, but proofreading is a job, that should be paid. I don't think it's OK to just ask people to do it for free. Perhaps I just need to improve my own English - the knowledge I have now is very limiting. I know I can do better.

This 3rd month was all about coding, so I don't have a lot to show this time. Except for this screenshot with Shaitan (Arabian Satan):

As you can see the actual game looks the same way as the mock-ups I was posting earlier. + I added some particles, parallax scrolling and animation.

Other than the normal running and jumping, the character(s) can climb ladders, ledges and some walls Ninja Gaiden style (and in the end of course they will climb the giant Dragons (can't say how many yet)). May be I'll add ropes and wall jumping later. By default you can jump only once, but some objects on the walls allow you to do a double-jump (like a sculpture or a column - haven't decided yet).
I think I'm super close to my perfect platformer engine now. Smiley I'll dedicate the next month to the graphics again - this time the Dragons. After that I'll try to make an impressive demo with a trailer in 3 months. Sounds realistic but you never know... Epileptic      

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 04:36:37 PM by Ark » Logged

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 10:17:00 AM »

Good luck with your schedule, and I hope that the game progresses well! ^_^

I'm a Windows nazi  Cheesy.

Fair enough! Did you decide to go with FFmpeg, in the end?

Thanks for telling me Beer! - I'll keep it in mind.

My pleasure. ^_^

As to a proofreader, if you don't have money to spend on it, perhaps consider having another shot at crowdfunding--perhaps once you have that demo or trailer ready.

AS to improving your own English, the sites that I mentioned might be helpful there, too (whether simply via their discussions or via more direct means, such as feedback threads). In addition, there are of course other approaches, such as books, writer's clubs, and courses; there may even be other online resources, such as videos or online courses--I don't know. (And of course, I don't claim to know what will work best for you.)

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 05:22:42 PM »

Good luck with your schedule, and I hope that the game progresses well! ^_^
Thanks! Beer!

Fair enough! Did you decide to go with FFmpeg, in the end?
Since it's free I'll try it of course. Smiley

As to a proofreader, if you don't have money to spend on it, perhaps consider having another shot at crowdfunding--perhaps once you have that demo or trailer ready.
I have very negative feelings about starting a 5th crowdfunding campaign Addicted... One must be crazy to be that persistent. But yeah... I'm thinking about it Big Laff .

AS to improving your own English, the sites that I mentioned might be helpful there, too (whether simply via their discussions or via more direct means, such as feedback threads). In addition, there are of course other approaches, such as books, writer's clubs, and courses; there may even be other online resources, such as videos or online courses--I don't know. (And of course, I don't claim to know what will work best for you.)
Bookmarked the sites, found some others, prepared the textbooks - all set. I think I just need to improve my grammar. Shouldn't be hard.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 10:50:38 AM »

Since it's free I'll try it of course. Smiley

Fair enough. As I mentioned previously, I have a short shell-script that I use in producing gifs via FFmpeg. Hmm... It's been quite some time since I wrote a batch file (I primarily use Ubuntu these days), and I'm hesitant to attempt it now. I could post the shell-script version, which you might be able to translate into the language of your choice?

I have very negative feelings about starting a 5th crowdfunding campaign Addicted... One must be crazy to be that persistent. But yeah... I'm thinking about it Big Laff .

Hah, fair enough--I hadn't realised that you'd attempted crowdfunding more than once before, I believe!

Nevertheless, did you have gameplay to show off in any of those previous attempts? If not, it may make a difference.

Of course, if you'd simply prefer not to, then fair enough. ^_^

Bookmarked the sites, found some others, prepared the textbooks - all set. I think I just need to improve my grammar. Shouldn't be hard.

Good good--and good luck with that, too. I hope that it goes well and smoothly. ^_^

Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 11:53:30 AM »

Amazing art style.

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2017, 05:24:45 AM »

I could post the shell-script version, which you might be able to translate into the language of your choice?
I haven't installed the software yet, so it's hard for me to tell how it works and how I'm going to use it. But thanks in advance of course. Smiley

Nevertheless, did you have gameplay to show off in any of those previous attempts? If not, it may make a difference.
Of course, demo versions even. As a veteran of crowdfunding loosers I must tell that crowdfunding is probably the worst way of getting funding, unless you are an industry legend/have money to spend on professional PR/have real connections in the industry. Well, there is another way too, but it requires a tonne of time I don't have. It's all about the preparations and I'm already failing at this with MoD. So for me it's just impossible. But as I said I might try again anyway. Smiley

Good good--and good luck with that, too.
Thanks! Beer!

Amazing art style.
Doing my best. Thanks!  Beer!

Hand Point Right
Actively working as always. The least impressive visually, but the most important for me is the final plan (map) of the game I did on paper. (I'll add only several connecting rooms to it later.)

(the "yellowness" is a visual effect - the original is perfectly clean Big Laff )

I'm getting closer to the final version of the cover art (to me it's important to have one). I tried another dark version again, but I never liked it that much - still it's good enough to have it in the art book:

And this one is my final choice (I may improve it a little later):

A small room from Necropolis:

And as planned I have started to work on the dragons - the best looking so far is Dragon #3:

Next few days I'll be working on the final 12-screen size giant - this monster will be tough to make, but I absolutely need it.

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2017, 11:34:10 AM »

I'm glad to see that you're progressing, and I like the new cover-art. ^_^

I haven't installed the software yet, so it's hard for me to tell how it works and how I'm going to use it. But thanks in advance of course. Smiley

Fair enough, and my pleasure! ^_^

Of course, demo versions even. As a veteran of crowdfunding loosers I must tell that crowdfunding is probably the worst way of getting funding, unless you are an industry legend/have money to spend on professional PR/have real connections in the industry. Well, there is another way too, but it requires a tonne of time I don't have. It's all about the preparations and I'm already failing at this with MoD. So for me it's just impossible. But as I said I might try again anyway. Smiley

In all fairness, I'm pretty confident that I've seen other non-big-name devs find success in crowdfunding, so I'm very hesitant to discourage those who might want to try.

I am sorry to read that you've had so little success, however, especially given that you've had gameplay to show. :/

Ark
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »

In all fairness, I'm pretty confident that I've seen other non-big-name devs find success in crowdfunding, so I'm very hesitant to discourage those who might want to try.
I have seen them too - they spend money on PR + they spend a lot of time to prepare the campaign (that requires money too). First you fund your own campaign - then it may give you money back. For a one man team with no money to begin with - crowdfunding is a very bad idea. I'm thinking about a "fake campaign" with a goal like "100$". At least one of my campaigns will be successful Big Laff .

I am sorry to read that you've had so little success, however, especially given that you've had gameplay to show.
I made too many mistakes. It happens with almost everybody.

A small part of the Dragon #6 - still in progress. The platform is temporary of course.

I like this one - a Genie! 

Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2017, 10:57:34 AM »

I have seen them too - they spend money on PR + they spend a lot of time to prepare the campaign (that requires money too). First you fund your own campaign - then it may give you money back. For a one man team with no money to begin with - crowdfunding is a very bad idea.

I'm not sure that this is as universally true as you suggest.

For example, look at the recent Kickstarter campaign for NYKRA. To the best of my knowledge, it's the project of a solo developer, ENDESGA, and the campaign was successful. I reached out to the developer, and they reported (repeated here with permission), I believe, that they spent no money on publicity. Instead, they indicated that they "relied on good contacts and helpful people".

I do imagine that such campaigns are often time-consuming.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2017, 11:11:45 AM »

I have seen them too - they spend money on PR + they spend a lot of time to prepare the campaign (that requires money too). First you fund your own campaign - then it may give you money back. For a one man team with no money to begin with - crowdfunding is a very bad idea.

I'm not sure that this is as universally true as you suggest.

For example, look at the recent Kickstarter campaign for NYKRA. To the best of my knowledge, it's the project of a solo developer, ENDESGA, and the campaign was successful. I reached out to the developer, and they reported (repeated here with permission), I believe, that they spent no money on publicity. Instead, they indicated that they "relied on good contacts and helpful people".

I do imagine that such campaigns are often time-consuming.
i was following NYKRA kickstarter, and at then end of the campaign, it seemed unlikely to succeed and i honestly suspect some help from an angel investor or anything similar.
Also Endesga is really active on social medias, giving tutorials and so, so time alone is money.

The project here lacks a lot of social media investment and imo, a failed crowfunding gives a negative image to your product , how successful it is afterwards.
Thaumaturge
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2017, 10:45:03 AM »

i was following NYKRA kickstarter, and at then end of the campaign, it seemed unlikely to succeed and i honestly suspect some help from an angel investor or anything similar.

Not necessarily--I gather that it's not uncommon for crowdfunding campaigns (on Kickstarter, at least) to show noticeable spikes in donations at their ends and starts.

Indeed, looking at Kicktraq's data on the NYKRA campaign, I see a significant spike in the number of backers per day over the last few days.

Looking at the amount pledged per day, I note that the average pledge seems to have increased during this time, too. That said, given the increase in the number of backers, it's hard to say just how that was distributed (unless I'm missing some available data--or reach out to ENDESGA again, I suppose). Over the last three days, the average pledge appears to have been ~$205.6, ~$54.9, and ~$32.1; I note that the graphs just use the symbol "$", while the summary above uses "NZ$" (the currency used by the project, I believe), so I don't know which currency the graphs are working in (without sitting down and adding up the values given there, I suppose).

Also Endesga is really active on social medias, giving tutorials and so, so time alone is money.

The project here lacks a lot of social media investment and imo, a failed crowfunding gives a negative image to your product , how successful it is afterwards.

ENDESGA is does seem to be very active on social media, indeed. I hesitate to speculate on how that may have affected their success--I don't feel that I have enough knowledge there to speak with confidence.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic