Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 12:13:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMip Mapping: Yes or No?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mip Mapping: Yes or No?  (Read 1249 times)
Alpha Pink
Level 0

Jet Drift Studio

View Profile WWW
« on: June 12, 2015, 08:08:01 AM »

Hey folks!
 I'm currently working on a game with a friend, and I've encountered a bit of an issue with mip mapping(?) textures in unity.
without it, my textures tend to get stripey at long distances, but with it they get kind of mucky and dirty.

with:

Without:

(it's way worse in motion)

What do you guys think? Do you prefer one setting over the other? Are there ways to tweak the mip maps beyond the settings offered in unity? Should I just create textures with mip mapping in mind? What did you guys do in your projects?

thanks!
Sgt. Pepper
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2015, 08:19:43 AM »

Some players may like the stripy, non-mipmapped graphics, and some may hate it, so you could simply have an option to turn mipmapping on.
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 08:23:13 AM »

If that is going to be the resolution of the final textures then I'd say without. But if you're gonna have higher res textures then definitely mipmap the hell out of it.

Polly
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »

What level of anisotropic filtering are you using ( "Aniso Level" in Unity )?
Alpha Pink
Level 0

Jet Drift Studio

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 11:54:25 AM »

Some players may like the stripy, non-mipmapped graphics, and some may hate it, so you could simply have an option to turn mipmapping on.
That's a good idea. Is there a way to enable that in the editor?

If that is going to be the resolution of the final textures then I'd say without. But if you're gonna have higher res textures then definitely mipmap the hell out of it.
Those are final resolution textures. It does look better on some textures compared to others. Would it be a good idea to only have mipmapping on certain textures?

What level of anisotropic filtering are you using ( "Aniso Level" in Unity )?
I'm not sure, but anisotropic textures were forced on and AA was disabled in the quality settings in unity.

So far I think I'll leave them on and fool around with the settings. Thanks for the input folks!
Netsu
Level 10

proficient at just chillin'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 08:06:41 AM »

What is the resolution of those textures? If this is 1:1 scale pixelart then you could increase the resolution of the textures without changing the actual look. Just scale it 4x or whatever. Then mip mapping should produce much better results.

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 06:38:43 PM »

Maybe try reducing the contrast of the textures?  Shrug

BorisTheBrave
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 01:51:21 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with the mip mapped image.

But I note that your texture layout is pratically a textbook case for why Anisotropic filtering is needed, as you are looking very obliquely at those textures.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic