Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 18, 2024, 10:09:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionTankTank Rocket Fire [CANCELLED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: TankTank Rocket Fire [CANCELLED]  (Read 5975 times)
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2009, 12:10:32 AM »

I haven't had time to work on this for the last few weeks, and I won't any time soon. Sad
Here's the latest build:
http://www.boogatech.com/temp/demo.html

Arrow keys and spacebar to control tank.  Numberpad + and - to control camera zoom.

TankTank Rocket Fire
Control a tank and do stuff.  Why?  I haven't thought of that yet.  Also, the tank can fly.

Movement and aim is controlled by hovering the mouse over the control stick on the panel.  Weapons/abilities are activated by clicking the mouse button and changed through the mouse wheel.

I have no idea how far I'll get in this, as I've got midterms, homework, a freelance project that needs to be finished before I start on anything else, and a university animation program application portfolio deadline mere days after the end of this competition.

This will be done in Flash with the Box2D physics library.

Videos
2|28|09 -

Images
2|21|09 - Concept art

2|25|09 - Box2D Testing

3|4|09 - Level generator testing
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:18:53 PM by Markham » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 03:39:50 AM »

I love that sketch. "TANKTANKROCKET FIRE!"

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 04:53:39 AM »

Agreed, the sketches are awesome!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 10:50:08 PM »

And here we have the TANKTANK without the ROCKET FIRE:

I want this game to have Iji-style windows for the tank to smash through.  And, like, mobsters or something to be all like "Oh, crap!  It's a tank!"

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 11:35:30 PM »

I want to see commonplace shoplifters yelling, "What the heck? IT'S A GIANT TANK!"
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 01:35:31 AM »

Digging the concept art, mine is nowhere near that lively  Gentleman

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 02:26:19 AM »

it's delicious.

TANKTANKROCKETFIRE is the new COWABUNGA.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 04:44:55 PM »

I've started off by hacking apart the Flash Box2D "HelloWorld" demo.  The creation of the TANKTANK is a success: it interacts with things, it rolls, and the barrel doesn't cut through the chassis any more.

Currently, without any controls or an actual game, it's more like "TANKTANK AWKWARD FALLING."

I still have to attach the treads, though I want to just have them be an animated sprite when the wheels are rolling rather than waste processing on making an actual belt to go around the wheels.

I'm also starting to remember things like how I've never programmed a game in an object-oriented way.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 04:55:29 PM by Markham » Logged

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 12:34:20 AM »

This looks great! I love the art on the tank.

Also, I keep thinking the game should be called TANKTANK REVOLUTION.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 03:35:26 PM »

...but the moment you give tanks the ability to dance, it would have to be named MECHMECH REVOLUTION.  Durr...?

Behold:

!
Rocket propulsion still needs tweaking, but I'll save that for when the temporary keyboard controls get replaced by the mouse-driven controls.

Next up, removing the text objects and figuring out how to write a level generator that creates a vector-based ground object from an array of arrays of tile numbers.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 03:59:41 PM »

Haha, looks fum!
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 09:43:45 AM »

^ I agree, atm it looks a bit like "BalsaHeliumTankTank Fire!" rather than "BigHeavyBadassTankTank Fire!". I'd like a little more impetus and weight both of the tank and obstacles. Still lookin' like it will be incredibly much fun though Smiley

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 03:55:20 PM »

you know, what if the TANKTANK could move only using ROCKET FIRE?

wait, no that'd be stupid to have a tank that can't move.

maybe it could move pretty slowly?

ah well.

I have mooselike reflexes
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 10:55:22 PM »

Created a camera and tiled level system, as bland as the tiles and background currently are! Smiley

Next I'll implement the "cockpit" interface, and then I'll pretty much be forced to figure out where exactly I'm going with this before going any further.  I'm thinking something along the lines of some guy creates a remote-controlled flying tank, and some guy steals some of his stuff, and then some secret evil moon-base needs to get blown up or something.

Tank/rocket physics are far from complete, btw.  Currently it's a bit weird to control when firing the rocket.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 06:03:26 AM »

That's spooky. I made a prototype last month with a very similar movement mechanic. I thought it was unique until I just spotted this thread, and originally my game used a tank before I changed it halfway through. Check out my demo:

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4953.0

It's the one about half way down the the first post called Lunar Buggy. It might give you some ideas on balancing the flight mechanic. Anyhow yours is looking good so far.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 06:31:05 AM by Oddball » Logged

Günter
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »

I really like the way the tank looks. Almost clay-like, really.
Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2009, 07:19:03 PM »

I haven't had time to work on this for the last few weeks, and I won't any time soon. Sad
Here's the latest build:
http://www.boogatech.com/temp/demo.html

Arrow keys and spacebar to control tank.  Numberpad + and - to control camera zoom.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic