Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 12:13:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat are the base costs for releasing a WiiWare/XBLA/PSN game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What are the base costs for releasing a WiiWare/XBLA/PSN game?  (Read 1859 times)
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2009, 01:53:06 AM »

Many, many, many, maaaaaany blogs and articles talk about this, but very few mention actual money (I've only found one place so far, and they didn't cite their sources).

We're about to start this research, but I thought I'd pop in and ask if anyone had done this already, and would be willing to share what they've found?

Now, I'm not talking about middleware, but rather:

• Developer license and dev kit fees.
  • QA, testing and approval fees.

These are the two base costs, right? (And I know that the testing takes time, and thus may grow in size, but I want to know the base rates... price of admission, so to speak.)

Then there's the question of royalties... I haven't seen any figure for Nintendo/Sony, and I've only seen contradictory posts about wether the figure from Microsoft has doubled or not?

Also, when you do post figures or estimates, please cite your sources. Thank you!

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 04:27:24 AM »

To find out about Nintendo's rule and fees and whatnot, you can visit this site, which I believe is the official place to go.

Nintendo makes things a bit complicated when choosing prospective developers, it would seem, at least to me.

Aside from that source, I'm sorry I can't really contribute much else.

Currently brainstorming for a project
ShawnF
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 10:35:58 AM »

Copied & pasted from a post on the indiegamer.com forums.  Info is a bit old, but hopefully still accurate:

===============
To release a game on 360 live arcade will cost you:

* About 8 grand for a devkit and all the trimmings
* 16 grand for a pass through their testing/submission system
* You'll need a proper office - I tried having a kit delivered to home over the xmas holidays and it wasn't happening.
* Whatever it costs you to write the same game on a pc plus a month or two of TRC compliance and general integration stuff.

Figures are in USD. Hope this helps.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 11:13:31 PM »

That sounds incredibly cheap.

I asked in #xna the other day, and they said 100k.

So imo, I'm still at square one since nobody can tell me where they got their numbers from.

I guess I will have to get on the phone with Microsoft corporate, but I bet it won't be as easy as just calling them to get the numbers.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic