Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:13:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionCogito Machina
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Cogito Machina  (Read 17152 times)
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2009, 04:19:36 AM »

Just a template for what I'm trying to sprite at the moment, for this.

Ideas follow:
  • A mech semi-FPS. Capable to be done in 2D.
  • Meant to be played with a mouse, but should be able to be played with the keyboard alone.
  • Ability to see and shoot behind you, via an additional 'rear-view mirror' screen.
  • May be a boss battle gauntlet instead of having minor enemies/mid-bosses leading up to a major boss; if time does not suffice, may incorporate only one boss.
  • Small plot to go along with it- ending changes depending on performance of player.
  • Impossible to obtain a game-over, but better performance is rewarded.
  • Melee + Shooting + Grappling?
  • Two-player mode? Co-op? Versus?
  • Inspiration from Battle Clash / Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge.

If anyone's interested in helping me out, it'd be appreciated. In the meantime, I'll just make sprites.

Currently brainstorming for a project
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:52:37 AM »

Getting somewhere, but I'm too sleep deprived to keep my eyes open at the moment. I still need to finish the cockpit itself, and then sprite both the mech's arms and all the poses the pilot herself can take... hrmh.

P.S.- Does anybody need a

to the

I'm being inspired by? (Warning: Second link may be an annoyingly voiced Let's Play. Alternative.)

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 03:01:35 PM »

P.S.- Does anybody need a

to the

I'm being inspired by? (Warning: Second link may be an annoyingly voiced Let's Play. Alternative.)
Has there ever been a Let's Play video that isn't annoyingly-voiced? Because I haven't seen one!

Nice mockup so far, anyway!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 11:27:07 PM »

I just tried my hand at coding and realized I haven't the foggiest how to program this game. I'd need a tutor and the entirety of tomorrow (with food, if possible) to figure it out, at least as far as C++ w/ SDL goes.

And I keep modifying the templates instead of making ACTUAL sprites.

Maybe I should make the boss/one of the bosses/a RANDOM ENEMY/something that I can shoot at to relief my frustration/puppies/something for the other side of the cockpit.

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:51:46 AM »

Alright, NOW my template is done.

The game's entirety will take place within the cockpit of a giant mech. Those green/yellow/pink things are screens with which the pilot will receive communications, look outside, and notice whether she is being attacked from behind or not. I plan to implement a dual screen type thing soon, but I want to finish spriting her back first.

Again, this is JUST a template- though it looks pretty spiffy all neon-y like that. I could keep it that way if I wanted, but I'd rather flex my spriting muscles (since it's all I can do until someone tries to lecture me in the finesse of actually implementing what I want to do).

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 06:02:43 AM »

Getting somewhere, maybe... Definitely getting sleepy. Tired

Man, I don't like that robot arm at all.

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 08:30:54 AM »

This game has my juices going Smiley Nice concept, and I'm really curious about how you're going to solve the wide/360 degrees view!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »

Man, I don't like that robot arm at all.

i like the robot arm Shrug is nice, yes?
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 08:53:59 AM »

This game has my juices going Smiley Nice concept, and I'm really curious about how you're going to solve the wide/360 degrees view!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 09:00:11 AM »

I love the art! Fantastic!
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 09:20:33 AM »

I love the art! Fantastic!

The concept art, or the impromptu-template-slowly-turning-into-actual-sprites art? Either way... Embarrassed Thanks!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:47:34 AM »

Erm, mostly the concept art. The other art is great, too! Especially the dragon!

Maybe you could just make the sketches INTO the art style of the game? Like, convert them to the actual graphics? Because, frankly, I love the style.
genericuser
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 10:52:12 AM »

I wouldn't mind that art style either; it kinda reminds me of Another World:

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 11:01:13 AM »

Egads, I'm slightly torn on where to go now.

a) I'm still missing a programmer.
b) I'm now worried that for showing people my templates, they'll expect my game to look decidedly more retro (or flat shaded) than I meant to. Also, now I kind of want to use sketches instead.

Drat.

I think I'll sleep this self-sabotage off. Hopefully my mental mind-rays will fish me a coder.

professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2009, 11:03:08 AM »

Egads, I'm slightly torn on where to go now.

a) I'm still missing a programmer.
b) I'm now worried that for showing people my templates, they'll expect my game to look decidedly more retro (or flat shaded) than I meant to. Also, now I kind of want to use sketches instead.

Drat.

I think I'll sleep this self-sabotage off. Hopefully my mental mind-rays will fish me a coder.

i code...but have never done 3d and am too scared to try (in gm WTF)
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 11:14:02 AM »

prof: Battle Clash and Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge aren't 3D- I don't know how to code in 3D and would not even consider doing something I'm sure I can't do on my computer (such as running 3D modeling software).

The idea was to make the game a 2D first person game- sort of an on-rails experience like Lethal Enforcer or Sunset Riders or whatnot.

Sadly, my only experience with coding was a short platforming thing I tried to do for the CPB compo, but never released even a demo of it due to self-discouragement. Shrug

I IMAGINE I could do something with that knowledge- replacing the player character with a cross hair, but then the cross hair would be controlled with the arrow keys and I wouldn't know where to go from there, I think.

Are you... offering? Well, hello there!

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 02:09:42 PM »

As I offered in the cooperation thread, I can help with 3D (theory, design, OGRE, Irrlich, OpenGL, Direct3D, whatever). But only by assisting, I won't have time for being official programmer or something to that effect, I already have too many projects going and other stuff occupying my time.

Nonetheless, bloody hell, forget 3D models, draw some more on paper, scan it, paste it on billboards in the game and you'll have a bleedin' awesome art style going for you! The best of 2D and 3D combined!

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2009, 02:15:27 PM »

As I offered in the cooperation thread, I can help with 3D (theory, design, OGRE, Irrlich, OpenGL, Direct3D, whatever). But only by assisting, I won't have time for being official programmer or something to that effect, I already have too many projects going and other stuff occupying my time.

Nonetheless, bloody hell, forget 3D models, draw some more on paper, scan it, paste it on billboards in the game and you'll have a bleedin' awesome art style going for you! The best of 2D and 3D combined!

i was starting raycasting in gm Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right  i'm not new to c/++ but i am new to those api's.
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2009, 02:25:52 PM »

it doesn't really matter, Metal Combat is a strictly 2D game.
It's a HUD, an enemy robot on the screen, a scrolling background, and mouse input.

I'd offer to do it but right now my mingw install is broken and the installer refuses to work either. though I might be able to throw up a prototype in GM I suppose, or not use c/++.

professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2009, 02:32:17 PM »

it doesn't really matter, Metal Combat is a strictly 2D game.
It's a HUD, an enemy robot on the screen, a scrolling background, and mouse input.

the line "i was starting raycasting in gm" was indicative Wink
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic