Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 18, 2024, 04:55:01 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsHow to start 3d modelling?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: How to start 3d modelling?  (Read 1167 times)
SkyStrider
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2015, 05:36:22 PM »

So I downloaded Wings3D and figured out the UI, and all the tools, so that isn't the issue, it's more like how does one go about creating a model?  Embarrassed I've heard the term "Block Out" used pretty often, but I don't really understand what it means. I suppose you have to start with a primitive and go from there? I'm super confused on this. If anyone could link to a tutorial on basic modelling theory or something that would be amazing! Thanks for your time.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 06:11:04 PM »

I have to say, I was one of the biggest fans of Wings in the world.  I loved winged edge modelling suites, going back to Nichimin n-worlds, the app that ultimately inspired Wings.   The said...  Wings3D is a dead end.  Development ended and it's really starting to show... 

If you want to learn 3D modelling, without a budget, consider giving Blender a shot instead.  The interface isn't as daunting as people make it out to be, with BMesh being added, the worflow is similar to what Wings was like ( superior now actually ).  Plus, I have an end to end tutorial for you if you are willing to dedicate an afternoon to it.

You aren't going to find many tutorials, at least not current ones, as Wings has basically been dead and abandoned for over 2 years.  If you want a similar feeling/simplified experience, try sketchup instead.
SkyStrider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 07:35:05 PM »

Thanks for the quick reply! I didn't realize that wings wasn't being updated anymore, that's really all the reason I need to bite the bullet and try blender. I'll check out that tutorial aswell, thanks for the help I really appreciate it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic