Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 06:49:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSteg and Rex - a two player, one keyboard arcade game!
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Steg and Rex - a two player, one keyboard arcade game!  (Read 11395 times)
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2015, 08:25:37 PM »

UPDATE: The game is officially out on itch.io! Thank you for everyones support and feedback. You can get the game HERE!

Hey everyone!

I thought I'd start a devlog for an upcoming game I'm working on called Steg and Rex! I'm hoping to create a cute, fun and fast paced local multiplayer game where you and a friend share a keyboard, battling it out to steal each others eggs before time runs down!

Steg and Rex started as an idea I had a couple of months back, but with recent, super positive feedback on one of the character concepts, I've decided to pursue it as it's own project. I'm hoping for a quick turnaround on development time, so trying to release next week sometime.

Here's some early material (the look of the game won't change really, so hope you like it!):

Early gameplay.

Concept which was well received.

Characters.

Original concept for a laugh!

I'll keep this devlog updated as I progress. I'm looking to release on itcho.io as a Windows game and if enough people want it, may look into Linux... Follow me on TWITTER for frequent updates and pixel art as well, or hop onto my WEBSITE for my blog and other games!

Thanks all, and don't hesitate to ask any questions! I look forward to sharing Steg and Rex Smiley
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 02:43:23 PM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:40:41 PM »

Cute and funny characters :D, looking forward to play the demo
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 08:46:23 PM by indie11 » Logged

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 04:30:00 AM »

Really lovely pixels! Look forward to seeing more gameplay.

Sir Fishelsworth
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 05:08:16 AM »

Cute sprites! You cram a lot of personality in there. Two players with one keyboard is always fun, so I look forward to trying it out!
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 03:09:11 PM »

Thanks guys!

Just an update for today; some more footage!

Autumn leaves falling.

Stunned effects - helps identify stun state.

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 01:26:34 AM »

Got another update for everyone! Been testing level design. I want the levels to feel familiar but have a slightly different element that can effect gameplay as well. Here's some passes showing different ways of maneuvering the map (I'm sure players can get more creative though)!

Summer level/map.

Autumn level/map.

Winter level/map.

As you can see, you can run, jump, and attack your way around the levels. I've balanced everything by a stamina system that will slow the player down after using these moves (jumping and attacking) and having a cool down on the attacking. I've been extensively testing the comparable speeds of getting from one side to the other by using these different techniques, just to get it feeling super smooth and fair for the players. Given the competitiveness of the game's nature, it needs to remained balanced at all times!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:34:02 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Fenrir
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 01:56:58 AM »

I love it, good games with dinosaurs are so rare! Smiley
Is it normal that you can leave the screen or is it just for debugging?

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 02:54:15 AM »

Thanks Fenrir!

Are you referring to the vertical movement? You'll be able to fall out of the bottom and appear on the top in that particular stage. That's supposed to be there - adds another angle of attack! If people don't like it though, it can be removed Smiley

As for horizontal movement; the GIFs aren't showing the whole screen. It's a single screen, arena game, so you won't be able to leave the view except for the split second mentioned above! Right now I've got some debug text and a soon-to-be functioning timer being displayed, hence the cropped GIFs. Also helps keep the size of the GIF down by not capturing the entire screen/window!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:05:14 PM »

Added some dust cloud effects from the dinos running! Also a screenshot of the whole play area (WIP obviously).

Hope everyone's having a good weekend!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:34:18 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2015, 03:05:54 AM »

Screenshot Saturday continued! I've implemented the egg stealing mechanic - need a little tweaking and doesn't impact the score or game outcome quite yet, but it's getting there! Been way too busy over these past few days... I need a rest, haha.

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »

So the egg stealing mechanic is pretty much finished! There's still no win condition, but the egg count and displays work and you can take eggs back and forward (and lose them in attacks) now. Definitely been one of the most laborious parts of this development (other than perfecting movement).

Steg stealing eggs.

Rex stealing eggs.

Rex bringing egg back.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:35:01 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2015, 01:14:33 AM »

Looks fun Smiley
I understand there is one nest for each Steg and Rex, right? But do you move same eggs from one to another (same amount of eggs all the time), or by moving enemies eggs you remove it from the game (and one with no eggs looses)?

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2015, 01:57:37 AM »

Thanks Patomkin! Here's some detail of the gameplay:

So it'll be more obvious if I capture some fullscreen footage and not these teaser crops Tongue but it's the former! So there's a set number of eggs in play (at the moment it's four each, eight total), and you take each other's to add more to your own pile. You can also hold onto an egg to keep it off the scoreboard. As soon as your opponent successfully attacks you, the egg you were holding teleports back into the opponents nest. To get ahead, you need to take risks while holding an egg, otherwise the game would potentially remain as a stalemate (just moving eggs back and forward at the same rate)!

For example, if you're both returning an egg to your base and you successfully attack your opponent, their egg returns to your nest and you gain an additional one from the egg you were also carrying back! I'm hoping this promotes different tactical approaches and if you're sitting on the majority of eggs, forces players into offensive and defensive roles, etc.

When the timer hits zero, whichever nest holds the most eggs wins!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Patomkin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2015, 12:59:09 PM »

Okay, I see. Can I throw eggs to pick them up later? This can confuse enemy and give you more choices for what egg to collect Tongue

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2015, 07:11:43 PM »

Oh I like that idea! There's no plans of implementing that feature however, sorry Sad

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 10:42:02 PM »

When the game ends do all of the eggs hatch into baby dinosaurs who jump about?

skaz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 01:33:05 AM »

Looks lovely!

LOST FORTRESS site! 2d action adventure exploration in an abandoned Dwarf fortress, overrun by weird slug-like creatures.
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 02:22:21 AM »

When the game ends do all of the eggs hatch into baby dinosaurs who jump about?

That's actually an awesome idea! I'd have to do more animation but I might look into doing this Tongue

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
123dan123
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 03:54:17 AM »

This looks like it would be fun to play! Nice art style and animation. Smiley
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 04:17:14 AM by 123dan123 » Logged
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2015, 03:00:59 PM »

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

@JctWood: I've considered your idea and have come up with these adorable things!

Rex and baby.

Steg and baby.

Hope you like them!

As for a development update - it's all a bit boring right now; working on victory states/management, menus, etc. I'm still working hard but it's not exciting enough to put images/GIFs up for (though I will once these aspects are polished)!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:34:37 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic