Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 01:32:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSteg and Rex - a two player, one keyboard arcade game!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Steg and Rex - a two player, one keyboard arcade game!  (Read 11398 times)
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 03:42:53 PM »

Like your art! Now finish a game! Tongue

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2015, 04:21:08 PM »

Haha, I'm doing my best! Thanks!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »

A boring update today, but well need development! I've just started working on a main menu:

Old menu.

EDIT: Updated menu!

New menu.

I don't know if this is the best way of achieving this, but I've used arrays and case statements to select the menu/sub menu index and draw to screen!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:35:19 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2015, 03:29:02 PM »

Hey everyone!

Still working hard on Steg and Rex! I've got a logo/title that I'll be using in the game now; hope you like it!

UPDATE: Here it is in-game! This is pretty much the final look of my main menu.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:32:56 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2015, 09:04:30 PM »

im supposed to be a man, but im just going to quietly squee in the corner of my room at how adorable that art is, and then hide my face in shame.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2015, 12:04:01 AM »

Don't be embarrassed, the dinos are super manly... Honest!

Got another update as well. I've still been finishing off the menu system so here is what it will look like (cropped) in-game as well as the 'How-to-play' screen! Notice the automatic button hints in the menu? I spent way too long doing that so you all better appreciate them, haha!

Final menu.

How to Play screen.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:32:20 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2015, 12:09:25 AM »

You should put the nests behind steg&rex and connect the horizon line. I guess it's pretty obvious that you have to steal the eggs of the other player. Smiley
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2015, 01:52:38 AM »

Those baby Steg and Rexs are adorable!!!!!! I cannot wait to begin playing this. Would be cool to see character select further down the line but I guess that is extra stuff once the game is working. I tried to look back and work out what you are building the game in but couldn't see mention of it?

Also quick image tip: [IMG width=700] will ensure any images fit within the forum page!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:20:55 AM by JctWood » Logged

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2015, 01:30:20 PM »

Thanks for the feedback guys! Also thanks for the image width tip JctWood, I need that!

Character select with more dinos is definitely something I want to add in the future, but reserve it for more of the extended edition. I'm keeping the game now quite small in scope as I want to release it sooner. I do want to charge like $2 or something for it (because I'm a starving artist, haha!), but it will be my first paid game so I'm nervous about that.

I'll likely put it on greenlight soon after release and that will be the extended edition with more maps, controller support, more dinos, possibly power ups - all stuff that I didn't really envision in the game so have left it out, but stuff that I think might be better for the Steam market!

Also I'm developing this in Gamemaker: Studio using GML. All assets (art, sfx, music, fonts, etc) are done by myself!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:22:43 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »

Well I really look forward to seeing it on itch.io, hopefully if I'm not starving myself I'll pick it up!

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2015, 01:31:45 AM »

Thanks again JctWood!

Got another update for everyone. More menu polish... Trust me, you're not as over it as I am, haha! Also changed up the how-to for Steg a little so it looks cleaner.

Menu polish.

Steg how-to.

In addition to the menu look, those toggleable options also write their respective settings to disk now (saves them) for next time you boot the game! The windowed option is for toggling fullscreen. On top of that, I've implemented the map cycling mechanic if you select to play all, otherwise the victory screen returns you to the menu. Speaking of victory screens, here's the little hatchlings running around!

The game is pretty much complete now, just need sound effects and music (the whole audio side). I was going to release this week but I'm going to give myself a few days after completion just to be sure there's no little bugs before doing so, therefore I'm looking at early next week hopefully!

In other news, I'm very tired... hahaha!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 01:41:29 AM by jmakegames » Logged

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2015, 05:59:04 AM »

Speaking of victory screens, here's the little hatchlings running around!

I hope the winner can control his dino in the winning screen?

Looking dang nice, can't wait!

- - - -
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2015, 06:05:52 AM »

Looks like a very cute game, always interested to try out games with "shared controls". I'll get it later when you make it available. Smiley

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2015, 11:45:18 AM »

The hatchlings are so adorable!!!!!!!!!

jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2015, 12:09:15 PM »

At this moment you can't, but if you guys think that's a cool little feature I'll add it in today!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2015, 07:54:59 AM »

At this moment you can't, but if you guys think that's a cool little feature I'll add it in today!

I'd find it fitting since the hatchlings move anyhow :3

- - - -
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »

I agree, I'll add it in tomorrow! Had the weekend off (I needed a rest) so back to development to start off the week!

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2015, 02:23:05 AM »

I've been working on some simple, 8bit style sound effects for the game today - need to move onto music, then the game will be ready to put through some testing for release! I also added the mechanic that now allows the player to still control their dino in the victory screen:

I have no idea how to approach writing the music for Steg and Rex quite yet, so I'm hoping I feel inspired over the next couple of days! Something simple that will just compliment the gameplay.

Hope everyone had a good weekend! I had a well needed rest Smiley

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2015, 03:54:30 AM »

Now the hatchlings have to follow the player, by increasing the chance to move towards the player, for example. Really cute! Smiley
jmakegames
Level 1

Jordan @ j make

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2015, 12:09:52 PM »

Ok ok! I'm never gonna finish the game at this rate! Tongue

Jordan @ j make

TWITTER | BLOG
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic