Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:11:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionHard Aether [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Author Topic: Hard Aether [FINISHED]  (Read 80685 times)
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2009, 02:09:01 AM »

I still can't run this. I made sure I had the vcredist thing installed first. The game opens a console, whirrs for a little while, and then I get a windows message box "The procedure entry point _except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: April 16, 2009, 01:15:56 AM »

I have the same problem on my XP box, will try Vista again later.
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 16, 2009, 05:49:09 AM »

same thing for me,still can't run it, same error as you .

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: April 16, 2009, 07:45:19 AM »

Will, you've usually gotten it to run, so now I'm particularly concerned.

I will try to make a build on my work machine (WinXP) today during lunch and publish a new build. I might have the time to merge a few engine improvements in as well.

edit: Posted. Please try it out!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:42:07 AM by nihilocrat » Logged

Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 16, 2009, 04:55:08 PM »

Yay, new version works! I played up to wave 4 I think, then my desire to eyeball a target got in the way of shooting down missiles and I died.

I like it a lot, but I think now that you've got all the gameplay in, the flight controls need to be less painful. It's OK not to display target arrows, but the constant angular drift makes it very hard to make any kind of course correction with the mouse yoke. I'd suggest recentering the yoke smoothly but quickly as soon as you switch back to pointer mode, and maybe doing the same thing if the mouse stays still for a short while in yoke mode.

The target missile button is very helpful, you could have been cruel and forced people to switch contact filters to achieve this Smiley
Turgid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 17, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »

Very, very cool game, I love the concept. I was frustrated at first because there are no instructions, but managed to figure out what all the buttons did easily, and made it to wave 3 after a couple tries. You mentioned you could move the ship, so after clicking everywhere on the cockpit in vain to find the controls, I broke down and read the thread. Someone mentioned WASD, and a little experimenting let me find Z and X as well. Trying to orient the ship is a pain, though, and it doesn't seem necessary anyway. Since the missles home in, there doesn't seem much point in aiming.

You said there's some way to switch to mouse control, but I have yet to discover it. Including at least a list of controls would have let me skip the frustration and get right to the awesome gameplay. I think the true challenge comes from trying to keep track of what's happening based on very limited information and trying to master the very limited controls; the lack of instructions only hides this behind the artificial difficulty of finding the controls in the first place. I wouldn't mind reading a manual if I could find one!

Still, that real challenge underneath the frustration made me come back and read through the thread and keep trying. Once you know how to play, it's an awesome juggling act of keeping track of target distances, which targets you've fired on yet, and switching between offense and defense. If it weren't for the game-end bugs I'd be playing this non-stop. Unfortunately as of the latest (1.2), it still crashes after trying to start a second game from the main menu. There's also a minor bug where pressing escape at the game over screen closes the program; I assume this is because the key press gets repeated at the main menu if I don't tap the key too slowly. Not that I can start a new game anyway, but if you fix the one it would be nice to fix the other.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »

Very, very cool game, I love the concept. I was frustrated at first because there are no instructions

First of all, thanks a ton! I'm amazed people have had so much fun with it.

Second of all, the instructions are in a file called "sbc-409a_manual", but it seems to be missing from the latest build. I blame the fact that I made the build at work so I probably just overlooked that. There are very simple ways to automatically include those files as part of the build process, and after all these mishaps I'm actually going to go ahead and add the necessary commands to the build script.

You can get the manual here:

You can switch modes with the middle mouse button. The fact that there are three active buttons on the mouse is because I sort of wanted the game to be mouse-only, but I kept the WASD controls because piloting with the mouse is currently a hassle, even more than manual rotation is.

Still, that real challenge underneath the frustration made me come back and read through the thread and keep trying. Once you know how to play, it's an awesome juggling act of keeping track of target distances, which targets you've fired on yet, and switching between offense and defense. If it weren't for the game-end bugs I'd be playing this non-stop. Unfortunately as of the latest (1.2), it still crashes after trying to start a second game from the main menu. There's also a minor bug where pressing escape at the game over screen closes the program; I assume this is because the key press gets repeated at the main menu if I don't tap the key too slowly. Not that I can start a new game anyway, but if you fix the one it would be nice to fix the other.  Hand Thumbs Up Left

I didn't know anyone would actually like the juggling act it turned out to be! It ends up being sort of pointless to turn, I think in a future version I'll try to put in code that will force you to point at the target to achieve a missile lock.

The bug has to do with the engine not being able to properly clean up after itself when ending the game scene. I thought my "engine improvements" would solve this, because in my other game using the same engine it seems to work pretty well, but there's something else afoot, and it will be hard to figure out because I just get a crash and no error message.

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2009, 09:53:25 AM »

Okay, I updated my drivers and now version 1.2 works. I had been using the Omega version of catalyst 7.11 Durr...?. From reading some forum posts, it sounds like ATI went through a patch where their drivers had some problems with opengl.

Incidentally I also tried this at work today, where it ran, but only after it made me update my version of directx. It seemed like the startup process for ogre wanted it.

nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: April 24, 2009, 11:14:58 AM »

Okay, I updated my drivers and now version 1.2 works. I had been using the Omega version of catalyst 7.11 Durr...?. From reading some forum posts, it sounds like ATI went through a patch where their drivers had some problems with opengl.

Incidentally I also tried this at work today, where it ran, but only after it made me update my version of directx. It seemed like the startup process for ogre wanted it.

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
I'll include "make sure your video drivers and, just in case, your DirectX drivers are all up to date" in the original post.

update:
Yeah, in a related case I just tried running it on a another machine, and it complained about not being able to link to some direct3d DLL. You can either update directx, or just tell OGRE to not load D3D at all, since it's configured to use the opengl renderer anyways.

If you can't be motivated to update directx, you can edit 'plugins.cfg.nt' and comment-out the line loading the D3D-related dll.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 01:10:42 PM by nihilocrat » Logged

gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: August 16, 2009, 10:20:49 AM »

Man I just played this and I must say, pretty badass. Good job nihilocrat !  Coffee

On a side note, i've been doing development with PyOpenGL lately.. HOLY CHRIST is it slow for doing individual glColor and glVertex calls... PyOpenGL 2 may have been faster, but damn version 3 is painful.

The rendering seems quite speedy with this Python Ogre in comparison; I think i'll check that out instead.

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: August 23, 2009, 11:52:40 AM »

Thanks for the compliment!

Yes, PyOpenGL is quite a bit slower, particularly if you use immediate mode (call glVertex and such manually) instead of using VBOs.

The only issue I've had with Python-Ogre is that it's been really hit-or-miss in terms of getting it to run on other peoples' systems. If I can find the time I should probably try testing my games on a clean install of WinXP with nothing other than the VC redistributable and my game.

spillblood
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 05, 2011, 08:55:17 AM »

Could you post this again? Can't find it anywhere else, the links don't work, and I wanna try it. I like spacegames like I-War, Frontier Elite 2 which have Newtonian Physics, so I have to try this out. By the way, I think Her Majesty's Royal Space Armada will be awesome. When it's polished enough I would be eager to spend money on it.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 09:05:09 AM by spillblood » Logged
nihilocrat
Level 10

Full of stars.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2011, 10:16:15 PM »

Hey, thanks for the praise, I will try to remember to dig up a build and post it someplace, haven't got the time to do it this minute. Please feel free to email me about it.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic