Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411196 Posts in 69314 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: feakk

March 19, 2024, 02:35:26 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionMorrison's Edge
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Morrison's Edge  (Read 13976 times)
snowymonkey
Level 0

Oo oo aa aa

View Profile WWW
« on: February 21, 2009, 08:43:17 AM »

Morrison's Edge is a combination of Mirror's Edge (objectives highlighted red), Supermarket Sweep (collect objects in a certain time) and Burnout Paradise (you're driving....  a shopping trolley).

Think of a supermarket modelled in Sketchup - a rather monotone, flat shaded environment.  You have to collect a certain number of objects in the shortest possible time.  These objects are brightly highlighted in red.  You're pushing your shopping trolley around as quickly as possible, taking care to avoid penalties.

That's as far as I've got, will update with more as I can.  Beer!

Major updates will be posted here, details and other monkey business will be blogged about...

So far nothing much to report, other than I've created a trolley in Sketchup and imported it into the game.  Still creating framework code for data defining in Lua and shifting over a component model I build but never really used for a different project.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 07:36:03 AM by snowymonkey » Logged

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 09:29:55 AM »

Sounds nice. The cockpit is the trolley? But when you push a trolley, you aren't inside it, amiright? :D

snowymonkey
Level 0

Oo oo aa aa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 11:08:31 AM »

Sounds nice. The cockpit is the trolley? But when you push a trolley, you aren't inside it, amiright? :D

Hey, that sounds like a pretty cool idea....  In Mirror's Edge, if you build speed, you can slide over obstacles.  Maybe in this game you can jump onto/into the trolley and skate along for bonus style points.  Of course, you may lose control....

Hempuli‽
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 12:27:48 PM »

Hey, that sounds like a pretty cool idea....  In Mirror's Edge, if you build speed, you can slide over obstacles.  Maybe in this game you can jump onto/into the trolley and skate along for bonus style points.  Of course, you may lose control....

Cool idea!

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 12:44:14 PM »

When you go around corners too fast, the trolley should fall over.

Also, you need random old people who complain at you when you slide past Tongue

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:06:28 PM »

Fantastic title! This already sounds like a lot of fun. And anything that combines Mirror's Edge with Supermarket Sweep and Burnout is a winner in my book.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 05:10:24 PM »

I loved that game show when I was little. Fantastic idea!
TooMuchSpareTime
Level 3

Came for the VGNG comp, stayed for the other stuff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 05:25:36 PM »

You had me at "shopping trolley".
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 01:17:01 AM »

ok now seriously i wish someone had told me this earlier

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 01:35:42 AM »

ok now seriously i wish someone had told me this earlier

Shopping Trolley Paddle Oar X-Wing System, go!

Currently brainstorming for a project
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 08:58:28 AM »

Some cool pics I made based on your idea, just for fun!

Side View.

Front View.

Frugal Mode.
(Blue flame is TURBODRIVE, and Red Heart is HEALTH.)

Angry Mode.

genericuser
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:11 AM »

Pleasepleasepleaaase take the Burnout idea a bit further.

Shopping cart takedowns would rock.  Hand Metal Left Evil Hand Metal Right
snowymonkey
Level 0

Oo oo aa aa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2009, 04:59:52 PM »

Inanimate, thanks for the pics - I'll bear them in mind when creating my megastore.

Genericuser, I hadn't thought of taking it in that direction - could be fun knocking over your opponent and seeing their cart spill its goods/guts everywhere.

Anyway, got a little bit of work done on the game today.  Nothing much to see of the actual game, but I did model my first piece of supermarket furniture - a JH-M27 supermarket shelf!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2009, 05:05:41 PM »

Aw, thanks for liking my stupid scribbles! Just a stupid fun I wanted to share.  Smiley
snowymonkey
Level 0

Oo oo aa aa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 12:58:18 AM »

I've been a bit quiet of late, but still been working on the framework for the game.  Still no cockpit or game yet... Smiley  But I've got an empty, grey Communist-style supermarket to fly through:

Lately, I've been working on getting kahlua integrated to allow the definition of scenes in lua files, porting over a component model from an old (unfinished, of course!) project, and playing around with Sketchup.

The plan is to have an engine that can load all data via lua files and effectively work as a player.  This compo is a good motivator!

Thorero
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2009, 05:29:54 AM »

This looks very interesting so far. I'm also amazed to see SketchUp Models being used in a game. I've worked with SketchUp for years, and am glad to see people starting the use it for this.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2009, 02:00:23 PM »

I was looking into using SketchUp lately, but I heard it sucks with ATI cards (Which I'm beginning to regret getting, especially with their latest drivers unceremoniously breaking Aquaria and forcing me to do the annoying and possibly computer-breaking process of downgrading Angry)

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
pgil
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2009, 03:18:10 PM »

Mondo Grocery?
This is a really cool idea. Can't wait to play  Hand Thumbs Up Left Tiger Hand Thumbs Up Right

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 01:01:29 PM »

Mondo Grocery?
Hand Shake Left :D Hand Shake Right

genericuser
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 01:40:01 AM »

"GROCERY IS A SMALL PIECE OF FOOD THAT SLOWLY TAKES OVER A STOMACH!"

"YOU AND YOUR WALLET, HOW MANY GROCERIES HAVE THEY BOUGHT?"

"I don't know what a groceries is. Is a groceries worth many money? I can see a groceries, but where is it really? And by what is it made of?"
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic