Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:36:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingLinko-D
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Linko-D  (Read 1251 times)
NazTaiL
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2015, 05:45:44 PM »

This is Linko-D. My first HTML5 game. It was made to test the possibilities of the HTML5 export module
of Game Maker: Studio and learn some database features. (MySQL and PHP)

PLAY-> http://www.naztail.com/htmlgames/Linko-D/index.html

Other games: http://www.naztail.com/games.html
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2015, 06:03:18 PM »

That really, really low-res texture that you use for the sides of the menu and for the game's background is pretty ugly. Why is it so low-res compared to everything else?

Anyway, the game itself works fine. I found it weird that it claimed I had to solve each puzzle "in time" but there didn't seem to be any timer.

Some sort of effect when the cursor is over the Play button would be a good idea. It didn't really seem clickable (although naturally, I assumed it was. It's just nice to have things react to the user a bit).

Typing on a PC by clicking letters is annoying. Why no keyboard input? Also, having them arranged alphabetically but broken up strangely was kind of annoying. A QWERTY-based layout would probably be better because it's what a lot of people are used to, and even people with AZERTY keyboards will mostly get it. This one just threw me off completely.

It doesn't seem to make good use of the available space. Do later levels use a bigger "board" or something? If so, then that's probably fine. It might be a good idea to have some sort of background that somehow implies that the board will expand in the future.

I got bored and quit by level seven, mostly because the music was really repetitive and the gameplay had no variety. The mechanics seem pretty solid, though, and apart from the low-res stuff I like the visual style.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
NazTaiL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:07:12 PM »

Thx for the feedback.
The time bar is inconspicuous. Maybe I could turn it red instead of orange.
I changed the 'ugly' door. I now use pixel graphic for everything.
Clickable buttons cursor is added.
keyboard input is added. ( _ and - are not recognized by Firefox... still working on that)
It needs to work on mobile(320x448 max). so no bigger board for now. (But maybe someday with a kind of zoom in/out it will works fine)
Music will change soon.

I'll appreciate if you take another quick look. Wink
Any other comments are welcome.
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 09:59:28 PM »

That door looks a lot better, but it's still half the resolution of everything else so it still looks strange to me.

I noticed the time bar as soon as you said it was inconspicuous. I think it'd be fine if it were just thicker. I like the color as it is.

My comment about the board not using the space well was because I'd only seen it go up to something like 5 squares by 5 squares. If it gets bigger and actually fills the 320px by 448px space better, then it's not a problem.

This time, I got to level 10 or 11 and then ran out of time because there didn't seem to be anything that I could connect to the end point. It seemed like a pretty huge difficulty spike, since I probably took under a minute to get there and never even noticed the timer going down until that level. Maybe I just missed something obvious, though.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
NazTaiL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 03:01:55 PM »

Little up.  Wink
RedHickory
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2016, 11:18:11 AM »

I played through several levels and never saw the timer.  Didn't even know the game had one until I read it in a comment here.  I never ran out of time because I quit playing, thinking it was somehow impossible to fail the game.  The game is simple and approachable.  In fact there are puzzles like this all over in Dungeons and Dragons Online.  That being said, as an end to itself it doesn't have much depth.  Hopefully you learned what you wanted to learn from the experience of making it.

My browser-based RPG (WIP) - Chronicles of Tright.
Wacompen
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2016, 12:46:45 PM »

Pretty fun, I got to level 14. Would be a cool mobile game if you could pick up where you left off Beer!
Jembo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »

I second what others have said about the timer - I couldn't spot it anywhere, but failed on something like level 6 because my time ran out. That being said, I quite enjoyed trying to figure that level out, which makes me think that the game doesn't really need a timer. The music is also a little repetitive, though I think it fits the graphical style. However, I'm also very keen on cohesive theming, so I'm not really sure why we have a sort of ancient/gothic theme with the tiles and skull, but the game's called Linko-D, which almost evokes something like a fun, cartoony mobile puzzler. I may just be overthinking, especially for a game made to test and learn.

Anyway, as a small, contained puzzle game I think it's pretty nifty. Definitely good practice too for the GameMaker and online leaderboards stuff!

My games: jemsmith.co.za
michaelplzno
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2016, 10:40:02 AM »

The way this is set up I have very little reason to retry for a better score. Its not making new levels each time right? You might want to have it track the number of clicks you make rather than time and let you restart at the level you were at.

Also, having some rotation animations or an animation of the glow stuff filling the new paths would go a long way for polishing the thing.

Maybe you might want to add some special tiles like portals or something to keep it fresh.

NazTaiL
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2016, 05:06:07 AM »

The way this is set up I have very little reason to retry for a better score. Its not making new levels each time right?

Only the first few levels are the same. (0,1 and 2)The others are totally random.
Thank you for the suggestions. I may do an upgrade soon or later on that game. Could be a larger game. But probably not html one.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic