Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 11:44:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonokai
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Author Topic: Monokai  (Read 11738 times)
HopelessComposer
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2016, 09:36:27 AM »

Game looks nice enough, but is there any reason why you're using Cave Story music to promote your game in your Youtube videos? Doesn't seem especially honest, unless you have permission or something. = \

Your game's tagline is basically just what's said at the beginning of every One Piece episode, too. Not sure if I'd count that as plagiarism or homage, though. Either way, I'm not a huge fan of "homages," either, usually...
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »

Game looks nice enough, but is there any reason why you're using Cave Story music to promote your game in your Youtube videos? Doesn't seem especially honest, unless you have permission or something. = \
I gave credit to their respective owners, I'd be glad to take the video down if the featured composers have a problem with their music being on it. Unless I'm not giving them credit or I make some income from the video, I don't see why they would be upset...

Your game's tagline is basically just what's said at the beginning of every One Piece episode, too.
Yeah well there is a reason for why I'm making One Piece top the list of the "Inspiration" section.

Not sure if I'd count that as plagiarism or homage, though. Either way, I'm not a huge fan of "homages," either, usually...
Maybe this game isn't for you either.

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2016, 10:35:24 AM »

Not sure if I'd count that as plagiarism or homage, though. Either way, I'm not a huge fan of "homages," either, usually...
attitude error

Btw using other people music (especially other game music) in a video that promotes your game isn't really advised.
The problem isn't for the featured composers but for your potential followers. Music is a powerful tool and music is part of the game. The music you're using is familiar to people who knows the music already and will reminds them of the other game hence losing interest from your game.  Loss of game identity.
It's a bid sad since your game looks promising.
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2016, 10:46:07 AM »

You're right but I don't have any other solution; I don't make any personal music so I used those. Still better than keeping the BGM mute...

HopelessComposer
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2016, 12:03:26 PM »

Yeah well there is a reason for why I'm making One Piece top the list of the "Inspiration" section.
There's a reason "inspiration" and "plagiarism" have their own separate entries in the dictionary.

Unless I'm not giving them credit or I make some income from the video, I don't see why they would be upset...
If you sell even *one* copy of your game in the future, you will have used their work for monetary gain.

You're right but I don't have any other solution;
Yeah, totally. Definitely you don't: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=free+music
And:

Still better than keeping the BGM mute...
No, it's really not.

Yeah, maybe not. :')

It's up to you, but if ethics aren't a concern for you, bakkusa's brought up some of the negatives on the business side, too. If you want people to take you and your game seriously, you'd do well to keep the borrowing to a minimum, though.
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2016, 12:18:56 PM »

You have a point. I'll try to be careful next time. Just to note, that video wasn't promotional or anything, it's more of a technical showcase. But I'll definitely ask for permission next time, as for now I'm just leaving that video there :/
And I don't see why you're calling this plagiarism... it's literally one sentence you read and you're already giving your verdict, I wonder how would you react if you knew how many plot elements are inspired from One Piece.

HopelessComposer
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2016, 12:47:19 PM »

Anything you make public is promotional, though. That's the reason it's made public to begin with. I don't think it's a huge deal, like you're actually using stolen art assets in your game or anything, but I don't think it's right, either.
And I don't see why you're calling this plagiarism... it's literally one sentence you read and you're already giving your verdict, I wonder how would you react if you knew how many plot elements are inspired from One Piece.
I'm not saying your game is a huge ball of theft and plagiarism. I'm saying that one line is *very obviously* taken almost verbatim from One Piece. This is wrong for two reasons:
1.)Anyone who doesn't know One Piece is going to think "Hey, cool line! Smiley", meaning your game profits (no matter how little) because of something you took from some kindly old Japanese man. Not cool!
2.)Anyone who *does* know the line from One Piece (a whole lot of people, in this case, since the manga and anime are so popular) are going to think "wow, gross. Stole that from One Piece, huh? Wonder what else this game is borrowing?", which is bad for your game, obviously.

Artists make their living off their assets and their ideas. Artists and fans take it *very* seriously when it's found out that something has been stolen from something else. We're all inspired by the things we love, obviously. It's our job as artists to make sure to make our work different enough from what's inspired us that it's obvious we put our own legwork in.

That said: your game itself looks very original. You obviously don't need to be borrowing from other artists anyway, so don't do it! It's bad karma, and it's more trouble than it's worth, anyway! ;P

Cheers, and good luck with your game. Smiley
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2016, 01:14:21 PM »

Ahh I see now. Well now that I think of it maybe I should try to come up with something else. Luckily the story with all its details still isn't carved so I might change it to sound less like One Piece. Though just to let you know the description I provided does sound like a rip-off but the game-story as I picture it in my mind does have its own personality. I'll have to make you wait till I work officially on the story and then see if it borrows from One Piece more than it should.
Thanks for this constructive feedback!

FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2016, 06:54:11 AM »

Looks extremely cool. Will be following updates.
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2016, 06:55:34 AM »

Looks extremely cool. Will be following updates.

Thanks a lot man!

hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2016, 08:20:14 AM »

This looks bad ass, very intrigued, can't wait to see more!

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2016, 08:52:24 AM »

This looks bad ass, very intrigued, can't wait to see more!
Thank you, stay tuned!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2016, 07:40:36 PM »

Really love the switch in style Sonoshee, it looked great before but now it looks like a living/breathing world. You have such a knack for feel and texture. Very, very jealous of your skills dude!

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2016, 03:31:33 AM »

Really love the switch in style Sonoshee, it looked great before but now it looks like a living/breathing world. You have such a knack for feel and texture. Very, very jealous of your skills dude!

Oh thank you!!

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2016, 03:17:56 PM »

Cool update video! glad you are still progressing Smiley

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2016, 03:26:02 PM »

Oh snap since you brought that up I think I should just say that I put this project on hiatus. I'm working on a smaller project as of now, gonna continue working on Monokai after I finish this new one, so no worries Cheesy

goshki
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: June 10, 2016, 04:10:32 AM »

Good job on capturing the sense of speed.

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2016, 05:44:21 AM »

Good job on capturing the sense of speed.
Thank you ^^ As a side note, the development is on hiatus. I'll get back to Monokai after a year or so.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 10, 2016, 10:45:10 AM »

I saw you comment on this and thought it was an update Sad

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: June 10, 2016, 11:09:37 AM »

I saw you comment on this and thought it was an update Sad
I wish it was! I'm excited to get back to it, not in the near time I'm afraid  No No NO

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic