Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:26:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMonokai
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Monokai  (Read 11691 times)
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2015, 12:59:40 PM »

Added :
- Atmosphere dust particles
- New sea texture
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 01:31:44 AM by Sonoshee » Logged

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2015, 11:58:22 AM »

Love the look of it!

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 12:12:07 PM »

thanks man!

TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2015, 07:07:21 AM »

Added :
- Atmosphere dust particles
- New sea texture

Hmm... that might be a bit too 3d, even :D

Looking good anyhow so keep it up!

- - - -
Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2015, 07:12:43 AM »

I think it looks good the further out it goes, but the water texture closest to the screen doesn't sit well to me. Everything seems kinda clean and simple (in a good way) but it seems lower res or muddy for some reason to me. I think you're on the right path but any tweaks that can be made? Also the wind streaks are boss.

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2015, 10:15:32 AM »

THANKS GUYS *^*

Hmm... that might be a bit too 3d, even :D

Can't help it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I desired a natural parallax scrolling effect throughout the game, but I had to sacrifice some of the natural flat 2D style and some of my blood. Worry not, I'm not gonna overuse 3D, the game will still be faithful to 2D no matter what.

I think it looks good the further out it goes, but the water texture closest to the screen doesn't sit well to me. Everything seems kinda clean and simple (in a good way) but it seems lower res or muddy for some reason to me. I think you're on the right path but any tweaks that can be made? Also the wind streaks are boss.

I'm afraid I don't see which part you're referring to, maybe this?

Grog
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2015, 12:11:01 PM »

I wish I could explain better. I guess I wasn't a fan of that aspect in general? It's growing on me as I look at it over time so maybe it's fine. I'll let you know as the devlog goes on.

The best way I can describe is that I really like the half thats furthest away, but as it becomes closer I like the effect less. It may just be me and I may need time with it.

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2015, 01:18:20 PM »

I wish I could explain better. I guess I wasn't a fan of that aspect in general? It's growing on me as I look at it over time so maybe it's fine. I'll let you know as the devlog goes on.

The best way I can describe is that I really like the half thats furthest away, but as it becomes closer I like the effect less. It may just be me and I may need time with it.

Totally agree, the one that's nearer to the playfield-layer is looking out of place compared to the part that's getting further away from the camera. I was planning to compensate that by adding some kind of waves or rocks or water-type enemies that'll fill up the sea surface since it's looking steady and unnatural as it is now.

Pixel Noise
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »

Wow - I've been looking at this devlog for a while and never commented on it, sorry about that! Glad other people are seeing this project now too - keep it up! I really like the concept and the art.

Pixel Noise - professional composition/sound design studio.
 https://soundcloud.com/pixel-noise
 https://twitter.com/PixelNoiseMusic
 https://pixelnoisemusic.bandcamp.com/

Recently completed the ReallyGoodBattle OST!  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=vgf-4DjU5q
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2015, 12:16:55 AM »

Wow - I've been looking at this devlog for a while and never commented on it, sorry about that! Glad other people are seeing this project now too - keep it up! I really like the concept and the art.

Thanks for the compliments! That brightens my day :-)

BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »

I second the comment regarding the texture closest to the screen - looks a tad odd. Maybe try not fading it and having it come flush against the "screen" or waterline or whatever.

MannequinRaces
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 07, 2015, 07:47:08 PM »

The water looks to me like it's moving vertical instead of horizontal.  Other than that nice minimalistic style!
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 07, 2015, 11:44:57 PM »

I second the comment regarding the texture closest to the screen - looks a tad odd. Maybe try not fading it and having it come flush against the "screen" or waterline or whatever.
I'm planning to do a lot of rework especially on the game world when I'll feel like it's time to, including the water texture and the overall palette of the game. I'll take your notes into account ;-)

The water looks to me like it's moving vertical instead of horizontal.  Other than that nice minimalistic style!
I think it's because of the gif, it doesn't have enough frames to show that the texture is smoothly moving from right to left, and I had to move at a high speed because atmosphere dust isn't quite visible at low speeds

Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2015, 10:02:16 AM »

Added :
- Peek Mode : comes handy in combat situations where you’ll want to scan the area around you before proceeding to explode stuff.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2015, 10:09:03 AM »

Looks really cool but I wonder if the idea of going at such a high speed contradicts the idea of exploring? Maybe a subtle slow-down effect could help out give that feeling of "I'm taking the time to scan the area before proceeding".

Obviously this is a first sketch and you might have already thought of this... but I had to say it.

Tongue

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »

Looks really cool but I wonder if the idea of going at such a high speed contradicts the idea of exploring? Maybe a subtle slow-down effect could help out give that feeling of "I'm taking the time to scan the area before proceeding".

Obviously this is a first sketch and you might have already thought of this... but I had to say it.
 Tongue
Nice point there! I wanted to talk about this and I think it's time to.
The aircraft has this kind of system I called Gears where, as the name suggests, you can increase your max speed and thrust force ( i.e. acceleration).
Each engine has a number of gears it can unlock, fighting enemies and dodging is better done at a lower gear, traveling on the other hand needs to be done in the highest gear since it'll take forever to reach the Moon with a slow speed.

The gears system is incomplete at the moment, I can unlock 3 gears but it's straightforward from num-keys and there is no visual feedback other than the size of the thrust-circle getting bigger. ( you can see it in the last video)

I usually record my gifs when I'm on the high gear ( so that things look a bit dragon ball z and fancy), but you can always move at a slower speed appropriate for exploring.
Also, for some gifs ( notably the two last ones) I had to modify the first gear to have the power of the third one, I did so to keep the thrust-circle small because I believe it looks cartoonish and overemphasized as it gets bigger.

Thanks for the note, please notify me of things like this that I might be ignoring, that's what devlogs are about Wink

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2015, 11:55:07 AM »

Looks great Sonoshee. Love the colors and the water effects when you get close Smiley

MannequinRaces
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2015, 12:48:28 PM »

I think it's because of the gif, it doesn't have enough frames to show that the texture is smoothly moving from right to left, and I had to move at a high speed because atmosphere dust isn't quite visible at low speeds
Right you are!  The new gif bellow looks very nice!
Sonoshee
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2015, 12:51:59 PM »

zomg guys thank you for the nice compliments!

TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2015, 12:54:42 PM »

Hmm, I still feel like the water texture is a bit off the otherwise rather pixeled style of the game... Good to see rapid progression and development though, looking great!

- - - -
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic