Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 02:26:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionDescending Hammer [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Descending Hammer [FINISHED]  (Read 6436 times)
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« on: February 21, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »

Descending Hammer: Awesome? You decide!

Direct download here: http://descendinghammer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Download%20Me/DescendingHammer.rar
Check out my cool sauce code here: http://code.google.com/p/descendinghammer/source/browse/#svn/trunk

CONTROLS:

Arrow keys to move on the "Z,Y" plane.
Press shift to toggle moving on the "X,Y"/"Z,Y" plane.
X to shoot
Z to switch weapons

Arrow keys / Enter for the menu.

So. My favorite part about this project was that I started this game with aboslutely no knowledge of c++ at all. In one month, I was able to get something that mostly worked and I'm pretty happy with what came out. It definitely could have used some better design, because the gameplay is pretty much just whatever happens after I coded in all the stuff I wanted. My next project will need some more planning.

Anyways, enjoy my game. It is pretty neato.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:35:54 PM by Lord Tim » Logged
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2009, 11:29:05 AM »

The 3D Goemon "Impact battles" are the closest I think you could get to a cockpit bullet hell. Granted, you can punch the bullets in those games, but it would be interesting to instead have to maneuver yourself through them (perhaps in the one space available to you). Sounds visually busy and distracting, though!

I endorse this idea. Make! Maaake!

Currently brainstorming for a project
Final Warrior
Level 0

Through hollow eyes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2009, 09:08:12 PM »

Newbie to TIGSource and all this rot. First post, too. Blame Tim. He coerced me into doing this! D:

But, uh, yeah... dunno how far he's gotten on giving substance to the system, but in my head this is something awesome.

-- Griffinhart

PS. Also the original name of the game was "TR: DESCENDING HAMMER (Of An Irate God Of Thunder)".

"My word is my honor. My honor is my life."
-- Demonchild, Angelkin, the Blackest Seraph, the Final Warrior
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 09:10:09 PM »

Dropping the Lua, because it hates me. I guess it'll just have to be all hardcoded.

Here is a concept image of a COCKPIT.

Made in brainstormtastic opencanvas.
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »

New stuff finally! I am getting the hang of this whole c++ thing.  Grin

That is just the minimap. I am going to put some kind of pseudo 3d first person perspective stuff in the black bit.

(The red stuff is bullets)
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2009, 10:13:11 PM »

And Descending hammer is here!

wooo yaay alright

Gentleman

Direct download here: http://descendinghammer.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/Download%20Me/DescendingHammer.rar
Check out my cool sauce code here: http://code.google.com/p/descendinghammer/source/browse/#svn/trunk

So. My favorite part about this project was that I started this game with aboslutely no knowledge of c++ at all. In one month, I was able to get something that mostly worked and I'm pretty happy with what came out. It definitely could have used some better design, because the gameplay is pretty much just whatever happens after I coded in all the stuff I wanted. My next project will need some more planning.

Anyways, enjoy my game. It is pretty neato.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:22:21 PM by Lord Tim » Logged
Final Warrior
Level 0

Through hollow eyes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2009, 10:25:29 PM »

On the other hand, I felt like I could've done a lot more had I actually had time to do anything other than artwork. Sad

Oh wells. Mebbe over the summer I can refresh myself in C++. (And forget all this accursed Java...)

-- Griffinhart
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 10:29:43 PM by Final Warrior » Logged

"My word is my honor. My honor is my life."
-- Demonchild, Angelkin, the Blackest Seraph, the Final Warrior
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2009, 08:47:54 AM »

I played it. I didn't get it. Getting hit didn't seem to effect anything and if there were enemies to attack (which when I finally figured out how to shoot I saw them getting destroyed) I couldn't figure out what they were. Not a big fan of button mashing to find out the keys, an in-game or readme would be keen.

Still, congrats on your first allegro game.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Fuzz
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2009, 10:18:58 AM »

I played it. I didn't get it. Getting hit didn't seem to effect anything and if there were enemies to attack (which when I finally figured out how to shoot I saw them getting destroyed) I couldn't figure out what they were. Not a big fan of button mashing to find out the keys, an in-game or readme would be keen.

The keys are in the first post...
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2009, 02:16:14 PM »

Yeah, the way I did perspective was kind of messed up, so things look like they're hitting stuff when it is far away, but up close it is more accurate.

It's not all that fun, but my next game will definitely be designed much better.
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 05:24:55 AM »

The keys are in the first post...
Oh, I found them there, but if I'm going to play a game I don't want to have to find the forum topic it was made in. Especially when it's one of a competition with over 20 finished entries. Let's remember, user experience counts in the final voting. Make a game easy to play and folks will play it enough to get into your game, and that translates to votes.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Fuzz
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »

In any case, all the games that didn't have Readme files in the original download do in the big download I've uploaded here- http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4823.msg179822#msg179822
I just copied the keys from the first post.
trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 05:20:32 AM »

much better than the first post pic make it looks  Well, hello there!
a video would do it justice
I think with little "feeling tweaks" and progressive levels with objectives ,
it would be really really satisfying !

( in fact , I'm in the same situation with my entry  Gentleman )

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic