Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 08:51:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOpera Omnia [Release]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Opera Omnia [Release]  (Read 46314 times)
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2009, 07:38:32 PM »

Have you fixed this yet? I want to see what happens after level 17!
increpare
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2009, 07:44:23 PM »

I worked on it a little, along with some other things, but got sidetracked/deflected by some totally off-the-wall errors someone else found in something else. 

Are you able to reproduce the bug on level 17? Or describe it in more detail; was it that you were very close to the constraints, or that they were totally out?  (i was able to play through it myself just fine, though i recommend waiting until the new version because level 18 isn't going to make sense as it is I think).

I'll do a release tomorrow, regardless.

thanks for calling me on this; having a slow week...
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2009, 08:34:17 PM »

On level 17 I was well within all of the victory constraints. I double and triple checked it and even cross-referenced against the Lua script.

I'll try it again tomorrow and see if it can be reproduced.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2009, 10:11:35 PM »

I'd love to write about this for TIGSource, but I'm stuck on level 7.  I think I get it conceptually, but I'm having trouble making things work the way I'd like.  So I went back to level 2 to try to figure it out, but now I can't even beat that level. Sad

The problem is that I can get people to leave before the famine, but for some reason can't get them to go back.  I've set the migration route, but they just won't budge.  Can't remember how I beat it the first time (which may have just been luck).
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2009, 10:28:18 PM »

Nevermind, I figured it out!  This is a really interesting game... it's working my brain in a new way!
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 08:54:57 AM »

Can't really say much about the game, as I haven't played it.
Could you compile it for 10.4? I tried but it looks complicated. Anyhow, I'll try again and report back.

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 11:06:13 AM »

Ok, I can replicate the problem on level 17.

Move the timeline quite close to the earliest point in history - maybe 7 pixels away. Then draw migration routes from Hlafw to the top four towns, and from Wlafu to the bottom four towns. Advance to time 0, and you get:

Our population Hlafw: 390,000
Their population Hlafw: 10,000
Our population Wlafu: 390,000
Their population Wlafu: 10,000

... or thereabouts. And it doesn't register a win.
increpare
« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 12:48:36 PM »

Thanks  lot for that, Bennett; I really appreciate it.  I'll have a very close look at it after dinner.

Can't really say much about the game, as I haven't played it.
Could you compile it for 10.4? I tried but it looks complicated. Anyhow, I'll try again and report back.
As a rule I don't concern myself with versions pre-10.5.  I can send you the xcode project files/makefile if you want to give it another go. (needless to say, if you do compile something, I would be cheerful, and happily redistribute it with your permission).
increpare
« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 05:10:50 PM »

ok, bennett, i tracked down the bug.  turns out I was testing the win-condition at the penultimate time-slice instead of the last one (confusion with array bounds...my fault entirely).

I've uploaded the newer version there.  It should work now.  You might want to back up your config.lua file though...
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 06:54:36 PM »

Aw man. I really want to play this awesome looking game, but I am getting a blue screen immediately on running the program.

I am on Vista 64x, but haven't really had any problems with indie games like this before.
increpare
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 07:03:42 PM »

I am on Vista 64x, but haven't really had any problems with indie games like this before.

You haven't, but I have (though never on my machine).  Apologies.  I think I might have fixed it now (i accidentally put something in this build that was causing xp64 crashes in previous releases)).  Could you download it and try running it again?  I understand it's a pain if it causes a bsod again, but I would appreciate it.
Hat Galleon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2009, 08:27:55 PM »

Oh hey look spoilers, my thoughts and constructive criticism of the game, and such things.

If my post looks small, that's because all of the text is between the abbr tags.
Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »

Works for me now!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 08:51:33 PM »

I cannot figure out how to get the spoilers in that post to show!

Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

I'm sorry to ask this so late, but is it possible to make fullscreen optional? I tried fixing this myself, but couldn't seem to find the files to linking lua.
Zaphos
« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »

Empyreal -- I think you're taking the ending at face value, when most of its strength lies in its use of understatement and unreliable narrators.
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2009, 10:42:21 PM »

Man, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this...I think I'm about halfway through...the idea is intriguing, but I'll need a few more days at least to say anything intelligent about it. Tongue

However, I do think the instructions could be a little clearer. Maybe the guy giving you instructions could talk about how the computer extrapolates backward in the past based on your constraints. Also, there was a bit talking about the interface that I found confusing...The guy is talking about how to set the beginning point of the migration routes, and he says something like, "Set the time on the timeline and then click on it". And by "it" he actually means the migration route...To create a migration route, first you click on its ending point on the timeline (closer to the present), then you draw the migration route on the graph, then you click on its beginning point on the timeline (closer to the past), and then you click on the migration route itself. It took me a few minutes to figure out that last part.

All in all, I think it's good that you have the "tutorial-like" section included in the game, but I also think it would be nice to have a document included with the game that explains the interface...that's just my personal feeling, though. Wink

increpare
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2009, 04:11:33 AM »

I'm sorry to ask this so late, but is it possible to make fullscreen optional? I tried fixing this myself, but couldn't seem to find the files to linking lua.
there isn't a lua option for it, but...hmm...ok here's a binary compiled in windowed mode for windows...just for you, baby...
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2009, 05:47:07 AM »

Empyreal: I really liked the ending. It seems to me that almost every game ever made ends with a 'bang'. But there are many good endings in other mediums that just 'fizzle'. Even though games are probably very much more conducive to a 'bang' ending, it's great to explore other possibilities too.

I cannot figure out how to get the spoilers in that post to show!
Just quote him?

Bennett
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2009, 07:14:27 AM »

I just got to the ending. I don't mind having a subtle ending, but I think it would be cool if the character acted a bit like the man in 'an artist of the floating world': he should angrily deny that his historical theories had any role in causing the war. He should kind of hint that he is haunted by feelings of responsibility.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic