Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:25:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingOpera Omnia [Release]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: Opera Omnia [Release]  (Read 46164 times)
Gold Cray
Level 10

Gold Cray

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2009, 07:40:11 AM »

I'm sorry to ask this so late, but is it possible to make fullscreen optional? I tried fixing this myself, but couldn't seem to find the files to linking lua.
there isn't a lua option for it, but...hmm...ok here's a binary compiled in windowed mode for windows...just for you, baby...
Thank you. Hopefully someone else will find it useful as well.

I haven't finished it yet, but so far it's really great in a lot of ways. Thanks again for making the windowed version.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:11:24 AM by Gold Cray » Logged
Massena
Level 4

Satisfied.

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2009, 04:01:22 PM »

Thanks  lot for that, Bennett; I really appreciate it.  I'll have a very close look at it after dinner.

Can't really say much about the game, as I haven't played it.
Could you compile it for 10.4? I tried but it looks complicated. Anyhow, I'll try again and report back.
As a rule I don't concern myself with versions pre-10.5.  I can send you the xcode project files/makefile if you want to give it another go. (needless to say, if you do compile something, I would be cheerful, and happily redistribute it with your permission).

Ah yes, good man. I would be grateful.

Traveller
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2009, 01:20:30 AM »

I'm fascinated!  That was fun.  Difficulty all over the place though, so while it makes narrative sense, it weirded out my gameplay sense when some levels were literally one-click trivial right after a hard one.  I expected to see more options, too--like the ability to tweak wars more directly than with migration routes.  Like, the ability to mark a city as being a battlefield between times X and Y.

That and when I saw "Future" in the levels, I have to admit I expected either time travel, or something where you were actually planning things INTO the future directly for the war effort, possibly not knowing that's what you were doing at the time.

It was a very fun change of pace!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2009, 01:26:59 AM »

Yes, more options / a sequel would be nice. It seems like this mechanic hasn't been fully explored in the 20 levels given.

muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 07, 2009, 09:07:17 AM »

I just tried finishing level 18, but couldn't seem to do it... (mild spoilers perhaps, though with people spoiling the ending outright, who am I trying to kid Lips Sealed Seriously, Bennett, spoiler tag, please?). I managed to get all towns to show the others' population as zero at t=0, but the overall population panel still showed a population of 2. I'm guessing there's some weirdness with rounding errors going on?
increpare
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »

I'm guessing there's some weirdness with rounding errors going on?
yeah.  easiest way to do it is to make sure they all have a more-or-less equal population when the populations are still high.  So, say, try to divide them into four groups of 4k each, or something along those lines.
muku
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2009, 12:01:50 PM »

'kay, thanks for the hint, I'll give it a try. Have you considered rounding the population to the nearest integer for checking goal conditions? Because I guess 0.31 of a person doesn't make much sense.
increpare
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2009, 12:28:16 PM »

'kay, thanks for the hint, I'll give it a try. Have you considered rounding the population to the nearest integer for checking goal conditions? Because I guess 0.31 of a person doesn't make much sense.
yeah, I have. I should change it as well.  I'll...make a note...
jimmythechang
Level 0

wait this isn't air IT'S BEES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2009, 03:12:28 AM »

My partial understanding of the mechanics were that people on the move don't have the time nor the resources to procreate. So for Level 18, just link up all the cities in a circle at the beginning. The Adam and Eve of the Others will never have had an opportunity to meet.

Throughout the game I understood what I was supposed to do, and I admit I...took to the task rather readily. For me, the Others were marginalized to the point of being really nothing more than numbers and squares, which may have been your intention in the first place. Perhaps they really weren't the "violent savages" they were professed to be, but as far as I was concerned, they were just a variable standing in my way.     

i'll do better next time i swear

http://jimmythechang.com
Will Vale
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 09, 2009, 11:53:45 PM »

I downloaded this and played it last night - I found I got confused perhaps more than I should, and I had to re-read the briefings several times to figure out what to do.

But still, I looked up and it was an hour or so later and I'd got to level 12, so something's definitely going right Smiley I think the core concept is brilliant, but I must admit that only a couple of levels have clicked for me - by which I mean reached the point where I'd internalised enough of the rules to go and set out the solution without trial + error.

I do wonder if it would be easier to grasp if the mechanics were discrete rather than continuous (one block of population moved per one bar of years) but then you wouldn't have some of the fiddly but interesting optimisation you have to do on the levels with tight constraints.

A minor nitpick: I think the story tips its hand a bit early on - mentioning the Romany people is a bit of a clue as to where things are going/what kind of a place your country might be.

Now I just need to finish the game Smiley

[edit] Finished now, I did much better today than yesterday. I guess I must be a dyed-in-the-wool coder since level 18 immediately felt like a rounding error trick Smiley That was probably my favourite.

Not sure about interpreting the ending, I don't think I would have made the inference others did, but then maybe I'm too thick to draw my own conclusions. I wonder if this was because the protagonist has my name (yay!) and therefore it was hard for me to ascribe genocidal motivations to him?

Cheers and thanks for making this, certainly very different to my usual fare!

Will
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 12:40:17 AM by Will Vale » Logged
Crackerblocks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »

I finally got the chance to wrap my head around this. It was pretty baffling at first, but enjoyable once I got it.

Surprised this wasn't written in haskell like some of your other games. A game about satisfying constraints seems like a natural fit. And would explain where you came up such a strange idea. If you were in a functional mindset, it might seem less unusual.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 11, 2009, 06:42:26 AM »

My brain is still currently refusing to understand how this works! I've gotten to level 7, but the effects of my actions don't quite make sense to me yet. I'm guessing I just need to sit down and think harder about what's happening. I'll let you know how that goes!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 13, 2009, 11:43:52 PM »

Man, my computer must hate whatever it is you do because this game gives me a blue screen too.  I notice at least one other person has this problem so I don't feel like such a freak anymore :V I didn't have any problems with rara racer.  Any idea what it is?

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: March 14, 2009, 06:19:00 AM »

Hey!

So, I've picked up the game, played around with it for a while, here are a few comments...

I don't know what should I do. In the first episode, I passed the challenge but I'm not sure what I did. I simply placed a line and then I pressed a button. The second episode has me all confused on how I can play this game. Perhaps if the game offered some kind of simple, inmmersive tutorial. I dunno. I just can't get passed the second episode cuz I have no idea what I need to do. It feels like the dialogue is telling me the answer but I have no idea how to actualy do it.

I felt like the objective "VILLAGE_NAME population should exceed 600 000" was a bit too vague. Like, should it exceed 600 000 during famine? In the present? In the past? A bit more info would be a good way to help clear things up.

It would be nice that the reset option form the menu would not replay the dialogue. perhaps adding a "replay conversation" or whatever would be nice.

In all cases, I feel like I would need to sit down with you and chat a bit about what you want the gameplay to work so I can spot where I'm confused cuz right now, it feels like it would be a lot of fun but I can't seem to understand it. Sorry. But I want to understand it so I'll probably try it again later Smiley

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 14, 2009, 06:35:48 AM »

I felt like the objective "VILLAGE_NAME population should exceed 600 000" was a bit too vague. Like, should it exceed 600 000 during famine? In the present? In the past? A bit more info would be a good way to help clear things up.
It says up the top "Constraints at time 0". So whatever objectives you have apply to the earliest possible time. But I also found this confusing because your eye is not drawn to that line very well.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: March 17, 2009, 03:30:11 PM »

At last I played the final version of Opera Omnia. I'd been vacationing at an aunt's house in the US for the past month, so I haven't really had much time to sit in front of the computer and play involved games such as this one, but now I'm back home.

As for comments, let's get the nitpicking out of the way first. The very concept of the game is to get the player to think backwards, which I love, but wish that learning curve was not quite as steep (level 2 is quite a step up in difficulty). I also wish that the dialog offered more hints every now and then, like in the case of level 18, which I had no idea how to solve until I read one of Paul Eres' comments in this thread. The interface could use being more transparent (in the timeline area, especially), because at times it's quite hard to read and utilize, but that's the least of my problems with the game, really. I think that the game should, in general, be more transparent and nice to the player in the first few levels, and have a stronger narrative hook at that time to keep the player interested (give a bit of a promise of things to come).

The ending was quite anticlimactic. I get the point, but I feel like the text could be a bit more dramatic, hint a bit more at what's behind the words.

All that aside, I think that the game is successful at what it sets out to achieve. I feel like it's one of those few games that actually communicates an interesting message with the format that cannot be done any other way quite as powerfully. So, yeah, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank you for making it!

increpare
« Reply #96 on: March 19, 2009, 07:28:59 AM »

FWIW, I released a small update to this, with some of muku's suggestions added, some typos corrected, and that nasty bsod error gone (updated all of my other sdl games as well just there, hopefully bsods shouldn't be a problem now)... .
Zaphos
« Reply #97 on: March 19, 2009, 12:38:20 PM »

I'm curious ... what was causing the bsod error?
increpare
« Reply #98 on: March 19, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »

It seems that debug builds (which I was releasing, for some reason which I cannot fully justify) were combining badly  with SDL on Vista(BSoD badly).
Captain_404
« Reply #99 on: March 20, 2009, 07:15:32 PM »

Glitch report, also level 18 spoilers, I reduced the Other population to zero in every city, the game, however, did not recognize that I won. I tried again with the same result. Here's to hoping I didn't accidentally download the wrong version or something...

EDIT: got around to browsing the thread, looks like I did. Sorry.

NOT EDIT: Interesting game though. The mechanics never really made sense until level 18. I mean, on some base level I understood what was happening, but I guess it just never "clicked".

er- no pun intended.

EDIT AGAIN: On a side note, for future idiots like myself it might be kind of you to post a link to the most recent version in  your original post.

Also, I really don't want to have to replay all those early levels again, is there any way to pick up in the new version from my previous save?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 07:32:20 PM by Captain_404 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic