Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:34:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionTragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Author Topic: Tragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]  (Read 52793 times)
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2009, 09:22:18 AM »

I haven't updated for a long time, but I've made some improvement. The game logic is pretty much in one piece now, there's shooting, all relevant collisions are tested and handled. Also a lot of balancing had taken place.

Artwork-wise, I've started cracking on the new terrain textures which will be double the resolution of the original ones (the width of the enemy sprites is 32px whereas the the terrain tiles' was only 16px).

to do's:
- editor & level serialization (finally!)
- cockpit (mostly bars for shield and ammo)
- interceptors' AI for reals
- player's death
- sounds & music
- front-end
- bosses
(- storyline conversation before/after levels (character portraits))

I'm tempted to get out a new demo, but I guess I'm gonna have to resist this time as the game still feels kinda half-assed when I stand it next to the featurelist.

fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »

maybe try having an options toggle so you can choose between chunky and blurred pixels?

I have mooselike reflexes
PGGB
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 06:50:15 AM »

maybe try having an options toggle so you can choose between chunky and blurred pixels?

this looks really nice
the blurred sprites in your most recent screenshot bother me. we love the pixels chunky
I prefer the blur version
Wink
I'll try to make it optional then.=)

trabitboy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2009, 05:04:20 AM »

I like the movements of the cockpit when moving sideways   Beer!

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 10:53:56 AM »

we've got application states now.

this looks really nice
the blurred sprites in your most recent screenshot bother me. we love the pixels chunky
I prefer the blur version
Wink
I'll try to make it optional then.=)

fucking editor is still nowhere tho.=L also, the backdrop might change -- there's something not pretty about it.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2009, 04:39:01 AM »

coughed up a title track for the game. it's downloadable from the threadhead.

fiber optic asparagus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2009, 06:30:38 AM »

yay! Corny Laugh

I have mooselike reflexes
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »

I like the title track! The SID-style arp synths are sweet. I like the melodic lead that starts at 0:51, but I'm not sure about how it handles the key change at 1:13. I'd suggest redoing that. Other than that, it's great!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2009, 09:15:12 PM »

Music talk! Shocked

I wish I could understand that. Smiley

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
MysticSi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2009, 08:16:21 AM »

That music is amazing, reminds me of the music in Tyrian. I actually liked the bit where it changes key.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2009, 09:00:39 AM »

I like the title track! The SID-style arp synths are sweet. I like the melodic lead that starts at 0:51, but I'm not sure about how it handles the key change at 1:13. I'd suggest redoing that. Other than that, it's great!
When I PM'd you I was actually thinking you meant the second key change (I found that one a bit, I dunno, forced?). I've tweaked the track since.

That music is amazing, reminds me of the music in Tyrian.
Thank you!=)

Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2009, 09:16:34 AM »

When I PM'd you I was actually thinking you meant the second key change (I found that one a bit, I dunno, forced?). I've tweaked the track since.
Ah, the second key change is at 1:38, right? I actually like that a bit more than the first key change. It reminds me of David Whittaker's C64 stuff, somehow. At any rate, the track is still great, and I really like the drums.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

mirosurabu
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2009, 11:52:42 AM »

The FL-tune is decent. Smiley

I like the later screenshots.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2009, 07:32:11 PM »

the level editor is almost ready! I might take a more informative screenshot one day.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 24, 2009, 06:22:22 AM »

You should up the lighting a bit, it looks really dark from here.

Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: March 24, 2009, 07:20:23 AM »

Will you be releasing the level editor before the competition deadline, allowing people to create levels for the game to be included in the Competition version?

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2009, 08:41:35 AM »

You should up the lighting a bit, it looks really dark from here.

Yeah, are you developing on a TFT? Remember that everything is much darker on a CRT, that last screenshot looks almost black to me.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 07:38:08 AM »

Remember that everything is much darker on a CRT, that last screenshot looks almost black to me.

Thanks for the point, Mikademus (& Hideous)! That's definitely something I failed to have considered.

On the technical side it was too far into the development when I've realized that for (pseudo)3D I should probably use lighting or flares for stuff that's lit. Flares wouldn't be so hard to do (lighting is completely new/hostile waters for me), but I'm using reverse painting which is mutually exclusive with alpha blending, so I'd have to rewrite the rendering. What's left is to crank up the lightness on the textures.

On another note I'm up to the finishing touches now, at least for the version I'll submit for the compo. Opposing to plans there WILL be a level editor included in this one, but I didn't have time for the bosses and the story mode levels.=(

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »

Will you be releasing the level editor before the competition deadline, allowing people to create levels for the game to be included in the Competition version?

hell yeah! Coffee

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2009, 12:24:45 PM »

I'm quite ready to upload the alpha. Anybody wants to try their hands at the level editor?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic