Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 05:34:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsCockpit CompetitionTragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Author Topic: Tragedius [FINISHED - final (post-compo) version is out]  (Read 52981 times)
Fuzz
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »

I'm quite ready to upload the alpha. Anybody wants to try their hands at the level editor?
YEAH Evil
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2009, 05:48:36 PM »

I've released the alpha (OSX version is coming too). The game isn't 100%, but most of the changes to follow are cosmetical / quantitative. Check the readme for instructions for the editor.

Fuzz
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »

Is there a way to place a level's goal?  Durr...?
Also, minor typo- somewhere in game you say "entites" when it should be "entities".

I made a really horrible level, but at least it's something, and the level editor's fun to play with.
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2009, 02:01:14 AM »

Hmm, I think there's a bug in the Windows version that makes the game unplayable (At least, I hope it doesn't just affect me). I've uploaded a video:

Left and right banking is way too strong, causing the ship to rotate incredibly fast. It's not particularly obvious from the video, but it does actually move left and right, you just can't tell.

Also, I'm not sure if the level editor's working correctly; at the moment, it doesn't display anything of the actual level, so the only representation you have of what you're doing is the mini-map.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Fuzz
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2009, 02:14:03 AM »

Hmm, I think there's a bug in the Windows version that makes the game unplayable (At least, I hope it doesn't just affect me). I've uploaded a video:

Left and right banking is way too strong, causing the ship to rotate incredibly fast. It's not particularly obvious from the video, but it does actually move left and right, you just can't tell.

Also, I'm not sure if the level editor's working correctly; at the moment, it doesn't display anything of the actual level, so the only representation you have of what you're doing is the mini-map.
I'm on XP and didn't have either problem.
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2009, 02:30:03 AM »

Balls. Well, my system specs are: Pentium Quad Core x3GHz processor, 4GB RAM, nVidia 8600 graphics. Oh, and I'm running 64bit XP, which might have something to do with it (Although 64bit XP bugs generally consist of something not working at all). The only other 64bit XP user I know of here is Xerus.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2009, 02:33:14 AM »

Is there a way to place a level's goal?  Durr...?
Also, minor typo- somewhere in game you say "entites" when it should be "entities".

I made a really horrible level, but at least it's something, and the level editor's fun to play with.

Cool!=) Thanks for the fix.=)
No, there's no way to set the end, the level will play until you reach the last layer or kill the last enemy. (But this is something not in this version -- which is why I decided to remove the DL link. That and the rude words.=D)

Oh man.=( Thanks for shooting the video. Is that Vista? I have no idea at all what can be causing this. Could you give me your FPS / CPS values readings?

For the level editor, check readme -- you need to set a couple of things before you can see anything. Register a level, set the textures, then you can start drawing away (also set the level size with ALT + UP / RIGHT).

Balls. Well, my system specs are: Pentium Quad Core x3GHz processor, 4GB RAM, nVidia 8600 graphics. Oh, and I'm running 64bit XP, which might have something to do with it (Although 64bit XP bugs generally consist of something not working at all). The only other 64bit XP user I know of here is Xerus.

Oh, right.=( Well, my guess would be about as good as yours... Anybody?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:37:52 AM by !CE-9 » Logged

TheKeyToDestruction
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2009, 09:35:44 AM »

this looks really cool.
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »

Just for the record, I figured out the bug; It was happening because I'd turned the frame rate up to 75fps. Looks like banking is tied into the frame rate somehow.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2009, 07:55:22 AM »

Just for the record, I figured out the bug; It was happening because I'd turned the frame rate up to 75fps. Looks like banking is tied into the frame rate somehow.
god, it really is. but I didn't realize it was tied to it SO closely. Crazy (it wasn't so apparent on my setup - not when I wasn't looking for it anyways) The problem was that the view roll (being purely a visual effect) is calculated per frame based on the change of speed (number of samples), which will certainly give different results at a different framerates....

this looks really cool.
Thanks!=)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 12:48:36 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: March 31, 2009, 03:46:48 PM »

Tragedius CCE v0.91a is available for Mac OSX & Windows.

- end-of-level evaluation is in
- got in a new type of enemy
- fixed a shitload of bugs
- redone the enemies' sprites. they're supposed to look better now.
- got some additional artwork to play with in the editor
- made the controls (especially in menus) more user-friendly.

I'll probably do some more music and levels until deadline. Beyond that, I dunno (there's the story and the bosses planned) - it depends greatly on the feedback I get.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:05:52 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 31, 2009, 04:07:08 PM »

Agh! I had the FPS up as high as it could go and it was still ridiculously slow! Cry
I guess I'll never get to play this, however awesome it looks.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 31, 2009, 04:11:39 PM »

Agh! I had the FPS up as high as it could go and it was still ridiculously slow! Cry
I guess I'll never get to play this, however awesome it looks.

What's your config and what CPS values did you get? (The value in the parentheses when you turn FPS display on.)

This may help?

Wait, you cranked the FPS _UP_? Try getting it down, that's supposed to allow more CPU time for computations at the expense of turning the visual experience into something on par with flicking through the pages of a comic book.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:15:53 PM by !CE-9 » Logged

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: March 31, 2009, 04:15:50 PM »

This may help?

Hmm, that may fix the framerate issues I also had when I played.  I'll try it when I get home, thanks!

EDIT: You and I are going to have to duel one day... There can be only one.

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 31, 2009, 04:18:51 PM »

This may help?

Hmm, that may fix the framerate issues I also had when I played.  I'll try it when I get home, thanks!

EDIT: You and I are going to have to duel one day... There can be only one.

The Kurgan? Mock Anger

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 31, 2009, 04:38:18 PM »

I'll try that link, but the thing is I tried it on the lowest and very high FPS values, but I don't think it was the matter because it completely froze when I entered the level selection screen. Which texturing mode is less stressful?
I get about a 3 in the parentheses when I turn it on, but it slowly climbs to a 10-20.
EDIT: Hm. It found a lot af driver errors but after analysis it wanted me to register to fix it and it cost money, so that's a dead end there Tongue
« Last Edit: March 31, 2009, 04:48:52 PM by Glyphmasta » Logged

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 31, 2009, 04:51:41 PM »

ouch.=(

my guess would be the pixelly one (GL_LINEAR). I don't know about the insta-freeze.=( When exactly does it crash? (Selecting Story mode / Custom level mode from the start menu? Selecting the Load level option fron the Editor's main menu? Trying to select a menu from story mode? or the editor's Load level dialog?)

Is it an assertion that's tripped, or the program just dies? And what is your config, CPU, VGA adapter and operating system?

Glyph
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 31, 2009, 05:10:08 PM »

Well, I use Windows XP for an operating system, and it doesn't die like expected. The framerate simply drops well below 1 fps, but I found that if I rapidly tapped the escape key, it would finally read the input. So that's good it's not a crash, at least. This happens when selecting levels to edit, more specifically scrolling between them, and even more so onto mine. I would say just a crappy CPU, like that program told me. This computer IS 3-4 years old, after all. So don't worry about me. My computer's a lost cause. I had to change the color quality from 32-bit to 16-bit just to run my 2d game, which is just black and white! Roll Eyes

Fuzz
« Reply #78 on: March 31, 2009, 05:11:43 PM »

I'm downloading this now, but I'm curious as to whether there is any story mode to speak of at the moment, because if not, I encourage you to make one.
György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: March 31, 2009, 05:29:18 PM »

Well, I use Windows XP for an operating system, and it doesn't die like expected. The framerate simply drops well below 1 fps, but I found that if I rapidly tapped the escape key, it would finally read the input. So that's good it's not a crash, at least. This happens when selecting levels to edit, more specifically scrolling between them, and even more so onto mine. I would say just a crappy CPU, like that program told me. This computer IS 3-4 years old, after all. So don't worry about me. My computer's a lost cause. I had to change the color quality from 32-bit to 16-bit just to run my 2d game, which is just black and white! Roll Eyes

oh man...=) thanks for the info. yeah -- the CPS value indicates how many times does it try to read input & such per second, and one has to be very agile to hit it. sorry it doesn't work.=(

I'm downloading this now, but I'm curious as to whether there is any story mode to speak of at the moment, because if not, I encourage you to make one.

Not for the compo, but maybe afterwards. I'd love to see some boss monsters in there, but I have to admit that writing this game had already taught me a lesson or two. It has its own evolution and had turned out to be something slightly different from what I've expected, which is not a bad thing, but some things I've imagined for it don't really make sense, like weapon types and power-ups. The evaluations had me thinking too, and I'm very much tempted to remove the number of kills from there. Achieving a higher kill count isn't the aim of the game - seeking out the enemies that contain the Memory Bubbles is, then some maneuvering and shooting, but only to get you to the end of stage.

So yeah, I have the next version with the story and the bosses and multiple endings and more enemy types (and more) in mind, but I have yet to see if it's  something worthwhile to do.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 07:31:08 AM by !CE-9 » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic