Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:48:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGREENLIGHT - Adaeus: Rogue Planet. Roguelike metroidvania style RPG platformer.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: GREENLIGHT - Adaeus: Rogue Planet. Roguelike metroidvania style RPG platformer.  (Read 13158 times)
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:13:03 PM »

UPDATE: We are live on Greenlight!  If you like what you see from us, please come give us an up vote.  We appreciate each one!  Please click the picture below to head to the greenlight page!

Hello folks!  Since we’re getting well on into production I decided it was probably time to put up a Tigsource blog of our game called Adaeus.  It’s a Metroidvania type game, and the elevator pitch in a room full of gamers would basically be, “Castlevania like combat in a Metroid like setting.”   What this means is, you’ll be traveling around in areas with creatures more akin to a Metroid game, but have combat that feels more like Castlevania with melee attacks being your mainstay and the gun/chip system being the special attacks.
The skill system is definitely what makes Adaeus unique.  At a point very early on in the game, you’ll find a multi-purpose gun that will have four base components: a laser, beam, missile, and explosive grenade shots.  You’ll be able to modify these components by changing the element type, trajectory, speed, amount of projectiles, and their collision behavior.  

Using those modifications, players will strategize different ways to navigate different encounters and puzzles in the game.

But the depth doesn’t end there, you’ll find various chips that you can install into expansion slots that will combine together to drastically alter the initial effects.  For example, you are using the laser shot and find a heat chip and a speed chip.  By putting those chips into the gun, it’s going to change the laser to a fire laser (with a chance to burn enemies) and speed up the projectile.  There are also support chips which will do things like decrease the amount of charge used per shot, increase the likelihood of status afflictions taking place per shot, etc.  You’ll be able to mix and match these chips as you see fit creating a variety of effects, just as long as you have enough chip slots in the gun to support your combination.

This is a gif of the regular shot:

And here is the shot after equipping the heat chip:

We’re pretty far into development at this stage of the game’s life.  We’ve gotten a lot of the mechanics in and finalized, a lot of the systems in place, and the vast majority of equipment you’ll find in game is already done and fleshed out, as shown by this screenshot of our gun ordinance screen (which is still a WIP and missing some on-screen information):

Travel (progression) powers are in and working as well.  When you acquire things in the game like the double jump, the dash ability or the jetpack, it will open up parts of the world previously inaccessible, and change the way you interact with places you’ve been beforehand.  In addition to this, even some enemies will react differently to you when using some of your travel abilities, causing more dynamic combat situations.  The powers will, of course, properly limit progression (don’t worry sequence breakers, there will be an opportunity for you to do your thing as well!) but they also change the way you interact with many facets of the game overall.  
We’re also constantly polishing combat and animations as the days go by.  Below you’ll find one of those very animations we’re talking about, a stabby bee:

We’ve pretty much reached the point in development where we’re going to need extra funding to get further.  As I’m sure most people here are well aware, art is CRAZY EXPENSIVE and Adaeus is going to need a good amount of it.  So, like the majority of first time indie devs, we’re gonna hit up Kickstarter.  However, we’re further along than most with two years into development and have hundreds of man hours invested into the project.  We’ll be going to Kickstarter just to push us past the finish line.

On that note, our plan is to go to Kickstarter in the coming months, then hit early access after that.  “WTF, a Metroidvania doesn’t work on early access!”  You are correct!  They really don’t since you would basically be releasing the whole game little bits at a time and not changing much.  I don’t think anyone would want to play a Metroidvania like that!  Our game is actually going to come with a fully fleshed out roguelike mode in addition to the single player/story mode.  We plan to put the roguelike mode on early access to give backers and fans something to play while we finish the game.

We think the way most devs do early access are doing it wrong.  A bold statement from a brand new indie game studio, perhaps, but there is a thought process backing this claim!  Most indie devs go to early access selling their full game as it’s being built.  By the time it comes out, your first adopters are already tired of it and a good majority of the things to see in game have already been seen.  This is why we plan to release a side game mode in early access.   This way, we allow the players to engage with the game and give feedback on the mechanics since they will largely be the same in the story mode.  In addition, the money from the early access roguelike will be put into the main game, allowing us the funds to secure more resources (enemies, sound effects, music and attacks), which in turn can be put right into the roguelike mode ultimately improving both game modes at once.  By doing this, when the full story mode game is finished, it will be a new experience for everyone involved instead of the “eh, I’ve already played this enough during early access,” and players are essentially getting two games in one.

So please let us know what you think!  We’re always open to and appreciate feedback, and we’d love to hear what you have to say.  We also have a mailing list which you can subscribe to here http://www.omgwtfgames.net/subscribe/, in order to get updates sent straight to you as they come out.

Bonus parting gift of status effects!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 09:02:18 AM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 08:14:13 AM »

Looks cool.

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 09:11:19 AM »

Looks fairly interesting, but the whole pixel art metroidvania thing is kinda oversaturated right now. You guys certainly seem to know what you're doing though. May I suggest two things? First of all, your elevator pitch is terrible. Make it something unique, instead of a description of such a saturated genre. Secondly, I feel like it's a little strange that your main character is so dark but the enemy is so bright and contrasts well with the background. It should be the other way around. Your character looks like the enemy, while the enemy looks like the hero.

Best of luck in your development!

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »

Thanks for the feedback!  We hope to stand out above the other Metroidvanias.  I think the bonuses we have is that we're really far along into development and we have a pretty awesome skill systme.

As far as the character seeming too dark, do you see it as an overall character problem, or just in that area?  This is one of the darker areas in the game, and he does a much better job of standing out in other areas as other screenshots will eventually show.

Tig Blog: Right here   Twitter: https://twitter.com/OMGWTFGameDev Sign up for our mailing list here!: CLICK CLICK
Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:12:08 PM »

I think contrast with the environment is just a clarity problem. If he's fine in other areas, then it's fine.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Mark Mayers
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:38:40 AM »

I think I remember seeing this gif on Twitter in passing:

I thought, "Oh! This reminds me of Metroid."

You guys definitely have the feel/visuals right, haha.

Looks interesting, I look forward to seeing more!

Desolus Twitter: @DesolusDev Website: http://www.desolus.com DevLog: On TIG!
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »

I think I remember seeing this gif on Twitter in passing:

I thought, "Oh! This reminds me of Metroid."

You guys definitely have the feel/visuals right, haha.

Looks interesting, I look forward to seeing more!

Thank you!  That was actually one of our more popular tweets recently, so I'm not surprised it showed up, haha.

We appreciate the kind words, and we'll be making regular posts here on Tig for the foreseeable future as we have quite a bit of stuff to show.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 08:45:43 PM »

Update #2 - Small artwork update.

We've been working on getting more/better animations in game throughout this week.  Various flavor animations (those small ones you don't quite notice all the time, but really add to the level of polish), enemy deaths, and player attacks have all been worked on.  Here is the charge and fire animation we have for our main character's beam blast attack (the energy will change color depending on what chips you have equipped):

Aside from that, we're still building out areas, testing the transitions between them, and the general traversal flow in the main story mode.  In the roguelike mode, rather than go full randomly generated, we're doing half random, half hand built so we can make sure that there are areas in it that reward you for exploring a bit with your travel powers. We feel it's a bit more fun in the roguelike mode when travel powers can be used for alternate routes/item rewards rather than just extra ways to dodge enemies.

Here's a look at our forest area's entrance (that bee thinks he's good at hide and seek, but he's really not):

Back to the grindstone for us!  We're currently working to solve a somewhat tricky collision issue we're having, and we hope to post about it and the solution for our next update here.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:57:30 AM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2015, 06:12:29 PM »

Update #3 - Quickie screenshot.

Just a quickie here.  We have a few hazards working in game, of which, our corrosive acid is on display below:

Yes you can fall in this, yes it slows you down, and yes it EATS YOU ALIVE.  It's really best to avoid falling in this stuff altogether if you can help it!  If not, well, you'd better be a fast swimmer and get out quick.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2015, 09:58:24 AM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2015, 11:09:49 AM »

Update #4 - Dynamic Backgrounds.

Even though this is a fairly simple thing, it is a useful thing!  We are now able to change the backgrounds on the fly, which opens up some pretty fun possibilities with weather, lighting, and level gimmicks.  We're not certain we'll utilize all of these things when the final product is complete, but it is nice to know that should we come up with a cool idea for an area and the background needs to change for it to make sense, we can do it.

Here's a look at a cavern entrance as normal:

And here it is again after we've triggered the switch:

Sure, it's a simple color swap in this example, but we can fully change the parallax background to be something entirely different (clear sky vs clouds, etc).

The collision update is coming up next, but in the mean time, we're trying to solve a graphical artifact issue after having solved a sprite flickering issue.  Fix one thing, another thing breaks... such is the life of game dev.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2015, 10:58:48 AM »

Update #5 - Slideshow.

This update is going to focus on our teaching mechanic, specifically sliding.  During the game, you will receive no tutorial popups/icons and no text on screen telling you what to do/how to use your powers.  Instead, we force the player into situations where they will have to figure out how to use their abilities, being an invisible guiding hand, so to speak.  This way, players are generally led to solutions without knowing they were being led to them and get the sense of satisfaction that comes with figuring things out on their own.

Take our sliding mechanics, for example.  In this screenshot, the player is stuck in this small area (there's nowhere to go when he drops down from there and was trapped due to a faulty gate):

The player is led to an area that's built in such a way that it shows a clear path of travel, and shows them that if they were smaller, they could get through this area.  At this point in the game, the player has very few actions they can do (run, jump, shoot, and melee attack).  Testing this scenario with folks ranging from platformer experts to people who rarely play them, the solution was figured out rather quickly (which was to duck then press jump to slide through):

Further along in the game, the player is reminded of this mechanic, in addition to teaching a new aspect of it - that there are certain crawlspaces that are not apparent that one can slide through:

The player will see that item pickup, and already remembering how the slide worked before, will almost instantly realize that they can slide through here to get the item.  To the player, though, it still feels like they figured it out on their own, even though they were primed for this earlier on:

We then reuse this mechanic in multiple other places.  Some of which require that the player is playing far greater attention and remember the general location of a power up item on a map and keep it in mind as they're looking for a way around to get it.  Eventually, if they were paying attention they'll find a cubbyhole to slide into that will lead them to that power up, and since it was a pain in the ass to get, it's a good bonus (max HP +).

That's it for us for now, we'll be back with more later!

supermega_peter
Level 1

cool

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2015, 01:56:47 PM »

This looks like a promising project, I'm looking forward to reading more about the weapon upgrade combinations.

Your in game art certainly reminds me of Metroid, in a good way! I'm liking what I see so far.

Something was bugging me about this animation, I think it's that it takes less time for the gun to be lowered after the shot, when the recoil should be the fast part?

Cunnah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2015, 03:16:10 PM »

I think the problem is that the recoil doesn't quite fit with how he is holding his arm. the reason a pistol jerks up is because the muzzle is above the pivot point (more commonly known as the wrist). It looks a bit like he's deliberately lifting it. Perhaps the recoil should be a backwards motion?
OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2015, 06:00:26 PM »

supermega_peter, thanks for the encouraging feedback!  Hearing positive things keeps the energy tank full, so to speak, haha.

Re: that blast animation both of you noted - It's actually being touched up as we speak.  He's aiming a bit low in this gif, that's going to be corrected along with the speed, so the point of origin is going to be a bit higher and facing forward.  Hopefully that will clean it up overall, we'll repost here when it's complete to get your thoughts on the improvement.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »

Update #6 - Quickie:  Lawn Mower.

Just a quick update showing a few of the properties you are able to change on the gun.  We'll go more in depth about this in another post, but we call this one the lawn mower:

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2015, 11:56:54 AM »

Update #7 - Quick note.

Our latest efforts in addition to General programming have been focused around updating our animations.  We don't have any to show off right this minute, but our next update tomorrow we will be showing the updates to our character animation.  There are tiny details we've added to the animations, as well as functions within the engine to do little flavor things (puffs of smoke, sparks, etc).  It's a little touches like that that really make a game look a lot more polished in general, And have a large affect on the overall polish of the game even though they are quite minor by comparison two things like attacks and special effects.

Anyhow, that's it for us in this quick update.  Check back with us tomorrow to see gifs in motion!

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2015, 08:14:10 PM »

Update #8 - Character Animations

So, as promised, here are some updates to our general character animations!  We've updated some of our movement animations with better movement overall and small detail type things.

Here are some of the character animations:

We'll update next with some of our new shot effects.

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2015, 08:06:53 AM »

Update #9 - Brady Zal

Happy Saturday!

OMGWTF Games
Level 0

Dev-ing those games.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »

Update #10 - Lots of stats!

So we have been doing a lot of work on the rougelike mode, polishing it to make sure that it will not only look pretty, but be fun to play.  We've got a good amount of the enemies from the normal game imported, and we are continually improving the features, and as a result, it is becoming more of a standalone game.  The most recent thing we added was the addition of various "fun stats."  Things that are really not vital to the game itself, but are fun to keep track of, and fun for the player to look at.  We will tie a couple of these stats into the overall score once the player dies, which means more points to spend in stats and such, but the majority or just for fun.

Take a look below!

« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 02:12:02 PM by OMGWTF Games » Logged

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 02:02:50 PM »

Image broken for me?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic