Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 03:21:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsWishmere – pixel brawler-fighter [out now on PC/Mac/Linux]
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Wishmere – pixel brawler-fighter [out now on PC/Mac/Linux]  (Read 10577 times)
CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2015, 02:20:36 PM »

About:
Wishmere is an accessible brawler-fighting game that is a mix of Smash and the wilder elements of Blazblue and Guilty Gear. Our intention was to make something that was fun for single players, co-op, and versus (both casual and competitive players). You can play it like a beat-em-up or a competitive fighting game (we have taken great effort to balance the game!  Smiley)

Wishmere is set to release on PC, Mac & Linux on September 26, 2017!

Story:
The game's story revolves around the eternal battle between The God of Dreams and his arch-nemesis Doubt. When the world is being overrun by Doubt's forces, Elreed, the King empowers 6 teenagers to be his fighting team called the Wishmere in order to battle Doubt.

Gameplay:
We wanted players to feel like Wishmere could be played flexibly (single player, co-op or versus). Accessibility is a big thing for us, as we know that some fighting games are hard to get into. To address this, we've added several gameplay elements to keep things easy for players to jump in (simple inputs, slowing down time, Skill Trees to upgrade your character, a 4 player co-op mode)

In Wishmere, players can play with a keyboard, a gamepad or even a fightstick.

Features:
  • Simpler inputs – similar to Smash, but simpler (direction + attack button, i.e. no tilts)
  • Fate system – can use a full Fate gauge to a) slow time to a crawl (allow setups or extend combos) or b) break out of any damage
  • Edge – gauge-based character maneuvers that accentuate a character's playstyle, depending on the character (eg: a teleport to a point on the screen or a critical hit for the next successful attack)
  • Skill Trees
  • Movement - Airdashing, running, throws and blocking
  • Several game modes – 4 player co-op beat-em-up style to take down a boss at the end of a stage; single player story mode to learn the lore or fight against your friends with up to 4 players

Progress:
Currently, we're 100% complete! We're set to launch September 26, 2017!

About Us:
We're Crayder Studios, a two-man team who just happen to also be brothers (the real kind!). We've been working on Wishmere since 2015.

The game's soundtrack is being done by Zack Parrish, who composed the OST for Valdis Story. As a preview, check out Wishemere's main theme track here and a character track here.

Where can I get it?
You can get Wishmere on Early Access on Steam or Humble. We'd love to hear from you and help us make Wishmere the best it can be: any feedback you have is good!

Fore more information, our website has movelists, screenshots and details about the game system.

Thanks all!

EDIT: first post rehauled
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:48:00 AM by CrayderStudios » Logged

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 08:08:37 AM »

Update #1

Hey everyone. Our focus these last few days was the implementation of interactable items, such as health packs and H-Gauge refills. As a result we've included "Pack Enemies", high priority enemies that carry valuable items.

Our health pack enemy and the health packs he spawns.

In addition to health pack enemies, H-Gauge refills are valuable crystals that increase the H-Gauge and give players more time to complete the stage. These will randomly spawn in chests as well as from Pack Enemies.

Opening a chest and collecting its valuable contents.

We're pushing to show you guys some footage very soon, so keep a lookout for that!

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 01:35:43 PM »

Update #2

Hey guys. We're really excited to give you our first video log for Wishmere! It's the first of a running video series that will explain the mechanics and newest features as Wishmere is developed.

In terms of development, our recent focus was sprite layering. 2D Beat'em ups as a genre place great importance on sprite layering, as it indicates depth on what is really 2D. We have been working on fine tuning more complex sprite layering, focusing on how layering affects directional dynamic lighting. This will add a stronger sense of realism to the game.

Finally, Wishmere's logo has received a visual upgrade!

Our latest logo was created by the talented MossedNeuronn. You can view his other works here: http://mossedneuronn.deviantart.com/.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:55:27 PM by CrayderStudios » Logged

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »

Update #3

Hope everyone's having a good week. These last couple of days have been pretty busy for Wishmere. We've announced our second playable character, Safford! Safford is Elreed's most trusted companion. We're excited to show you his moves and playstyle soon, which will be sometime in the near future.

With Earle gravely injured, Safford is determined to protect him.`

We've also been working on two player functionality, which is coming along well. The playable build will have both Safford and Earle fully playable in one stage, so that's exciting to work on.

As things continue to flesh out, the next main gameplay element we've slated to develop are the stage features. Dynamic item spawns values (more health when more injured etc.) and scaling enemy difficulty based on the number of players are all heading your way. Will keep you posted!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 10:55:45 PM by CrayderStudios » Logged

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 12:32:47 AM »

Update #4:

Hello everyone. Time flew by these past few days and I can't believe we're already at the end of the month. How about those Evolution 2015 Ultra Street Fighter finals and GGXrd drama though? Great stuff by the competitors this year. This past week, we've worked on many things on Wishmere.

We've worked on Safford and he's got almost all his attacks done and his meta is coming along nicely. He's not a straight forward in-your-face brawler like Earle and provides an alternative gameplay style for players. He's mid-ranged and a little slower than Earle in movement and attack speed, so he's not so suited in the heart of the fray.

Safford's Ability utilizes his sword for a mid-ranged attack.

Safford's movespeed is a little bit slower than Earle.

We've also worked on the UI on the game, which we're trying to get the look and feel of it right, even on our demo. And to top it all off, we've worked on smoothening out bugs and working on the flow of the game.

We're nearing playable completion of our game, so a free playable demo is coming up real soon. Looking forward to hearing everyone's feedback!

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2015, 03:29:54 AM »

You had me at party mini games! Got any examples yet? This has so many great features and I'm pretty excited for the demo! No idea why you haven't had any replies yet these development posts are super informative Smiley

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 03:49:09 AM »

You had me at party mini games! Got any examples yet? This has so many great features and I'm pretty excited for the demo! No idea why you haven't had any replies yet these development posts are super informative Smiley

Thank you for the feedback! We're very happy you like the sound of Wishmere.

The main idea behind the party mini-games is to provide another way to interact with your friends in cool ways during stage progression. For example, in one stage players have to avoid falling bombs from the sky and knock them away before they detonate.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:07:30 PM »

That sounds like a great approach! Too often I find these games make you hate your friends for not being as good/ being better than you. So having more 'fun' sections is a cool idea!

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2015, 10:29:32 AM »

That sounds like a great approach! Too often I find these games make you hate your friends for not being as good/ being better than you. So having more 'fun' sections is a cool idea!

After a round of intense combat, sometimes puzzles are much needed! Both are fun, but in their own way. Thanks!

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2015, 12:43:07 PM »

Posting to follow! This looks like my kind of game.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2015, 08:48:03 AM »

Posting to follow! This looks like my kind of game.

Thanks! Our demo should be coming soon, we'll let you know when.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »

Ah sweet  Grin Thank you.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Keith
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »

This looks awesome and fun. My only worry is having sections of the game where it feels too repetitive. Hopefully there are different kinds of enemies, with their own ways of being taken down. The mini-game concept sounds great and should be a fun way to mix things up.

Also, every time I see the health pack, I first think it's the Canadian flag then get sad when I realize it's not. Haha.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more and I can't wait to try out the demo.

- Heads Or Fails Devlog
CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2015, 03:43:08 AM »

This looks awesome and fun. My only worry is having sections of the game where it feels too repetitive. Hopefully there are different kinds of enemies, with their own ways of being taken down. The mini-game concept sounds great and should be a fun way to mix things up.

Also, every time I see the health pack, I first think it's the Canadian flag then get sad when I realize it's not. Haha.

Keep up the great work. I look forward to seeing more and I can't wait to try out the demo.

Thanks for the kind comments Keith! I can totally see where you're coming from, that was one of our main worries to attack (no pun intended) when designing the game also. In order to prevent repetition, we have a diverse range of enemies, some with their own behavioral traits and attacks. One of our enemies is one who carries around a shield, and thus his shield will have to be broken first; or you could hit him from behind. We also have stealthier enemies, who prefer to not fight you head on and will be teleporting to escape head-to-head combat with you. Thanks very much for your input.

Now that I look at the health pack again, it does indeed remind me of the Canadian flag! Perhaps we should have a random drop in the game that includes all flags of the world Tongue

Also, I want to say thanks to all the viewers of this devlog thus far and to those that have left a comment. We really appreciate the support; it keeps us going.

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2015, 10:45:40 AM »

Update #5:

Hey everyone. It's been an extremely crazy week for Wishmere. We're in the midst of  finishing our alpha build so everyone can give it a go! We're very close to releasing it, so we've been pulling up our socks very high (and our sanity might be affected).

We're working on finalizing our actual in-game backgrounds for the game. In our screenshots thus far, we were using a placeholder background to illustrate what the actual background will look like. We're proud to say that the new background designs for Wishmere are going to really compliment our visual vision for the game!

A sneak peek of the Teamup Combination!

We've worked on and finalized a big feature in our game this week: the TeamUp Combination. It further accentuates traits specific to the characters and at times, even demonstrates the camaraderie between the two characters through post-attack taunts and through the character animations. Every combination of characters have their own TeamUp Combination (and they're not always an attack). The TeamUp Combination is only available in Co-Op play.

Doubt looms.

We've also finished up working on character animations for the demo; and that means a glimpse of our final boss: Doubt! He's pure evil and has no redeeming qualities about him. He lives as long as there is evil in the world. And he also has yellow teeth and yellow eyes, so his hygiene probably isn't very good.

We can't wait to show you guys the demo!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 01:00:28 AM by CrayderStudios » Logged

doczal
Level 0

Hobbyist

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 05:24:40 PM »

That team up combo looks sick! Wonder what kind of super attack comes out afterwards...

The main character sort of reminds me of Kyo from King of Fighters lol.

Overall I really like the look and feel of Wishmere. Looking forward to that demo!

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:03 AM »

That team up combo looks sick! Wonder what kind of super attack comes out afterwards...

The main character sort of reminds me of Kyo from King of Fighters lol.

Overall I really like the look and feel of Wishmere. Looking forward to that demo!

Thanks a lot for the kind words! The TeamUp Combination is different / unique for every character combination in our game. The TeamUp for the two characters shown here will be shown soon.

The main character, Earle has got the same laziness as Kyo and shares Kyo's (lack of) passion for his studies! He's more of a heavyweight fighter than Kyo, as he keeps his feet planted on the ground more. Thanks again.

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 07:27:01 AM »

Update #6:

Hello all. There have been a tons of things worked on for Wishmere! The alpha build is solidifying and the day of release is near! Please do keep a look out for the alpha build release and don't worry; we will notify you!

Earle discusses his training with Elreed and Safford.

One feature that has been finished and implemented for our alpha build is the Dialogue and Cutscene mechanic. In Wishmere, you can be contacted by Elreed, the King of Dreams. In these conversations (which not all are mandatory to sit through), you'll get to know more about the lore of Wishmere, some fleshing out of the characters and even some tips on how to progress in the stage. I'd say it is very reminiscent of the Lost Vikings and Megaman X series in particular.

Safford exploring the new background. ​

We're also very happy to show off our first actual in-game background! We find it fits Wishmere much more than the previous one. We've added new dynamic lighting to the stage and have reduced the 'bevel' in the lighting to make it more atmospheric and less 'realistic'. Let us know what you think. We're looking to fine-tune the dynamic lighting to the stage as we progress development. We feel this new lighting really gives it 'presence'.

The Lives System in action.​

We've also implemented a Life system, where when players reach 0 HP, they'll be knocked unconscious and return back to life, but at a cost of a Life. We felt this was necessary as the game was starting to feel a little difficult, but worry not; it's still a real challenge and besides, there'll still be plenty of time to work out the kinks and play around with the meta of the game; which we're really excited to get players in on!

Have a great week ahead, and do keep up to date with us on Twitter!

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2015, 01:13:13 AM »

Update #7:

Wow, how time passes so quickly. There's so much to Wishmere content to get you guys up to date on. Gameplay stuff and even a Steam Greenlight announcement; so let's get started!

Earle disposes of enemies while water flows behind.​

We've finally got the animation and motion down in our first stage, known as 'the Prologue'. In the stage, we've got flowing water from a sewer pipe and some faulty lights that give the sewers a dark and slightly ominous feel. We felt that both the dynamic lighting and the animation will be the factors are what will help give each stage a different feel.

A rough representation of the bombs mini-game. Edits like the shadows changing in size will be added soon.​

In addition, we've also implemented our mini-game section that will be interspersed between sections of combat. It'll challenge the players to think fast on their feet, react with strategy (hopefully) and even have a little extra fun beating their teammates (if they are playing co-op). Here's a little teaser on what to expect with the mini-games. Expect this to be much grander in the actual game / demo!

Dove enters the battle, ready for the fight ahead.​

We've also added our third playable character, Dove! She's wields a magical bow and excels from far ranged situations, but is perfectly capable of beating enemies up from up close too. She has a variety of far ranged tools and an interesting mechanic that makes her unique compared to the rest of the cast.

Wishmere will be hitting Steam Greenlight very soon (around a week's time), and we've got a great trailer coming out to show everyone what they can expect from Wishmere. In addition, we've got some other announcements coming up, so do stay tuned!

CrayderStudios
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2015, 12:45:53 AM »

Update #8:

Hello everyone! How has September been treating everyone so far? We've got an important update for Wishmere in today's devlog; we're very excited.

And as stated in our previous blog, we've got annoucements to make: first, Wishmere will be hitting Steam Greenlight within a week or so. Do keep an eye out for it!

Also, in the developmental team side of things, we would like to welcome two very talented people to the Wishmere project. First, we have a reoccuring collaborator in the speciality of music composition, Gas1312. Gas1312 will be doing the entire music soundtrack for Wishmere. And last but not least, we have a fantastic and talented artist in Lachlan Cartland, who will be working with us to craft the in-game backgrounds. The detail in his stages is tremendous and we're really happy to have him on board!

Dove is deadly at both long and close range.​

We've added Dove's Abilities, which focus on utilizing her bow and arrow for far range destruction. She can zone out her enemies extremely well and when the going gets tough, has some close ranged attacks that'll allow her to stuff enemies who fall between the cracks.

Safford slashing through enemies on the Space Station.​

We've also added another stage to the game, the Space Station. It's a space bridge built around a mysterious planet. In the background, there is a nebula-like star that looms over the players. It's definitely our most sci-fi stage and it'll be inhabited by artificially created enemies.

Keep a lookout for us in the next couple of days, where we'll announce our Greenlight page and also one more character in the works!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic