Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:37:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDestructoPod - High action trench flying demolition extravaganza
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: DestructoPod - High action trench flying demolition extravaganza  (Read 11944 times)
popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2018, 08:24:09 PM »

Hi, here is another 3D printed model. This time with a bowling ball dropped on it. Next step is to try to paint it.

I realize this doesn't have that much to do with game development, but I think I can use these models for promotional purposes. Who wouldn't want a 3D model of a blown up building?

Cheers,
 Beer!
H
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:19:55 AM by popawheelie » Logged

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »

Hi, after completing the game engine and mechanics, you still need to design as many levels as possible before the game is completed. As a solo developer the work load can be overwhelming. So I try to automate the process as much as possible.

One thing I have done is to create mini bases that are composed of multiple models that are connected together with pipes. These bases are than placed in the level and automatically conform to the terrain or canyon walls. Here is an image of six bases:

I can rotate and scale the layout of the bases as well. This allows me to adjust the base layout for things like narrow canyons or other models that could interfere with the layout. It also helps create more variety as well. This simple trick has helped save a lot of time with level design.

Cheers,
 Beer!
H

« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:19:41 AM by popawheelie » Logged

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 27, 2018, 05:33:48 PM »

Hi, here is an example of two bases that have been placed in a level. One of them has been scaled (stretched) significantly. The pipes that connect the base models together automatically extend. The pipes use a particle/spring system to allow for them to be moved around and bend easily. Static cylindrical rigid bodies are placed along the length of the pipe to handle any collisions.

One could use dynamic rigid bodies connected by hinge joints instead, but I found the particle/spring approach to be a lot faster. My levels contain a lot of rigid bodies so I try to speed things up where ever I can. However, this does require me to cheat any collision response by applying impact forces.

Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays.

Cheers,
 Beer!
H

Devilkay
Level 2

Hi! First game-dev experience!

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 28, 2018, 06:21:40 AM »

I was watching the gif posted in the first post. Is it made by michael bay? XD explosions everywhere!  Big Laff
popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 28, 2018, 04:31:47 PM »

I was watching the gif posted in the first post. Is it made by michael bay? XD explosions everywhere!  Big Laff

Michael Bay is my hero!  Cheesy

Yeah Im trying to make a game that takes mindless destruction to whole 'nother level. A total destructorama.

Cheers,
 Beer!
H

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2019, 08:07:11 AM »

Hi, I'm working on making the game models more solid. Here I'm applying some perlin noise from a stationary position. By adding constraints to the physics system I can make the model keep together more. Especially shear constraints. They do wonders.

Cheers,
H

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2019, 04:02:27 PM »

Hi, Im trying to figure out the best way to destroy a model without using an explosive. The method I'm testing right now measures joint angles. When the joint angle exceeds a threshold, it snaps the constraint. The model in the video has a very strong stationary perlin force applied to it. Sort of mimicking hurricane winds.

Cheers,
 Beer!
H

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 26, 2019, 02:48:44 PM »

Hi, Ive been testing out level layouts and fine tuning everything. Here is some game play action.

Here's to finishing this thing this year!

Cheers,
 Beer!
H
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:25:36 PM by popawheelie » Logged

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2019, 02:58:55 PM »

Hi, just a screen shot for screen shot Saturday. This image will probably end up on the web site:

Cheers,
 Beer!
H
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 09:19:17 AM by popawheelie » Logged

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2019, 07:27:33 AM »

Hi All, just finished a new teaser trailer.

Getting very close to releasing this bastard. Seems like it has taken foreveeerrr!

Cheers,
 Beer!
H

popawheelie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2019, 08:07:46 AM »

Greetings Earthlings,

DestructoPod is now early access on steam. Yay! I'll continue to make visual improvements as I get closer to the actual release. At the moment, the game seems to be running really well. No crashes reported (knock on wood).

The one thing I wish I could get a lot of help on is the controller. I'm a kybd/mouse player and find the game really easy to play using them. Controllers on the other hand, I find impossible. I added stick sensitivity and response graphs, and need people to help dial them in. Valve was helpful in getting me started. They had some great recommendations on how to setup the controller. Hopefully Ill find some controller players that will help me out.

Anyway, check it out:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1088910/DestructoPod/

Cheers,
 Beer!
H

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic