Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 05:08:22 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Solidarity
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Project Solidarity  (Read 3405 times)
Elijah T.
Level 0

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2009, 11:33:37 AM »

Project Solidarity is my "dream game."

It is a survival simulation with some surprises.

Current Progress:
- Walking and running with stamina system (the bar at the top left!)
- Basic animal behaviors (butterflies flutter about, deer graze and run away from you!)
- Swimming!
- Programmer Art!
- Colorless Game World!
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 11:38:41 AM »

Hmm... looks interesting.   I've always been a fan of dream games.   Is that your final design or are you looking for an artist?

ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 11:41:09 AM »

I like this style- even if that tree looks like a menacing stick-legged monster.

P.S.- I don't think he meant 'dream' the same way you think he meant it, Masna... Unless you're a fan of people's ideal games.

Currently brainstorming for a project
Elijah T.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 11:42:18 AM »

Hmm... looks interesting.   I've always been a fan of dream games.   Is that your final design or are you looking for an artist?

It's definitely not my final design, but I'm shooting for a similar style.  Black and white (for the most part, but more on that when I get there), and essentially very minimalistic.  I have no art talent at all so I'm definitely looking for anyone that's interested.

And yeah, the tree looks awful  Shrug
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 11:56:05 AM »

Hey, I said I liked it! Giggle

For someone with 'no art talent', you've got a lot of style. I'm curious as to the surprises, though, but I suppose it's one of those things that's better 'under-wraps until you find out for yourself, hands-on'.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 11:56:26 AM »

Might I suggest other little lines at the base, with gray shading, to imply 'roots'?
letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 12:35:27 PM »

Yeah, for sure something like that. Maybe a line towards the top of the tree to give it a top? Right now it kinda looks like a bunch of falling platformer stuff.

professor dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:43:49 PM »

this is cool Grin
for a second i thought the grass were pubes WTF
Elijah T.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 09:35:04 PM »

MICRO UPDATE!

- Tree sprite updated (I almost like it now)
- Swimming/butterfly animations
- Splash screen at the game start (oooOOOOooo!)
- Little animal tweaks
- Water still looks like garbage

I also forgot to mention that I have currently been working on this for about 48 hours.  I want most of the core features to be implemented by the end of this week.  Hopefully I can get a small demo up before then, but I don't want to give much away with it.  Stay tuned.
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 10:18:48 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up LeftKiss J'approve!

I still think it would've been interesting to approach a tree-looking object only to unceremoniously get stomped on by the camouflaged creature.

Also, maybe the water is contaminated? You may want to use the traditional but slightly silly 'squiggly waves'. It does look fit for, say, a sandy beach tile?

Elijah T.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up LeftKiss J'approve!

I still think it would've been interesting to approach a tree-looking object only to unceremoniously get stomped on by the camouflaged creature.

Also, maybe the water is contaminated? You may want to use the traditional but slightly silly 'squiggly waves'. It does look fit for, say, a sandy beach tile?

Thanks for the advice, I whipped this up real quick...

It definitely looks more like water, but the pattern is borderline optical-illusion-disorienting.  I was thinking about animating it so the "squiggles" sort of flow horizontally but that's literally a headache waiting to happen.  I think the problem is that it's hard to get something in a 16x16 tile that doesn't end up looking like that.

Any tips are very welcome.  Going to work on some actual gameplay now.
ElTipejoLoco
Level 2

You can call me Edua.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2009, 10:42:16 PM »

Vertical squiggly lines may work for a waterfall/brook/some body of liquid flowing downwards (or upwards, if you're into fantasy or crazy physics reversing super-moves) vertically.

Still looks nice, but it looks like it would be strange to see anyone's head poking out of that body of water.

JasonPickering
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

I would suggest doing copius amounts of searching for reference. really look for original gameboy games. they had a very limited color (4 i think) and small tiles here is one that is the best

http://www.mobygames.com/game/gameboy/legend-of-zelda-links-awakening

also look up survival kids, and perhaps even the mother series. all of these have the same perspective. I would say that seeing how other people have handle the problems you are facing now would really help.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic