Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:12:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Programming Languages and Compilers (WIP)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Programming Languages and Compilers (WIP)  (Read 283798 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 09, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »

The quote for construct is the quote for Flash...
Might also want to update unity, as it's now free.

It has been for a long time!  It's been mentioned several times and I've even PM'd Derek about it but... nothing.

Oh, well Tongue

tweet tweet @j_younger
nickgravelyn
« Reply #141 on: January 09, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »

XNA
Language: C#
Main Website: http://creators.xna.com/
Tutorials: XNA Wiki
Cost: $99 Creator's Club Membership
TIGdb Games: Link
I think that should be updated. XNA Game Studio only costs $99 to deploy to the Xbox 360 and submit to Xbox LIVE Indie Games. On the PC, XNA Game Studio is completely free to use.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2010, 11:01:56 PM »

Gah, noooo BYOND is horrible! Stop recommending it! It is the absolute worst thing I have ever tried to make a game with. Three reasons:

- The programming language is putrid!
Code:
obj
  sword
   Get()
    set src in oview(1)
    view() << "[usr] picks up \a [src]"
    usr.contents += src
  Drop()
    new/obj/sword(usr.loc)
    view() << "[usr] drops \a [src]"
    del(src)

- You'll never make something impressive-looking with it in terms of indie games in general. The engine forces you to use a 32x32 grid system with terrible jerky character movement. You will not find BYOND games that look much better than

- The only thing that people claim Dream Maker has going for it, the automated networking system, is a complete joke. Any action you want to do is first sent to the server, and then is sent back to you, and then you actually do that action on your screen. This means that there is a little hang before you even move one block in any multiplayer game.

I feel like taking a shower just thinking about BYOND...

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Fugsnarf
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2010, 06:47:59 AM »

Actually BYOND has made even more incredible improvements to it. The language also isn't that bad at all, it's easy and there's much you can do.

First off, anybody with a brain is -not- limited to 32x32 movement and collision. You can easily bypass that system. There's also been improvements which now allow more pixelized movement systems to work well over the servers.

Look at the Zelda demo I showed in a link. The smoothness of the movement is comparable to a Zelda game made with anything else. I have only found one Game Maker Zelda game, in fact, that is as well done in the movement as it.

You need to look beyond the Anime section of BYOND to find good games. There are many many great games out there, and many more to come with the latest improvements. I think your comments are fairly ignorant as you obviously haven't visited BYOND since the last time you tried it, which was probably years ago. Within the past two years, Dream Maker has improved to the point that anything (besides 3D, although simple ray-casting is possible) is possible.

Either way, regardless of everything you say, it fits into the list of programming languages and compilers.

If you don't like the programming language as well, you can change it to look as you wish. You can also use {}s optionally, which many people do.
Magicbeast20
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »

Gah, noooo BYOND is horrible! Stop recommending it! It is the absolute worst thing I have ever tried to make a game with. Three reasons:

- The programming language is putrid!
Code:
obj
  sword
   Get()
    set src in oview(1)
    view() << "[usr] picks up \a [src]"
    usr.contents += src
  Drop()
    new/obj/sword(usr.loc)
    view() << "[usr] drops \a [src]"
    del(src)

- You'll never make something impressive-looking with it in terms of indie games in general. The engine forces you to use a 32x32 grid system with terrible jerky character movement. You will not find BYOND games that look much better than

- The only thing that people claim Dream Maker has going for it, the automated networking system, is a complete joke. Any action you want to do is first sent to the server, and then is sent back to you, and then you actually do that action on your screen. This means that there is a little hang before you even move one block in any multiplayer game.

I feel like taking a shower just thinking about BYOND...

Well then you should probably check out the new generation of BYOND games.
http://www.byond.com/games/SuperAntx/Decadence
http://www.byond.com/games/Ruben7/ResidentEvil
http://www.byond.com/games/IccusionEntertainment/Teridal
http://www.byond.com/games/IainPeregrine/Regressia

Those are just some of the few great games BYOND can offer. Out of those above SuperAntx's Decadence rivals, if not better, Counter-Strike 2D. Ruben7's Resident Evil shows how intense and action-packed BYOND games can be. Iccusion Entertainment's Teridal is one of the greatest BYOND MMORPGs by far, and can rival and probably do better than any other indie 2D MMORPG you could show. IainPeregrine's Regressia shows how in-depth and how much freedom there is in the DM language to create a game that simulates those old time 8bit RPGs.

Never make anything impressive-looking with BYOND? Well, I believe that has been proven wrong.

As Fugsnarf said, 32x32 limit is a thing of the past. Decadence and Resident Evil both are using 32x32+ templates. Along with an action-shooter of mine. Clunky movement has been eliminated with BYONDs new capibilities of pixel movement.

Now before you go judging BYOND from a version about 3 years ago you should atleast have the common sence to look at the updates first.

The DM language has all the right to be placed in these listings.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:41:36 AM by Magicbeast20 » Logged
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 21, 2010, 04:06:11 PM »

The language also isn't that bad at all, it's easy and there's much you can do.
I disagree.

You can easily bypass that system.
Easily, huh? I'd love to see the source code to do that. I am almost certain that it isn't as easy and elegant as 'object.x += 1', which is what almost every game dev. suite/library uses. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Magicbeast20, those games you linked look as ugly and jerky as BYOND games always have.

If you wish to make a video game from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 21, 2010, 04:28:35 PM »

'object.x += 1'
*cough*object.x++*cough*
RJT
Level 0

Tis' me, Ryan!

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2010, 04:42:07 PM »

Easily, huh? I'd love to see the source code to do that. I am almost certain that it isn't as easy and elegant as 'object.x += 1', which is what almost every game dev. suite/library uses. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

If you actually just sit down and think about it, you'll easily figure it out. By the way, to move the mob one pixel, you can do 'usr.pixel_x +=1'. Of course, there is more that goes into it if you wish to create an actual game.

Also, if you are going to shun a programing language for being difficult, we might as well remove C, C++, C#, and so on.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 04:49:57 PM by RJT » Logged
Magicbeast20
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2010, 06:26:07 PM »

The language also isn't that bad at all, it's easy and there's much you can do.
I disagree.

You can easily bypass that system.

Magicbeast20, those games you linked look as ugly and jerky as BYOND games always have.

You should play Decadence.
Skofo
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 21, 2010, 06:29:24 PM »

Would if it were possible. Apparently there are no servers online and the server file is not downloadable.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: March 21, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »

LÖVE?
http://love2d.org/
Fugsnarf
« Reply #151 on: March 21, 2010, 07:06:24 PM »

As Ryan stated, you could just do src.pixel_x++ or src.pixel_y++
The normal src.x++ or src.y++ would move you using the tiled system.

If you have a brain and any knowledge of basic math, you can take your pixel_x/y location and make a collision system out of it using bounding boxes or whatever pleases you.

In the end, your arguing is stupid. I'm arguing my point that BYOND should be put on the list of Programming Languages and Compilers because it fits. You're just trying to say how much it sucks when you have no idea what you're talking about.
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 12, 2010, 06:34:02 AM »

Not like I need to be learning ANOTHER programming language or framework right now, but are there any open-source libraries for C++ that has functions similar to Flixel? (I'm also doing some iPhone stuff so Objective-C works too - even better would be a framework in whatever that worked with both, but that's just me dreaming, probably!)

Not so much the graphics/audio part, I've got that covered (although if it has those functions I wouldn't mind), it's mainly entity management, level management, collision, and the like.
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 13, 2010, 01:17:18 AM »

I think that there's a iPhone port of flixel either done, or in the works, so taking a look further into that might be an idea
Blaizer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: May 22, 2010, 04:44:08 AM »

Perl and SDL is really good. You get the flexibility of Perl... and SDL is good too. It's also fully cross-platform, which is always a plus.

Windows - www.strawberryperl.com
Linux/Mac OS X - You already have Perl

Then the easiest way to install SDL is to run these 2 commands:
cpan Alien::SDL
cpan SDL

You can find the docs at www.sdl.perl.org
A packager called SDLpp.pl is included with SDL in the scripts folder for packaging your game up into an exe, so you don't need Perl or SDL installed.

Have funnnn.
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2010, 08:22:49 PM »

I think that there's a iPhone port of flixel either done, or in the works, so taking a look further into that might be an idea

yeah there is a flixel to iphone-flixel translator in the works. Apparently the native objective-C version of flixel may come out sooner.

Here is the development thread:

http://flixel.org/forums/index.php?topic=327.150

Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 08, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »

You guys might already know this, but there's a free open source cross-platform version of Game Maker available called LateralGM.  It looks like it does pretty much everything that GM7 does, including reading the same file formats.

http://www.ismavatar.com/lgm/
Mipe
Level 10

Migrating to imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 08, 2010, 08:47:51 PM »

Ugh, the site could be a little better designed. Huh?
Taiko
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 12, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »

For those of you using Python / Pygame, some members of the community have put together additions to the basic Pygame module to help fill in the gaps.  One module in particular I've found to be helpful is Phil's Pygame Utilities.

Pygame doesn't have any native GUI support, but PGU adds it in.  It also has helpful classes/functions for path finding and keeping track of game state.

Main Website(s):  Google Code HomepagePGU Pygame Module Homepage
Community:  Posting a reply in the comments section of the Pygame module homepage would be the best I think.
Tutorials:  Contains several source code tutorials built into the download package.
Cost:  Free  Smiley  Open source Smiley Smiley Smiley
Programming Required:  Python and Pygame

tapir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2010, 12:34:27 AM »

I've just came across this: http://www.falconpl.org/
* It supports procedural, object oriented, prototype oriented, functional, tabular and message oriented paradigms
* It's very easy to write C extensions.
* It's almost as fast as Lua.
* Below is a valid falcon script (unicode)
Code:
// International class; name and street
class 国際( なまえ, Straße )
   // set class name and street address
   नाम = なまえ
   شَارِع   =  Straße
   // Say who am I!
   function 言え!()
     >@"I am $(self.नाम) from ",self.شَارِع
   end
end
// all the people of the world!
民族 = [ 国際( "高田 Friederich", "台湾" ),
   国際( "Smith Σωκράτης", "Cantù" ),
   国際( "Stanisław Lec", "południow" ) ]

for garçon in 民族: garçon.言え!()
* Falcon vs other languages: http://www.falconpl.org/index.ftd?page_id=facts
* A brief tutorial: http://www.freesoftwaremagazine.com/articles/falcon_programming_language_brief_tutorial
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic