Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:54:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Programming Languages and Compilers (WIP)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Programming Languages and Compilers (WIP)  (Read 269960 times)
Niwdz
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2007, 03:56:58 PM »

can Adventure game studio make 2d side scrolling games? Because I looking for a free one
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2007, 10:56:35 PM »

So if I want to make a pretty big game would it be better for me to use C++ or C#?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2007, 11:22:36 PM »

From what I gather, knowing only one of them myself, the differences between the languages aren't really related to the managability of large projects. C# is faster to write, but it's restricted to platforms supporting the .NET framework (i.e. only Windows). C++ is more portable and more efficient at runtime (assuming the code you write is efficient), and - having been around for longer - has more libraries and general community support. It really depends on how you define big, and how important development speed and efficiency respectively are. haowan's probably the man to ask, I gather he's got experience with both.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 11:27:59 PM by KingAl » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2007, 12:57:40 AM »

From what I gather, knowing only one of them myself, the differences between the languages aren't really related to the managability of large projects. C# is faster to write, but it's restricted to platforms supporting the .NET framework (i.e. only Windows). C++ is more portable and more efficient at runtime (assuming the code you write is efficient), and - having been around for longer - has more libraries and general community support. It really depends on how you define big, and how important development speed and efficiency respectively are. haowan's probably the man to ask, I gather he's got experience with both.

Right on, thanks for the reply Smiley

I think I'll probably just end up trying them both out and seeing which one is better at handling it.

I may opt for C++ just because it seems like it has a lot more of a base.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
baconfish
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2007, 02:22:55 PM »

C# is faster to write, but it's restricted to platforms supporting the .NET framework (i.e. only Windows).
I was under the impression that C# programs don't need to use the .NET framework. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (since I'm planning on starting a 2D game engine in the near future and would like to use C#). Mono is an opensource project to port the .NET framework to other systems (ie, Linux), and there's even the Tao framework that covers a whole bunch of libraries you'd need for writing a cross platform game.
waruwaru
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2007, 03:28:27 PM »

C# is faster to write, but it's restricted to platforms supporting the .NET framework (i.e. only Windows).
I was under the impression that C# programs don't need to use the .NET framework. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (since I'm planning on starting a 2D game engine in the near future and would like to use C#). Mono is an opensource project to port the .NET framework to other systems (ie, Linux), and there's even the Tao framework that covers a whole bunch of libraries you'd need for writing a cross platform game.

MS VS compiles C# codes into executables that requires the .net framework installed.  Mono is somewhere between .net 1.1 and 2.0.  MS plans to release .net framework source code and that might help the Mono project down the road.  Someone started a Mono.XNA project on google code...  Unless you really care about C#, I think you can achieve better cross platform with C++.

The only thing that C#+XNA has now, is ability to run on Xbox via MS Creator's Club.  But your audience will be seriously limited because you would need to pay $100 + Live! subscription to even try your game on xbox.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 03:30:32 PM by waruwaru » Logged
postlogic
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2007, 01:45:58 AM »

Not really that important, but you might want to add Tribal Trouble to the list of games under Lightweight Java Game Library :-)

Fun little game, that.

No animals were harmed during the making of this post. Except one.
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2007, 07:02:15 PM »

I've just released Pycap - can it join the list? It's python embedded into the PopCap game framework, so it's easy to dev for and renders fast'n'pretty. It's been used for Polychromatic Funk Monkey, Snaky Jake, and FUSO Truck Empire, which means it's shown up in freeware, casual games, and advergaming  Grin

Some details:

Pycap
Language: Python (Interface to PopCap Game Framework is in C/C++, all source included)
Main Website: http://www.farbs.org/pycap.html
Tutorials: Pending.
Cost: FREE!
Games of Note: Pending.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2007, 04:05:55 AM »

The DL link is broken for me.

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2007, 05:06:56 AM »

Sht. Case sensitivity trips me up every time. It should work now.

Ta for the heads up.
nayon
Level 5

dickfish

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 01, 2007, 05:45:23 AM »

The scintilla.org link is also broken :D

Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: December 01, 2007, 06:54:18 AM »

Embarrassed
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: December 01, 2007, 07:09:57 AM »

That looks very sweet Farbs, I'm going to give it a look.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2007, 11:29:32 PM »

So what compiler would be my best bet for getting started with programming in C? I downloaded Visual C++ Express 2008 but I think it may be slightly advanced for me. I am just looking for something that is intuitive and that I can start using immediately upon install (or soon thereafter). I heard that Dev C++ is a pretty good one...

Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2007, 12:07:27 AM »

Yes, Dev-C++ is a very good one, although it's a while since its last update (and since it bundles the MinGW compiler - Dev-C++ is only the IDE - it includes a very old version of it). But to learn C/C++, Dev-C++ is great.

~bs~
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 12:45:50 AM »

Yes, Dev-C++ is a very good one, although it's a while since its last update (and since it bundles the MinGW compiler - Dev-C++ is only the IDE - it includes a very old version of it). But to learn C/C++, Dev-C++ is great.

Right on, thanks Smiley

jankoM
Level 0

Beat around the bushes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2007, 03:30:22 AM »

Maybe you could add D http://www.digitalmars.com/d/ language to the list. It has openGl, SDL, openAl... bindings and also few game engines made (arcLib..). The games of note made in it are most of games from ABA Games.

It gets no love and is perhaps not ideal for game development, but I really like Processing. Because its Java based it might not be quite as newb friendly as basic or python and definitely isn't as easy as the graphical game makers.

I would say it si much more newb friendly compared to python or basic, because it has a very simple way to go into gameLoop and draw stuff without any modules classes or anything (pygame was not simple to me when I first looked at it and I was python web-developer)

this little of code gets you a screen and rectangle and a circle running on it in 60 fps.
Code:
int xy = 0;

void setup()
{
  size(200,200);
  frameRate(60);
}

void draw()
{
  background(100, 100, 150);
  ellipse(100, xy, 10, 10);
  rect(xy, 100, 20, 20);
  if (xy > 200) xy = 0; else xy ++;
}

The bad side of processing shaky audio support but it can be binded to JOAL (openAL).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 03:43:11 AM by jankoM » Logged

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2007, 08:55:52 AM »

Yeah, D looks like a really cool language. I want to give it an honest try.

Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2008, 12:51:32 AM »

Will this be extended to cover language and API tutorials? From that perspective, NeHe (OpenGL) is a must, and I've come across a fairly alright looking (or at least, in my lack of knowledge of SDL, organised) SDL tutorial.
oneup
Level 1

worth 1000points

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2008, 06:06:41 AM »

i'm currently trying lisp. but more for the educational value thaan practical considerations.

besides that i'm a python fanboy (but only because i have the prejudice that ruby is too slow for gamedev).
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic