Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 09:36:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Programming Languages and Compilers (WIP)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Programming Languages and Compilers (WIP)  (Read 278962 times)
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2008, 09:35:13 AM »

Yes, Dev-C++ is a very good one, although it's a while since its last update (and since it bundles the MinGW compiler - Dev-C++ is only the IDE - it includes a very old version of it). But to learn C/C++, Dev-C++ is great.

Right on, thanks Smiley

I reccommend that one too, it's working well for me Smiley

Nikica
Level 5

Remember, it’s all in your head.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2008, 11:21:15 AM »

Yes, Dev-C++ is a very good one, although it's a while since its last update (and since it bundles the MinGW compiler - Dev-C++ is only the IDE - it includes a very old version of it). But to learn C/C++, Dev-C++ is great.

Right on, thanks Smiley

I reccommend that one too, it's working well for me Smiley

3rd that, here are some tutorials: http://www.cplusplus.com/
                                   http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=index
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2008, 01:53:41 AM »

3rd that, here are some tutorials: http://www.cplusplus.com/
                                   http://www.cppgameprogramming.com/cgi/nav.cgi?page=index

Sweet, that C++ tutorial looks pretty rockin'.

I'll have to add that to the language thread.

Man, I can't wait until I start getting into C++...

btw, I was wondering: should I start learning C++ now or wait until after I have used C for a minute?

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2008, 03:40:59 AM »

The C++ 'idiom' is different from that of C despite the shared semantics, and frankly easier with the standard library etc. If your aim is just to learn C++, I'd skip C, but I guess if you want to have both C and C++ under your belt there's no harm in doing it that way.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 03:44:42 AM by KingAl » Logged
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2008, 06:00:26 AM »

Yeah, I was talking to one of the professors on campus and he basically said the same thing. He said that if I really wanted to do C++ eventually it would be a good thing to start learning it before C due to the fact that I might come into C++ with a bunch of preconceived notions about what to expect and how to do things in the language but he also noted that it isn't a bad thing to know C as well.

I think I am just going to continue with C (well for this semester at least...mostly because I am required to use it for my programming class) and move onto C++ in the near future. Or possibly I might just start taking a look a C++ to familiarize myself with it and who knows maybe I'll start working on C++ sooner then I think.

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2008, 06:33:22 AM »

Generally, the less C you know before going into C++, the less terrible C-style code you'll write. However, since pretty much every tutorial I've seen uses at least some horrid C stuff, i guess you'll have to figure that out by experience.

bigbossSNK
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2008, 03:28:16 AM »

I found this little tool that rates programming languages on how they deliver in terms of CPU cycles, memory usage and source size (all based on submitted programs, for each language, that attack the same problem).
Computer language benchmark game
This should clear the water for some common (and not so common) computational problems.
Al King
Level 1

Nobody expects...

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2008, 03:48:23 AM »

I like the incitement to "manipulate the multipliers and weights to make your favourite language the best programming language in the Benchmarks Game" -  Fun With Statistics 101 :D
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2008, 12:31:39 AM »

Construct is a free and open-source alternative to MMF2 and Game Maker. It has DX9 stuff and pixel shaders and shit. It's awesome.

december
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2008, 07:36:41 AM »

Construct is a free and open-source alternative to MMF2 and Game Maker. It has DX9 stuff and pixel shaders and shit. It's awesome.
I balk at it since the pixel shader stuff is pretty much on by default meaning the sysreqs are higher than need be by default.

Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBC code and smileys may be used in your signature.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »

PyCap is basically the same as the PopCap framework, only you get to work with Python instead of C++.

FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2008, 08:41:24 AM »

Pyglet is a cross platform library that is showing a lot of progress very quickly. I've been playing around with the 1.1 alpha 2 version and really enjoying it.

They did a presentation at linux.conf.au that shows how quickly you can put together a scrolling shooter. I believe that's using 1.0.

Some bullets from the site:
  • No external dependencies or installation requirements. For most application and game requirements, pyglet needs nothing else besides Python, simplifying distribution and installation.
  • Take advantage of multiple windows and multi-monitor desktops. pyglet allows you to use as many windows as you need, and is fully aware of multi-monitor setups for use with fullscreen games.
  • Load images, sound, music and video in almost any format. pyglet can optionally use AVbin to play back audio formats such as MP3, OGG/Vorbis and WMA, and video formats such as DivX, MPEG-2, H.264, WMV and Xvid.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2008, 09:48:32 AM »

Hey, nice. 

I want to pick up the basics of either GameMaker or something similar before I teach a game design workshop this fall - the idea being I want to have something I can recommend to people who really really want to do video games (vs the board game sorts of design exercises I'm going to use for teaching purposes) but have no programming background.

Would you recommend Construct over the free version of GM?  (Emphasis on free because I'd like to keep it as accessible as possible.)

these are from an actual radio shack in the ghetto
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: April 10, 2008, 10:18:03 AM »

Oh hell yes I would. It's awesome, and updates are released pretty frequently. They just came out with 0.94.2.

joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2008, 11:03:42 AM »

Sweet, thanks.  I'll give it a test run.

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »

Generally, the less C you know before going into C++, the less terrible C-style code you'll write. However, since pretty much every tutorial I've seen uses at least some horrid C stuff, i guess you'll have to figure that out by experience.

what's with all the c hating here?  (not just this post but the others before it to)
I like c for whipping things out fast.  Sometimes I just don't want to deal with objects Smiley 
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2008, 08:38:37 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong with C itself, but when C-style code makes its way into C++ it's kind of ugly.  I mean, if a language gives you more elegant solutions, sticking to the clumsy ones is just weird.

But, you know, if you're the only one who looks at it and it really is quicker for you, more power to you.

Javilop
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 11, 2008, 01:22:10 AM »

I don't know if we can post our own tools here, I'm sorry if I'm breaking any rule I haven't seen.

Do you think it is possible to add my free engine www.indielib.com to the main page of this post?

I have already introduced it here: http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=490042

Thanks!
joshg
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »

Okay, I gave Construct a test run last night.  I went through the tutorial in maybe an hour and had a working shmup!  This was a way better first impression than GameMaker, I'm hooked.

Now the only sad thing is I totally wish I had given this a try in time for the VGNG comp!  I may just have to whip up a belated VGNG piece of insanity with this just because I can.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: April 15, 2008, 01:19:27 PM »

Awesome! Make sure to pick up the newly released update though, it has a few necessary bugfixes and a few new features.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic